Cannot Record Using mp3 Files

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Rupert

Cannot Record Using mp3 Files

Post by Rupert »

Hello,

I can't get MTS to switch to record mode when using mp3 files.

I've downloaded a mp3 encoder and I think I've done everything correctly.

But the record function will not engage.

If I open another track up in .wav there's no problem.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
sinbad

Re: Cannot Record Using mp3 Files

Post by sinbad »

A few questions:
Win or Mac?
Which MTS version

What are you trying to do? Are you loading an mp3 file as backing and recording on a new track? That works fine on my system, so you may be doing soemthing wrong.
Please describe exactly what you are doing and maybe someone can help.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I'm running Windows 10 64-bit. Using MTS Pro.

I'm trying to record tracks in the mp3 format so I can e-mail them.

I've downloaded the LAME mp3 encoder and when I create a new song>add track everything seems to be okay. I choose mp3 as the file type.

I'll get the track showing it's a mp3 file.

The green play light will be lit up. But when I click on the record button, it should light up red and it doesn't.

So for some reason I can't record.

Now if I follow the same process selecting the file type as .wav, everything works just fine.

Thanks
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

AFAIK MTS will not record direct to mp3. You have to record them in wav and then convert them to mp3. See extract from the help file.

MP3 files
MP3 files use a lossy compression algorithm that degrades sound quality. The resulting file size is 3..9% of the original size. This makes MP3 the format of choice if you want to publish your songs on the internet, or if you want to send them via email.

Every time a new MP3 file is created the audio quality can be chosen (Medium, High or Very High). High and Very High quality files use the full samplerate (44.1 or 48 kHz), Medium quality files will use half the samplerate (22.05 or 24 kHz).

An MP3 encoder is required in order to create MP3 files. You can search the web for such a file.

The 32-bit version expects a 'lame_enc.dll' file in the C:\Program Files\MtStudio folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\MtStudio on 64 bit Windows). The 64-bit version expects a 'lame_enc64.dll' file in the C:\Program Files\MtStudio folder. If there's no dll file any ACM codecs which are on your system will be used. The ACM codec that comes with Windows usually supports creating medium quality files only.

Note that MP3 is NOT the format of choice for multitrack recording: not only does sound quality suffer, the MP3 encoding/decoding process consumes a lot of processing power as well.

You can mixdown a wav track to mp3 in MTS, but using the Lame encoder in standalone you get a better control over the quality and thus the size of the compressed file. Just load the finished file into the encoder and select the bitrate and encode.

I hope this helps
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Thanks, I'll try that.
Support

Post by Support »

Rupert wrote:But when I click on the record button, it should light up red and it doesn't.
That means there's no suitable mp3 encoder. Did you download a 64 bits lame encoder? A 32 bits one won't work with 64 bits MTS.

Giel Bremmers
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Yes I did download the 64-bit. I thought that would rectify the situation but it didn't. I get the yellow "no mp3 encoder found" warning when I try to mix down using mp3.

And the red recording light won't engage when trying to record using mp3.

I followed the instructions: copy the lame_enc.dll file to the "C:\Program Files\MtStudio" folder. On
64 bit Windows it's the "C:\Program Files (x86)\MtStudio" folder.

The file is sitting in the 'MTStudio' folder and still nothing works.

One question though from Sinbad's reply...if you can't record in the mp3 mode why are you given the different options when adding a track?

The drop down menu for the file type gives you a number of file type options.
Support

Post by Support »

Rupert wrote:I followed the instructions: copy the lame_enc.dll file to the "C:\Program Files\MtStudio" folder. On
64 bit Windows it's the "C:\Program Files (x86)\MtStudio" folder.
Those are the instructions for 32 bits MTS. The 64-bit version expects a 'lame_enc64.dll' file in the C:\Program Files\MtStudio folder.

Giel Bremmers
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Hi Giel,

I did paste the 64-bit version in the folder.

I didn't make that clear enough.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I can't get it to record direct to mp3 either, when I look at the properties of an mp3 track it states that it is read only.
the Lame-enc needs a front end to be able to use it in standalone. I use Razorlame, which gives you lots of flexibility. (https://sourceforge.net/projects/razorlame/)
cidbil

Post by cidbil »

Hmmm...interesting, I just tried recording to an mp3 track, and didn't have any problems.....not sure what's going on..
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I downloaded the 64bit package and put the lame_enc dll in the MTStudio folder, and had the same problem as Rupert. Then I renamed the lame_enc.dll into lame_enc64.dll and Bingo, it works.
From what I can gather, Lame is for 32 or 64bit but MTS expects the name with the 64, and somewhere along the line it got lost.

Anyway, workround, rename to lame_enc64.dll :D