Can't find my Waves plugins in MTS

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
sinbad

Can't find my Waves plugins in MTS

Post by sinbad »

Hi All,
has anyone experience with Waves plugins in MTS? I have downloaded the Waves Central and installed some plugins but MTS can't find them, and there is no way in Waves Central to define which folder to install them. They seem to be spread all over the place with shells and dlls and I can't make sense out of it.
Reaper sees them ok.

Any ideas?
cidbil

Re: Can't find my Waves plugins in MTS

Post by cidbil »

I've had similar problem with other plugins.....sometimes they end up in C:vstplugins folder, rather than the vst folder in MTS....HTH
nickb2010

Post by nickb2010 »

I completely gave up with my whole WAVES collection. I manually put the 64 bit .dll into the MTS VST folder. A older version worked OK, but the newer one were a nightmare. Anyway, after running any WAVES plugin, my Soundcard (Roland OCTA-CAPTURE) shut down after closing MTS :shock: :shock: :shock:

Life seemed too short to bother with the hassle....

Nick B
Saz

Post by Saz »

Hey Guys,

I could write a book on the steps I took(and hours I spent) to get Waves working with MTS after the October 2015 Waves update. The one that gave us the new Waves Installers and Waves Central that screwed up Waves for many.

But, as briefly as possible, below is what finally worked for me with my Windows 7 64 bit system, the latest MTS(at the time) and V9 (up to 9/10/2015) Waves plugins to get back to a new normal. Most of what follows is paraphrased from a post in another forum...

- I downloaded the offline Waves Complete v9r30 installer for Windows. It included everything Waves offered and I had licenses for (up to 9/10/2015). It can still be found at http://www.waves.com/downloads/multirack under "Legacy Versions", as "V9 Plugins*" Mac or Windows. It's around 1.2 GB

- All my licenses were on a USB stick(with nothing else on it), but just to be safe, I moved all of them to the Cloud using the newest "Waves Central". You should do this if your licenses are on your hard drive. You can download the newest "Waves Central" here... http://www.waves.com/downloads/central

- You may want to backup your Waves presets before the next steps (I didn't). :( Search for .xps files.

- I uninstalled all Waves plugins with "Waves Central".

- I uninstalled "Waves Central" through Windows Control Panel's "Programs and Features.

- I searched my PC for anything "Waves" and got rid of it - except for the "Waves Complete v9r30 Installer" and "Waves Central" downloads.

- Rebooted my PC and ran the "Waves Complete v9r30 Installer". I had to check the plugins I had licenses for and where I wanted to install them. This also installs the old Waves License Center. (The old Waves License Center will most likely suggest you update it - do it with the saved download or online - just don't use the new "Waves Central" to install or activate any plugins.)

- In the new "Waves Central" I logged onto my account and moved my licenses back to my USB stick.

- Rebooted, started MTS and once again my Waves plugins were available.

I would love to try some of the newer Waves plugins, but for fear of royally screwing up the works again - I'll pass. HTH
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Thanks for the detailed info Saz. Unfortunately I downloaded a new plugin "Waves Tune Real time" which was on offer at $29. After installing that, no waves plugins worked.
I tried your approach to get the old one working, but somehow seem to have screwed up my licenses. All of a sudden all my plugins were not activated and I couldn't access the licenses.
I've reloaded and will try and contact waves for a solution.
It never ceases to amaze me how software companies can screw up a perfectly good system. I should imagine they have done more damage to their company by overcomplicating things than any illegal copying did. Why they don't offer to load into a folder of your choice is beyond me. The weird thing is that Reaper recognises them all with no problem, so it isn't just Waves but also MTS.
I'm probably going to ditch them if it does't sort itself out soon.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Update. I reinstalled everything with the new Waves Center and moved the WaveShell-VST 9.91.dll and WaveShell-VST 9.91_X64.dll to C:\programs (x86)\VST and C:\programs\VST(64).
Then I changed the MTStudioLinks.txt to include and put it in the C:\programs\VST(64)

C:\Program Files (x86)\VST
C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Plug-Ins V9
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

I set the vst folder in MTS preferences to C:\programs\VST(64).
When I open the plugin window I can see the WaveShell-VST 9.91_x64.dll on selecting this I then get a list of my Waves plugins from which I can then select one. Bingo!!

I seem to have lost contact with all my old 32bit plugs, but tha is probably a mistake in the MTStudioLinks.txt. Any Ideas on that Giel?
Saz

Post by Saz »

Glad you got it working, sinbad!

I remember trying something similar with v9.6, without success. I tried a shell-to-vst-converter with no luck and on and on.
It never ceases to amaze me how software companies can screw up a perfectly good system. I should imagine they have done more damage to their company by overcomplicating things than any illegal copying did. Why they don't offer to load into a folder of your choice is beyond me.
Amen and Amen!
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I have managed to get my 32bit plugs back working. Jeesh what a hassle, it has taken me almost a whole day to install and use one plugin. I'm glad I'm not getting paid for this shit.
Support

Post by Support »

sinbad wrote:I have managed to get my 32bit plugs back working.
I guess they stopped working because you changed the VST path in the Preferences window, so the folder with the 32 bit plugins was no longer being scanned?

By the way: Waves plugins use a VST 'shell', which pretty much nobody else uses. MTS can't run such plugins 'bridged', so 64 bits MTS can't use 32 bits Waves plugins and vice versa. This may explain some of the problems with Waves plugins.

Giel Bremmers
nickb2010

Post by nickb2010 »

I viewed this WAVES issue philosophically...Could I live without it....YES....Could I live without Multitrackstudio....NO :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: