monitoring IAA instrument on midi track

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
erikbojerik

monitoring IAA instrument on midi track

Post by erikbojerik »

I am trying to use a midi file for bass guitar (exported from Logic) that I imported into MTS to play an IAA instrument. I've tried Thumbjam and iFretless Bass without hearing any audio; I would guess that I am missing something simple.

The file plays the MTS internal bass guitar so I don't think the file is an issue, the problem with the MTS internal bass is that it has no range below D1, and I have notes that go down to A0 that need to be played (which both Thumbjam and iFretless Bass can do).

The order of operations is (1) open Thumbjam & select the desired instrument; (2) open MTS with the midi file already loaded; (3) select TJ in the IAA instrument slot, enable the play button on the track and play the midi track. No audio. I also get no audio if I follow the above steps and use MTS's keyboard to play TJ; no audio.

What am I missing? iPad Pro, iOS 9.1, all latest app updates
erikbojerik

Re: monitoring IAA instrument on midi track

Post by erikbojerik »

(BTW forgot to mention, I had enabled all the midi connections in both MTS and TJ)

Seems to be an issue with midi file import. The only way I could get this to work was to select all, copy from the track containing the midi file, and paste into a new midi track. Now TJ plays with no problems. But the midi file is still useful because it contains all the tempo and time signature changes, so it would be great if this worked as expected. I am happy to send the midi file if it would help.
Support

Post by Support »

erikbojerik wrote:(BTW forgot to mention, I had enabled all the midi connections in both MTS and TJ)
You need to make sure the IAA app responds to MIDI message on the channel MTS sends them to. The easiest way to do this is by switching the IAA to 'omni' mode, if it supports that. In omni mode it simply responds to MIDI message on any channel.

MTS won't let you change the MIDI channel while an IAA is loaded in an effect slot. To work around this you can temporarily load the SoundFont Player in the slot, change the MIDI channel, and then load the IAA app again.
erikbojerik wrote:I am happy to send the midi file if it would help.
If the suggestion above doesn't help please send a copy to support@multitrackstudio.com

Giel Bremmers
erikbojerik

Post by erikbojerik »

Support wrote:
erikbojerik wrote:(BTW forgot to mention, I had enabled all the midi connections in both MTS and TJ)
You need to make sure the IAA app responds to MIDI message on the channel MTS sends them to. The easiest way to do this is by switching the IAA to 'omni' mode, if it supports that. In omni mode it simply responds to MIDI message on any channel.
The midi channel setup was the same in both cases (loaded midi file vs notes copied/pasted into new midi track), TJ played in the latter but not the former (and TJ has the best midi implementation on iOS).
Support wrote: MTS won't let you change the MIDI channel while an IAA is loaded in an effect slot. To work around this you can temporarily load the SoundFont Player in the slot, change the MIDI channel, and then load the IAA app again.
In this case ThumbJam was in the instrument slot, not an effect slot. But thanks for the tip on setting the midi-out channel.
Support

Post by Support »

The file you've send uses MIDI channel 7. Are you sure you've set up the IAA apps so they respond to channel 7?

If you add a new MIDI track this new track will use MIDI channel 1 by default (if there are no other MIDI tracks already). This probably explains why this track works.

Giel Bremmers