Automation...

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Lytz1

Automation...

Post by Lytz1 »

And another one.

I can't figure out how to record automation. I can manually search through 1000 parameters on a VSTi and add it and pencil a line in,
but I can't somehow record via the GUI-Knobs in realtime. It **should** work, right?

Thanks,
tL.
Support

Re: Automation...

Post by Support »

Lytz1 wrote:It **should** work, right?
No, unfortunately. The manual is pretty clear about that:
All automation movements have to be programmed using a control's Automation Editor, which works just like an Automated Fader effect. It's not possible to record fader or knob movements directly.

Giel Bremmers
Lytz1

Post by Lytz1 »

Support wrote: All automation movements have to be programmed using a control's Automation Editor, which works just like an Automated Fader effect. It's not possible to record fader or knob movements directly.
Ah okay. No big deal. I program curves most of the time anyways.
But it is possible to copy between CC and automation I guess, right? I think I've read it somewhere...
(BTW: Why no Automation presets like in the automation fader plugin? Would be quite useful, no? )

Do the instrument slots have Midi-thru? I think not, I think I've checked that already.
However, that would be very helpful to midi-learn parameters in fx plugins.

This would basically nullify the shortcomings of MTS inability regarding automation not being recordable in real-time...
(at least for quite a lot of plugins)

Thanks & best,
tL.
Support

Post by Support »

Lytz1 wrote:But it is possible to copy between CC and automation I guess, right?
Of course.
Lytz1 wrote:Why no Automation presets like in the automation fader plugin? Would be quite useful, no?
What would you like to do with such presets? It doesn't strike me as very useful.
Lytz1 wrote:Do the instrument slots have Midi-thru? I think not, I think I've checked that already.
Not quite sure what you're after, but plugin instrument can receive MIDI only.

Giel Bremmers
Lytz1

Post by Lytz1 »

Support wrote: What would you like to do with such presets? It doesn't strike me as very useful.
Lytz1 wrote:Do the instrument slots have Midi-thru? I think not, I think I've checked that already.
Not quite sure what you're after, but plugin instrument can receive MIDI only.

Giel Bremmers
Okay. Let's go.
First: why Automation presets? You mean for stuff like faking LFO Waves for example?
Sines, Triangles, all that good stuff? Complex Modulation curves?
Or you really want us to pencil-in every time everything from scratch? Pretty sadistic.. :mrgreen:

Especially Multi-Point envelopes are quite difficult to pencil in.
(Envelopes that are not Point A to Point B in a linear fashion. Very **unnatural** sounding automation...
Pretty much work every time, isn't it? Usually, no one uses linear automation.
That's why major DAWs have options for Bezier/expo/log curves usually since decades.
(I have to admit that MTS is extremely outdated in terms of automation in general.)

Second: I am talking about Midi Thru on the **Slot** of the MTS/AUi/VSTi Instrument.
Which means, that a filter plugin that is in slot 2 can MIDI-learn CC messages...
That would help to overcome the shortcomings of MTS automation-wise because we could Midi-learn
a parameter on a FX-plugin and then record the CCs in real-time. In my book a big advantage, but you might
see that from a different perspective... ;)

You would just need to enable receive-Midi on all insert slots on a track, that's it. Automation recording problem solved.

(You know, Midi-Thru like on a hardware Synth? Basically, you chain another Synth right behind it. So you can
set the first to Midi Channel 1 and the second to midi channel 2. And the first one lets Midi "Thru".
But I am sure you know that, or don't you? :mrgreen:

Thanks & best,
tL.
Lytz1

Post by Lytz1 »

Oh, you didn't say that Automation is saved in presets as well...
That's pretty nifty man... This helps quite a lot! Awesome hidden feature.

What is dearly missing though is an option to either link the automation to track content movements or even better would
be some kind of automation editor. (like the song editor on a per-track basis)
so that we can cut/copy/paste automation around in one go.
(Or is this somehow possible already and I overlooked it?)

When you just have one parameter automated, everything is easy. But usually, you will automate quite some parameters per plugin.
Going then through everything lane by lane is kinda devastating in terms of spent time and workflow.

Just having some sort of batch-editor for all lanes at one would be a **huge** timesaver.
Maybe you can think about that a little bit.

Thanks,
tL.