MultitrackStudio for iPad: Tutorial Videos!

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
dinoroo

MultitrackStudio for iPad: Tutorial Videos!

Post by dinoroo »

Due to a lack of good videos on Youtube on this great DAW, I put together 4 video tutorials myself. For now they are quite simple instructional/how-to/features and capability-type videos:

Tutorial 1 covers importing midi files into MultitrackStudio for iPad, the song editor, the time & tempo editor, using soundfonts within the app. I explore these features by creating a quick drum track from midi drum loops from Dropbox into MTS. I used purchased midi loops from Groove Monkee (highly recommended), but there are lots of other purchased and free ones out there, too.

Tutorial 2 covers converting midi tracks into sound in MultitrackStudio for iPad. Thumbjam is used as an example to convert midi directly to an audio track using Inter-App Audio. As an alternate, midi data is sent to Z3ta+ and the resulting audio is recorded back to MultitrackStudio with Audiobus.

Tutorial 3 covers processing recorded audio tracks using various IAA effects from apps, as well as built-in effects in MTS. I show how to mix down multiple audio tracks to a single track. I also take some recorded clean guitar and add distortion with JamUp Pro, convolution reverb (with custom IR Cabs) using the MTS IAP (and the free 3rd party app Fiddlicator as an alternate), and lastly I round out the guitar tone with EQ.

Tutorial 4 covers recording midi data into MTS from other apps. I'll show how to record multiple midi channels at once from an app, in this case 4 midi channels from Xynthesizr, and then I'll show how to record with virtual midi, in this case from Genome Midi Sequencer.

Link to the videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/WMSFLL/videos

I've got a few more planned, including the midi editing features, the matrix sampler, mixing/EQing, the effects loop, mid-side EQ, sidechaining, outputting/exporting a finished song. If you have any critique, "better ways", or requests on other subjects you would like to see covered, please let me know.
Support

Re: MultitrackStudio for iPad: Tutorial Videos!

Post by Support »

Man, that's awesome. Thanks a million!

A couple of comments (nothing important):

Video 1:
- The Snap button may come in handy when copying bars in a track editor. The needle snaps to the grid while Snap is active.
- The pianoroll can zoom vertically using two fingers on the left hand part (the vertical keyboard). This makes grabbing notes easier.

Regarding the end of video 4 where the recorded virtual MIDI data doesn't appear in the editor until transport stops:
That's a bit weird indeed, but difficult to solve unfortunately. I was hoping nobody would notice because the user would be playing the 'other' app with his/her fingers. That's not the case, apparently ;-)

Thanks again!

Giel Bremmers
dinoroo

Post by dinoroo »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm working on a midi editing tutorial video right now and I'll be sure to include your suggestions! I wasn't aware of the snap tool.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for the tutorials. Those are very helpful.

Just a couple quick suggestions from my viewing of the first one.

In both the MIDI track editor and the tempo/time-sig editor, there is a part select mode button (probably should be called "region" or "section" select). With that you would avoid having to use that "select right" and "unselect right". With Snap Mode on, you can get your first tap on the first try or two.

I also noticed you didn't use any zoom functions at all. Man, I could not work that way. I zoom horizontally and vertically almost constantly. Helps the viewer to see the big picture without all that panning around.

You can pinch on the keys or on the lowest part of the screen.

That's all I've got.
dinoroo

Post by dinoroo »

I just added Tutorial 5; Basic Midi Creation/Editing

This video covers the basic creation and editing of midi notes in MTS. I use a couple of examples to demonstrate creating and using a click track, editing single notes and groups of notes at the same time, adjusting pitch, quantization, using the keyboard, chord and guitar windows. using the song editor to copy and paste bars, expanding a single note to a chord, and outputting a midi drum part to another drum app.

Link to the videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/WMSFLL/videos
dinoroo

Post by dinoroo »

Part 6 is finished: Advanced midi controls, the guitar instrument and midi pitch pending, the midi control panel, editing midi data such as pitch and velocities, setting up a loop for recording, sound on sound (SoS), the midi drum kit instrument, the midi score (music notation) window and editing.

I've just finished redoing all of Part 1-5 to include your suggestions, make them more concise, with better audio quality and overdubbed narration. Part 1 - 6 are all combined into one video now. Part 6 starts at 30:00 in the video.

http://youtu.be/mG0apJfy3iE
Support

Post by Support »

Great. Thanks again!

Giel Bremmers
tmon

Post by tmon »

Sweet! Great job dinoroo!
dinoroo

Post by dinoroo »

I just added the Part 7-12 video. I kept the parts brief by using one or two examples of each:

Part 7: The matrix sampler, including importing wav files and direct midi to wav conversion from another track. The new direct midi to piano roll import feature in version 1.8.

Part 8: Using the Convoluter effect to create a room reverb, the master out effect slots.

Part 9: The automated fader effect

Part 10: Using the effects loop.

Part 11: Effects and mixing, The Dynamics effect including sidechaining/ducking, EQ, adding a low cut filter, and Compression including the new Multiband Compressor in ver. 1.8.

Part 12. Automation. Creating a song fade-out, and a stereo pan sweep.

