Split drums into separate tracks

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
moxol

Split drums into separate tracks

Post by moxol »

Can you record drums into 1 track and then split all notes (drum parts) into separate tracks so that snare, bass drum, cymbals... be in individual tracks?
I mean some automatic action, not copy and paste notes.
rsrockinron

Re: Split drums into separate tracks

Post by rsrockinron »

Hopefully you are talking about a midi drum track. If you are the way I do it is to

Add Midi track. Then in the original drum track open the editor and click "select all" amd then copy

On the new midi track open the editor and click paste. Then I right click on any instrument and remove any instrument that you dont want in that track.

I usually. use four tracks for drums Cymbals - toms - snares - Kicks (some times I even put cowbell and handclaps etc in their own track)
This also is a good way to edit volume and pan each group of instruments. Makes for a real full sound,

Also once I get the volume and panning set I'll add a group track tack so I can easily control overall volume with one fader.

Hope this helps and enjoy. I can usually get this done in about 5 minutes

It is also a very good way to compress your bass guitars using a side chain just to your kicks . You will eliminate your low end muddiness and keep the bass from walking over on the kick drums
moxol

Re: Split drums into separate tracks

Post by moxol »

Thats a one way to do it, but I was hoping that there's some more efficient way to do it then copy, paste and delete.
Certainly your method helps, thanks.