MIDI CABLE?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Ladegn

MIDI CABLE?

Post by Ladegn »

Hi All,

So, I did some reading up on MIDI and watched a bunch of You Tube. I played around with the MTS Software and made some little ditty's with the on screen keyboard to get the hang of creating a MIDI track, selecting the sounds, and seeing what the various displays look like; piano role, notes, etc.

I have an old Yamaha YPT-300 keyboard. It has MIDI IN/OUT. I bought a USB/MIDI cable from the music store. It has a two connections for the keyboard, MIDI IN and MIDI OUT on two cables that go to what I will call the HUB, and then a USB cable to connect to the computer.

I followed the instructions (Hosa Technology Track Link MIDI to USB Interface) and plugged the USB in first without connecting the keyboard. I am using Windows 7, 64-bit, and the computer detected the device and located and installed software. Again, no keyboard connected yet.

I then connected the keyboard and went through the user's manual to set the keyboard with the local off, and in PC mode. Nothing. MTS shows a MIDI input, but I am wondering if it is detecting the cable device.

I tried PC 1 and PC 2 modes, also tried sending a signal to the computer, nothing. On the HUB there area three LED's. The red indicates a proper USB connection and it was illuminated. The blue indicates data going to the keyboard from the computer, and the green indicates data from computer to keyboard.

I searched several sites on the Internet and saw a suggestion of switching the in and out cables on the keyboard. I did this and saw some momentary flashing of the blue light. Still, nothing as far as input.

I went to Yamaha's website and downloaded drivers they had for my computer and they would not install saying a device was not connected. I also tried removing the drivers for the cable and this still did not work.

I did download a program from Yamaha for transferring files back and forth between the computer and the keyboard and it has a connection checker. No connection. I tried various modes on the keyboard.

So, first off, are the Yamaha MIDI-Computer cables proprietary in that you need one specifically for a Yamaha device. Or second, do you think the cable I bought is bad?

Spent about four hours messing with this, so I did try to find the answer before coming here.

Thanks much!
André Giroux

Re: MIDI CABLE?

Post by André Giroux »

Under studio menu>Devices>Properties> in the Midi Devices IN & OUT, have you selected your device in the drop down menus? If not you should make sure your device is selected in there. Hope that helps.
Andre
Ladegn

Post by Ladegn »

Andre,

The first thing shown in that window is the driver set, and it shows Vista Sound. Clicking the properties tab at the upper portion of that drop down window shows the MIDI devices. The only option I had for input was USB 2.0 MIDI or words to that effect, which is what the Cable/Hub installed when I plugged it in. My device does not show up.

MIDI In devices shows "1" as there is just a number box and under options, 1 MIDI device showed under recording connections.

Thanks,

Fred
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

Hi Fred,
In my experiences with different midi devices in MTS, it has recognized them with no issues. That includes midi drums kits, keyboard controllers which some were connected USB or midi cables. I don't understand why your device is not showing up, maybe the boss can guide you through this. Giel!!!
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

just in case :oops: , have you setup a midi track in record mode for a signal to come through? IMO you would need the drivers for your cable MIDI/USB and just plug in your keyboard and select the proper device in midi in devices! And activate the Mon button for monitoring.
Support

Post by Support »

Ladegn wrote:The only option I had for input was USB 2.0 MIDI or words to that effect, which is what the Cable/Hub installed when I plugged it in. My device does not show up.
"USB 2.0 MIDI or words to that effect" is the one. Select that as MIDI input device. And, like Andre said, add a MIDI track and engage its Rec button.

Now you should the level meter move if you play the keyboard. If not you can try swapping the two 5 pin connectors that go in the keyboard.

Giel Bremmers
Ladegn

Post by Ladegn »

Thanks, guys. I tried all of the above.

I picked up a little MIDI keyboard that works through USB before work today.

I will try that out later tonight.

Will advise.
Ladegn

Post by Ladegn »

I got a Line 6 Mobile Keys 25. I can return it in seven days with no penalty if I do not like it. I am having a ball. Experimenting with different sounds.

I will get to the bottom of my Yamaha issue. I paid about $150 for it in 2005 and it has wonderful sounds...tired of recording the sound output and getting noise in the wav files, which I why I wanted to make the jump to MIDI.

Thanks again to all!

Fred
Terabapuno1

Post by Terabapuno1 »

The red indicates a proper USB connection and it was illuminated. The blue indicates data going to the keyboard from the computer, and the green indicates data from computer to keyboard.????

== Chess ==
fogle622

Post by fogle622 »

Sometimes the order devices come online or power up makes a difference on when, or if, a midi port "turns on".

Try starting MTS then connecting the midi ports.

Turn on the keyboard with the midi cable connected to the computer then starting MTS.

Look in your keyboard manual to see what it suggests.