I don't explain what the effects do in this video, as there are many other tutorials and guides on the internet that explain in great detail about EQ, compression, sidechaining, etc. In the future I'll want to do more on the new Multiband Compressor once I wrap my head around how to best use it.

https://youtu.be/rLHA4H44jQ0
kanwal

Post by kanwal »

I have been waiting for over five months for a new iPad audio-MIDI interface to appear so I can use it with my MTS-for-iPad App. My old Griffin studioconnect has only only a 16 bit sampling rate, has no phantom power or USB-IN for my controller boards, and Fritz's out repeatedly (I'm on my third replacement unit). The new Griffin StudioConnect HD and the Alesis Core 2 interfaces promise 24 bit sampling, USB-IN hubs, MIDI DIN jacks, and phantom power...but neither unit has become available after years of promises, and neither Griffin nor Alesis will confirm that they ever will. The Arturia AUDIO-FUSE (2015 NAMM ANNOUNCED) promises all the above plus lots more (at $599!!), but is also still unavailbe. Does anyone know of a digital interface that will work with an iPad air, that has a powered USB-In port, MIDI-IN/OUT DIN jacks, phantom power, and intrument/mic/line ins with at least 24 bit AD/DA conversion. P.S. The FocusRite iTrack lacks MIDI DIN jacks and doe not accept a USB hub, while the Alesis iO Dock II has MIDI DIN, but neither fits an iPad air, nor has a MIDI IN hub for use with a controller keyboard. I've been stumped for months with this problem. Any suggestions out there?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post by dinoroo »

kanwal wrote:I have been waiting for over five months for a new iPad audio-MIDI interface to appear so I can use it with my MTS-for-iPad App. My old Griffin studioconnect has only only a 16 bit sampling rate, has no phantom power or USB-IN for my controller boards, and Fritz's out repeatedly (I'm on my third replacement unit). The new Griffin StudioConnect HD and the Alesis Core 2 interfaces promise 24 bit sampling, USB-IN hubs, MIDI DIN jacks, and phantom power...but neither unit has become available after years of promises, and neither Griffin nor Alesis will confirm that they ever will. The Arturia AUDIO-FUSE (2015 NAMM ANNOUNCED) promises all the above plus lots more (at $599!!), but is also still unavailbe. Does anyone know of a digital interface that will work with an iPad air, that has a powered USB-In port, MIDI-IN/OUT DIN jacks, phantom power, and intrument/mic/line ins with at least 24 bit AD/DA conversion. P.S. The FocusRite iTrack lacks MIDI DIN jacks and doe not accept a USB hub, while the Alesis iO Dock II has MIDI DIN, but neither fits an iPad air, nor has a MIDI IN hub for use with a controller keyboard. I've been stumped for months with this problem. Any suggestions out there?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you looked at the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4? I'd recommend posting your question on the Audiobus forum here: http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/490/r ... -interface

Post by KenHardy »

I think I can give you just what the doctor ordered. It is the PreSonus AudioBox iTWO. It is specifically designed to work with the ipad, but also works perfectly with PC and MAC. It has everything you asked for (plus more), except a powered USB IN port (there are no iPad interfaces available yet that have that). The iTWO has 24bit sampling, two multi-input Ports, MIDI DIN, PHANTOM POWER, AND EVEN wireless wi-fi transmission. It both powers itself and trickle charges the iPad directly from the iPAD's power supply. It is an awesome little interface that blows the quirky StudioConnect away (I've already been through three of the SC's.).

By the way, the powered USB HUB issue is really a non-issue with regard to MTS. All you need is a good powered USB hub and an apple 30 pin or lightening camera connector kit (CCK). Plug your USB keyboard, drum pad etc. into the powered USB hub and then output the hub into your iPAD through the CCK......whallllaah, you're ready to record into MTS. I have an old M-Audio KeyRig 49 USB KEYBOARD which works perfectly by this approach (but which can't power up connected straight to my iPad (air). Truthfully, I mainly use MIDI DIN in/outs for recording/playback, but I wanted to al least be able to use USB keyboards if I ever needed to. Be this approach, a powered USB SLOT on an iPad interface is not needed, and thus the reason no such interfaces exist yet. The Audio-Fuse promises to, but is way too expensive for my blood. I negotiated with a local music dealer and bought my iTWO for $140....it rules.
Dr. K.
Cykosabatron

Post by Cykosabatron »

Any chance of instruction how to use sound fonts? Which sound fonts work best? Do I need to get "sound font player" for example? Or load fonts some other way? At this point I'm looking mainly for natural and electronic drum sounds and some bass sounds.

Basically, I have problems syncing rhythm tracks to MTS but if I load the midi file to MTS It works great. But the stock kit on MTS is not the sound I'm looking for.....thought I'd just load Soundfonts and change it up a tad.
Support

Post by Support »

Cykosabatron wrote:Any chance of instruction how to use sound fonts? Which sound fonts work best? Do I need to get "sound font player" for example? Or load fonts some other way? At this point I'm looking mainly for natural and electronic drum sounds and some bass sounds.

Basically, I have problems syncing rhythm tracks to MTS but if I load the midi file to MTS It works great. But the stock kit on MTS is not the sound I'm looking for.....thought I'd just load Soundfonts and change it up a tad.
MTS includes a SoundFont Player. Tap it's SoundFont box and choose import. There are several options. Document Picker gives access to dropbox if the dropbox app is installed.

Giel Bremmers
Franklin

Post by Franklin »

Any help on how to get that DKFH soundfont?

Thanks