IAA Generator

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Hansson

IAA Generator

Post by Hansson »

I have user MTS for a short while now and i really enjoy it, the only thing iam missing is IAA Generator support, so i can record audio from IAA.
i noticed it in some other posts but i think it has been forgotten or something,

but take SynthMaster player for example. i can use as IAA (midi) but i cant record it without audiobus
(it takes so much more time to start up everything with audiobus)

it would be much faster if i could freeze the midi and get the audio or if it would be possible to add Synthmaster Player as an IAA on an audio Track and just send midi to it from a different midi track.

i think you understand what i mean, like in cubasis, i can add SMPlayer as IAA in an audio track, add a second midi track an output to SMPlayer and record the audio simple as that.

regards

Awesome APP btw
Littlewoodg

Re: IAA Generator

Post by Littlewoodg »

My experience with IAA, post iOS 9, is that IAA and audio in-device was destabilized across the board.
But on an case-by-case basis, and intermittent sometimes in each case! It's become a commonplace for audio to die, using IAA, requiring restart of the involved apps. Some apps are still cool on IAA and now some are not. My solve with all these IAA issues including SM is using AB in MTS, which has been stable in spite of iOS 9

I also do really like the MTS feature in which note info in an IAA instruments editor can be dragged into an audio track editor and presto makes audio...but since updating to 9, IAA stopped working for some synths (not all, and not my favorites), I've relied much more on AB.

Btw, Synthmaster has a known midi bug, seperate from MTS, that the devs have communicated about, which messes with IAA integration, (midi interface doesn't respond to user commands inapp, among other things)
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

@hansson
I stand corrected, sorry about that- the Synthmaster update for midi went live and was of no help with IAA functionality in MTS. I see the issue is as you said, Synthmaster is behaving like an IAA generator rather than Instrument. The odd thing there is that there doesn't seem to be Generators vs instruments in IAA anymore...or that Synthmaster is the only one.

Used to be DAW lists of IAA synths would notate Inst. v Gen, this is no longer the case, that I've seen inside BM2, MTS, Auria Pro, Cubasis...Instrument now is used denote an instrument vs. effect, when that app can be used for both.

In the case of Synthmaster, it seems to be an issue of that synths midi implememtaion, and what's needed from a DAW to get it to respond to midi sequencing.

As it happens, the synths like Synthmaster that don't work in MTS as IAA (there's Telepathy, and hanging notes in all the Icegear synths) need a virtual midi connect from a DAW that MTS has when using AB, where Cubasis and Auria Pro have a virtual midi connect that is selectable for both Audiobus and IAA instances...
Support

Post by Support »

If an IAA generator generates audio all by itself (ie. you don't have to touch it) you can longtap the track's name button and choose 'Copy to new audio track'. Does this solve your problem?

Giel Bremmers
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

Support wrote:If an IAA generator generates audio all by itself (ie. you don't have to touch it) you can longtap the track's name button and choose 'Copy to new audio track'. Does this solve your problem?

Giel Bremmers
Back when iOS 7 (was it 7?) added IAA functionality, some synths were called "generators" some were called "instruments".

For my purposes the "instruments" were the preferred option, because MTS could sequence them in its midi editor and play them from its own GUI, and render that midi data to WAV. in-app.

Generators on the other hand would make MTS meters jump (when played from the synths own GUI) but could be not be played from MTS or sequenced from MTS.

Synthmaster is acting like a "generator" when assigned as an IAA source inside MTS: can't be sequenced, played or rendered to audio, but it's audio can make MTS meters respond.

Another IOS DAW lists Synthmaster as an IAA instrument, and Synthmaster can be played, sequenced from within that DAW, (but not rendered directly, see below) but this doesn't mean instrument v generator anymore, it's just used to denote instrument app v effect app...

The terminology of IAA "instrument" v "generator" is no longer current....

On a practical level, I avoid the whole morass by using AB in MTS, which is stable and reliable, and works with all my synths...(50+)

The other DAWs use something like MTS "Virtual MIDI apps" selector when assigning apps or onboard instruments to midi tracks, (in which one can point midi data at any target, including IAA synths), this midi assignment is a seperate step, additional to choosing the synth from the set of available IAA synth apps.

EDIT as it happens these other DAWs can sequence Synthmaster via midi snd play it from their own GUI, but aren't anymore so me to render the midi data as audio without a workaround - route output from Synthmaster channel to an audio track, just like MTS AB... Issue is in Synthmasters IAA implementation....

For the record the list of synths that don't play well as IAA in MTS is short. Synthmaster is one, the Icegear synths get hung notes (Lorentz, Laplace, Cassini) but intermittently. This may been be user error, as I can be quite a dork. The hung notes don't happen when Icegear stuff is used in AB.

Meanwhile, the latest advent of that other DAW, with its differing features, is not (for me) an occasion to change MTS in any way, especially to make it resemble that other DAW...(this apropos of comments made elsewhere, when another DAW went live and suddenly "we" needed features and GUI like that one, in MTS)

And now of course one can avoid the whole IAA/AB midi issue, by simply selecting a synth from MTS's AU instrument menu...even though there is just the one synth right now, iSem happens to be a killer synth, and not just a preset "player"
:D
Support

Post by Support »

I'm open to the idea of making recording IAA apps as audio easier. Synthmaster is a bad example though. I just tried it. It's not a generator, it's a MIDI instrument but it doesn't respond to MIDI via IAA. Looks like a Synthmaster issue to me.

Giel Bremmers
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

I've tried to find other synths that don't play nice as IAA in MTS, and I think it's the same as Synthmaster in these other cases: the synths own implementation of midi/IAA...of the 50 or so i tried... :D
Synthmaster is buggy in more areas than this...
Hansson

Post by Hansson »

True Synthmaster i buggy, but it works really good in Cubasis though, but MTS is way beyond Cubasis in other areas,i dontknow what to do :)
Littlewoodg

Post by Littlewoodg »

I'd say wait on Synthmaster till they sort out their stuff...and sub in other synths. I'm sure you have other favorited and I can recommend a few dozen :D

Synthmaster has a few other issues, the developers continue to work their magic, I bet it will get sorted.
Another thought, get MTS for desk/lap top, (especially for touch if you have a machine like Surface) and Synthmaster VST (the Player equivalent for VST is also free or drastically reduced depending on the season.)
The closest synth to Synthmaster on iOS (besides the lamented Alchemy) would probably be Unity, which with the whole enchilada IAA includes an incredible range of presets (and drum loops etc), and unlike Synthmaster Player is an actual programmable synth. It's 50$ US but you can spend that much damn quick in Synthmasters store, and Unity will give you all that and more...
Support

Post by Support »

The latest version of MTS allows for recording 'practice mode' tracks, so you can record IAA generator apps to an audio track.

Giel Bremmers