Middle C and GM midi drum map

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
erikbojerik

Middle C and GM midi drum map

Post by erikbojerik »

Proud new owner of MTS here - after doing several days homework I chose this over all other iOS DAWs because of the ability to have any mixture of time signatures in a project. Much appreciated.

But today I lost an hour trying to get midi notes to play MTS's internal drum kit. Turns out that if you set Middle C to be C4 (as dictated by formal music theory) then all the drum kit note assignments are off by one octave; i.e. the internal drum kit wanted closed HH on F#2 when the GM Midi Drum Map standard is F#1. That's why I wasn't getting any sound.

So the internal drum kit doesn't actually conform to the GM drum map standard unless you set Middle C to be C3 (preferences), but this doesn't conform with music theory. IMO this really should be fixed so that both standards are met.
Support

Re: Middle C and GM midi drum map

Post by Support »

It really works the way it's supposed to. GM says closed HH is on MIDI note 42. If you want note 60 (middle C) to be C4, note 42 will be F#2.

Giel Bremmers
erikbojerik

Re: Middle C and GM midi drum map

Post by erikbojerik »

Thanks Giel - but it is not "me" who wants Middle C to be C4. It is fundamental music theory, someone decided it way before I came along.