track-level transpose

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
steve64

track-level transpose

Post by steve64 »

Hi Giel,
It would very helpful, and probably not requiring too much effort, to implement a track-level transpose option
for MIDI tracks.
What I mean is just a simple Transpose field (maybe in the Instrument right panel, where Channel is located)
that allows to apply a pitch offset (positive or negative) to all notes passed to the instrument.
One use case for this, important for me, is when using the Multi MIDI editor with multiple tracks
with each track playing a drum element. The transpose would allow to choose a MIDI "logical note" in the
Multi MIDI pianoroll that can be different from the real note played by each track instrument.
Support

Re: track-level transpose

Post by Support »

Is there any reason why you're not using the Drum editor?

Giel Bremmers
steve64

Post by steve64 »

Let me give you an example.
Let create 4 MIDI tracks, each one with an instance of same virtual instrument (e.g. AAS Chromaphone)
but playing a different percussion patch (kick, snare, hat, crash) using a specific MIDI note.
I want to use the Multi MIDI editor by selecting all the 4 tracks that must be edited together with
different colors.
The issue is that with current MtStudio I'm forced to select MIDI notes that are not overlapped.
But I would like to be free to choose the best note for each track, maybe also the same
(C2 could be the best for both kick and snare with some patches).
The track transpose would solve this issue since I could decouple the note in the pianoroll (or in drum view) from the actual note sent to the track instrument.
Support

Post by Support »

OK. Note that the Drum editor doesn't have this overlapping note problem: there'll be separate 'lanes' for each track even if they use the same note.

Giel Bremmers
steve64

Post by steve64 »

Great news. I was not aware of this.
Even if not applicable to pianoroll view, it's a good starting point since my need is basically for drums.

However, in spite of the color map below, different lanes would still show the same note on the left.
I know you can customize the names in a VST-specific file, but when using the same VST
for all drum tracks this does not help.

So the Transpose option could be still appealing.
Another solution could be to allow to directly change the lane names for a song project
as many other DAWs do.