Buffer Overload

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
NHGH232323

Buffer Overload

Post by NHGH232323 »

Hi, I've been using Multitrack Studio Pro for a couple of years now, every so often when I'm recording (with a live band using 4 - 6 tracks) I get these "Buffer Overload" messages, it used to happen very rarely but it's getting more and more frequent. There seems to be no pattern to it, sometimes I'll go 3 or 4 sessions with none of these buffer overloads then it will consistently happen multiple times in one session for no apparent reason. I don't have any other programs open and the only effects I have on are a bit of reverb on the guitar and the drum overhead. I'm using Windows 7 on a HP probook.

Any idea what I can do to prevent this occurring? I make primarily improvised music and it's really getting on my nerves that the momentum gets killed because of these continual interruptions when the transport stops.

I'm pretty terrible with computers so let me know if you need more information to answer my question adequately.

Thanks
Aaron
sinbad

Re: Buffer Overload

Post by sinbad »

I get that too, especially when I restart a previously stopped track while the transport is moving. My cpu usage is at about 15% at the time so it isn't cpu overload. Could it be that MTS is a tad too sensitive with this?
Support

Post by Support »

Please let me know what the message says exactly next time it happens. There's no 'buffer overload' message in MTS, but it does have a couple of messages related to buffers.

Giel Bremmers
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

When you want to show someone something it never happens :? I have been trying to cause a buffer overrun but it wn't have it. What have you done Giel :lol:
Support

Post by Support »

Usually me saying "See, there is no problem!" is enough to make all sorts of things go wrong immediately :mrgreen:

Giel Bremmers
NHGH232323

Post by NHGH232323 »

Yeah sorry I meant Buffer Overrun, from what I remember it usually says something along the lines of "Buffer Overrun, using too much processing power. Hints: Turn off effects, close down background programs" something like that. I'm going to do some recording later tonight so I'll see if it happens and take a screenshot.

Thanks for the responses!

Aaron
Support

Post by Support »

That has to do with audio recording. Is the computer connected to the internet while you're recording (via WIFI perhaps)? You could try disabling that temporarily in order to keep Windows from downloading updates etc.
Any chance a virus scanner or something like that is kicking in? You could try looking at the Windows Task Manager when the problem occurs, maybe you can see what the computer is doing.

If it happens, please save a screenshot and also save a report to the desktop (see http://www.multitrackstudio.com/contact.php). You can send them to support@multitrackstudio.com later.

Giel Bremmers