Any one like Curtis Mayfield?

Post links to songs you recorded using MultitrackStudio.
DoctorWu

Any one like Curtis Mayfield?

Post by DoctorWu »

I grew up in Detroit listening to both black R & B and US & British Pop/Rock. I am a pale white man, however. I Graduated High School in 1971, that should explain my musical era. (I saw the famous 1st Beatles appearance on the Ed Sullivan show live in February 1964...)

Started recording in 1982 briefly, then again briefly in 2001-2003, then quit until 2013, and have played and recorded music almost everyday since. Have many musical faves, including , CSN, Neil Young, Curtis Mayfield, the Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Rod Stewart (when he is with The Faces), Pink floyd, Steely Dan, Frank Zappa, and many others.

Here is a link to my production of Curtis Mayfield's "Little Child, Runnin' Wild" from the "Superfly" film soundtrack. I used a "talk-sing" approach to the vocal, in keeping with the original.

The basic rhythm track was created on my Yamaha PSR-270, in Jan 2013 using the built in Styles, which produce back up rhythm tracks bases on the chords you play on the keyboard. To that I then added Intro and ocassional Electric Guitar, Place on my 1976 Ibanez Musician guitar, an Intro and closing Organ part, played on my Yamaha and later re-recorded with my Korg MicroArranger, intro strings and horns on same two keyboards, Wah-wah guitar throughout, and two vocals of mine.

listen at: https://soundcloud.com/doctor-wu-2/litt ... -15-0935am
fogle622

Re: Any one like Curtis Mayfield?

Post by fogle622 »

Hi DoctorWU,

My first post as I'm new to the forum and just getting a feel for things. Just so you'll know, I've got a few years on you so I'm very familar with music of that era too.

Very nice rendition. Don't hear much Curtis Mayfied anymore and that's a shame because he recorded some good music.

I enjoyed your singing and your choices for backing tracks. Great job and I hope you'll post some more!