Vocal Effects Stereo Panning: Copy of "She's Leavng Home"

Post links to songs you recorded using MultitrackStudio.
KenHardy

Vocal Effects Stereo Panning: Copy of "She's Leavng Home"

Post by KenHardy »

I commented earlier on the potential power of stereo panning of vocal effects within MTS for iPad, despite the absence of a real dedicated stereo effect loop processor within the app to accomplish it (.....hello Giel, hello Giel!!). Here is an example of what such an effect sounds like when manually created the old fashion way within MTS for iPad: https://soundcloud.com/drdrdaddeo/shes- ... l-kh-mix-4. This is a copy recording of "She's Leaving Town" done by Dave Larroquerre and myself (Dave on lead vocal and me on backing vocal and instrumentation). You will definitely need a decent set of stereo headphones to fully appreciate what I am trying to explain to you here: Heavily compressed and with reverb, both provided by MTS, the lead vocal stands out centered nicely against the background of full symphony orchestra. My backing vocal, however, was double tracked with reverse stereo panning added using techniques I described in my most recent posts. Two separate mono backing vocal tracts were needed to accomplish this. My two dry backing vocal tracks were panned 75% left and 75 right through the master stereo outputs, with no output whatsoever through the master effects channel. The same dry double tracked backing vocal tracks were then copied to two new vocal tracks, and heavy room reverb was add to each track. The reverb effect was "APPLIED" to each respective backing track, allowing subsequent directional panning of either of these "effects" tracks either left or right through the master output channel (again fully independent of any output through the effects return channel). Those two "effects tracks" were then 100% reverse panned right versus left into the master stero output. This yielded output of dry double tracked backing vocals separated 75% left vs right from the master channel, with the pure stereo reverb of each of those two tracks reverse panned 100% right versus left from the same master stereo output. Great separation capable of fooling the human ear. Even a vocal clown like me can sound as good as John Lennon by such a simple exercise. Of course it would be much easier if Giel would just give us such panning options within the MTS effects processing section itself (hint, hint), but the point is that it can still be accomplished the old fashion way, even within the current iteration of MTS for iPad.

No Charge folks,
Dr. K/Drdrdaddeo/Ken Hardy
Professor Emeritus