Win/Mac song portability

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
steve64

Win/Mac song portability

Post by steve64 »

By looking at song files (.hdr), it seems that a project is not currently portable from Mac to Win and viceversa.
One problem I see is due to explicit OS-specific file naming inside the song file for plugins like "filename=DSK Saxophones.dll". But there can be other aspects.

Of course I may accept the constraint of aligning plugins in terms of type (all VSTs) and versions.

But yet I do not see a strategy to jump across platforms when working on a song project.
For instance I use a Mac at home and a Win PC when outside and I would like to copy the current folder for a song to another device and restart from that.

Is there any suggested strategy or future plan to overcome such issue ?
Support

Re: Win/Mac song portability

Post by Support »

steve64 wrote:Is there any suggested strategy?
There is: don't look at the .hdr files and just do it :mrgreen:
MultitrackStudio songs are compatible with the Win, Mac and iPad versions (except for things which aren't available on other platforms of course).

The .hdr files are still compatible with MultitrackStudio 1.0, which was Windows only. That's why some things may look Windows-like, even if you are on Mac.

Giel Bremmers
steve64

Post by steve64 »

Thanks Giel.
I will try soon actual inter-platform migration cases to identify a common set of requirements,
but you are giving me really great news !
steve64

Post by steve64 »

Is it also possible to cross-transfer a song using a same plugin XYZ but in AU format for Mac and VST format on Windows ?
Support

Post by Support »

steve64 wrote:Is it also possible to cross-transfer a song using a same plugin XYZ but in AU format for Mac and VST format on Windows ?
No. The plugin formats have different ways of storing the user settings, so that wouldn't be possible at all I think.

Giel Bremmers
steve64

Post by steve64 »

Thanks Giel, understood. You are right.