Static Removal Effect?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
KenHardy

Static Removal Effect?

Post by KenHardy »

I am using MTS for iPad to stereo digitize some very old and valuable master cassette tapes of original recordings from the early 70's. On certain songs I keep getting some scratchy static being intermittently digitized during recording (16bit) of otherwise quite high quality music. I'm not sure if this is tape noise or interface digitizer noise, as I've had a similar problem with cheap Griffin StudioConnect Interfaces multiple times in the past. The quality of the recording is otherwise quite acceptable, and the recording levels are all in the green. Is their any effect (noise gate, de-esser, etc) which might help gate out high frequency scratchy distortion?
Thanks,
Ken Hardy
Support

Re: Static Removal Effect?

Post by Support »

It's probably skipping a small part of audio or something like that. You could try finding the exact spot where this happens in the track editor. Then select the right hand part and move it to the left, so the 'bad spot' disappears. If you're lucky you can get acceptable results.

Giel Bremmers
KenHardy

Re: Static Removal Effect?

Post by KenHardy »

Great idea! Turns out, however, that the problem as usual is that my THIRD Griffin StudioConnect iPad interface is starting to crap out (within nine months of purchase) exactly just like the previous two I received from Sweetwater. In the early stages of impending StudioConnect collapse, the static disappears during recording if the iPad is first hard-booted while actively connected to the Griffin interface. I did this and then redigitized the same song from the same old cassette, with perfect static-free 16bit reproduction in both that song and all others I digitized that same day. In the past, this trick works well for days to weeks before the static returns, becoming more and more frequent each time the interface is used. Constant, unresolvable static soon develops, converting StudioConnect interfaces into bulky paperweights and/or otherwise useless iPad charging stations. This is the reason I now use the Presonus AudioBox II as my main iPad interface. Except that it doesn't charge the iPad during use, it otherwise blows the Griffin away for high quality multitrack recording. Of course at the 24 bit sampling rate it does create very large .wav files for iPad storage.

Ken Hardy