Possibility of Future WINE (Linux) Compatibility?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
protozone

Possibility of Future WINE (Linux) Compatibility?

Post by protozone »

Hello,

Although I currently use Linux (because I nearly completely gave up on Microsoft Windows!), I still use a lot of Windows-compatible software.
I used to be a proud user of MultitrackStudio Pro Plus, and I really liked it tons. I still miss those times.

Lately I have been running a lot of 32-bit Windows programs via WINE (a Linux front-end or back-end for Windows softwares).
On primarily Debian and Ubuntu systems, I can consistently get 32-bit Reaper to run. Unfortunately, I'd rather be running MultitrackStudio instead of Reaper. Is there any chance that MTS could be made slightly more compatible so that it would run on the current Wine-staging for Debian?

As far as I can tell, the only thing that doesn't work when running the MTS demo is the windowing function; windows don't properly pop into view and stay in view; they are therefore not editable. Other than that, all else Windows functionality and compatibility seems to be there.

This implies to me that it's simply a minor adjustment that needs to be made somewhere within MTS to accommodate WINE's current inability to obtain this window animation. Consider it a feature request: toggleable animated window popping and collapsing function. If tradition Windows windowing was available as a feature, I'm pretty sure the program would run with minimal fuss on WINE, and therefore the Linux market would be broken open for MultitrackStudio to sell to them.

Please consider this. I really love MultitrackStudio Pro and would buy it again. I just can't stand the Windows OSes anymore (except for Windows XP, which is clearly unsupported).

If you need any other infos about this I can gladly provide. I've been doing this type of thing for several years now.
Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
"protozone"
Support

Re: Possibility of Future WINE (Linux) Compatibility?

Post by Support »

I doubt opening that can of worms is a good idea, to be honest. Most likely it turns out to be not that easy, and it's going to take quite a lot of time that could be better spent on something else.

WINE is open source, isn't it? You can fix it yourself :mrgreen:

Giel Bremmers
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Or try windows 7, works like a charm :mrgreen:
Saz

Post by Saz »

sinbad wrote:Or try windows 7, works like a charm :mrgreen:
+1
protozone

Post by protozone »

Well, ALMOST everything works.
The main setback is that the menus don't all work. Mainly the DEVICES and STUDIO PREFERENCES menu commands don't work.
But all of the keyboard commands seem to work, and except for the TRACK menu, and maybe something else, everything else works.

I can even test VST's after I load up a click track and change it to a VST instrument track.

The main problem is that the system defaults have too high of latency for MIDI and I can't get into the preferences.
I wouldn't mind manually editing the preferences file, but I don't know what to put in there.

Seriously, I don't think much of a bugfix is needed.
The main GUI section works fine, I think. It's just some of the most important menus which jump out of view right after jumping into view.

I had severe problems with Windows 7 which is why I don't want to use it, and it's costly, but I'll consider it.
MtStudio is a great program. I got better music done back then with it.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Windows 7 pro 64 bit original license key goes for about $5-10 on ebay, all legal. A download of the OS costs nothing. The updates are a bit of a pain, but they stop after a while.
protozone

Post by protozone »

sinbad wrote:Windows 7 pro 64 bit original license key goes for about $5-10 on ebay, all legal. A download of the OS costs nothing. The updates are a bit of a pain, but they stop after a while.
Hey, thanks very much! That might work out.

I did some testing again in Linux / WINE. The Wizard menu works, so I was able to set the devices and get some audio work done, but I still can't get into the full preferences of the menus. However, the ALT keys do work :) So I can still test it out.

It's a little bit instable on my MX Linux system, but not totally bad. It works well enough to remind me of how much I like MtS.

I could dual boot, but the downside is that Windows automatically erases all other OSes! :cry: :roll:
I worked really really hard to get a nice Linux system that I like a lot more than Windows. For a dual-boot, Windows has to be installed first, and then Linux over the top. So I guess I either have to get a new hard drive or computer, or erase everything and start over ??!?!?! :lol: :roll: :shock:

But anyways, thanks for what you said. You gave me some more options. It's just too bad I can't run it as is. FL studio works, Reaper works, a ton of my old Windows 98, Windows XP, and Windows Vista/7 programs work. If it weren't for the bouncing windows, it'd be just fine and I could just purchase and go.

I really do NOT think it would require a programming code overhaul.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Get yourself an SSD they are getting cheaper and cheaper. My old asus boots in under 20 seconds compared with up to two minutes with a 5400u/m drive :mrgreen:
protozone

Post by protozone »

sinbad wrote:Get yourself an SSD they are getting cheaper and cheaper. My old asus boots in under 20 seconds compared with up to two minutes with a 5400u/m drive :mrgreen:
Are SSD's fast enough during write mode for Pro Audio? I remember that NAND flash devices are fast on reads yet slow on writes.
Also, how many years do they last for? What about the "garbage collection"/TRIM maintainance issues?

Or am I overthinking it?

I do remember successfully running MtS Pro Plus on an old 5400 rpm hard drive on Windows XP SP2 (and I think I might have even run it briefly on Windows 98 SE). Anyways, it was nice. I miss Windows XP, but when I last tried to install Windows XP on my laptop it was difficult.

Thanks for your consultation.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

SSDs are guaranteed by the manufacturer for a number of years, some 5, some longer. They are fast enough for anything in audio, pro or otherwise. They don't like defragmentation, but windows recognises an SSD and doesn't automatically defrag. Look at the specs and compare read/write performance.