Vocal stereo panning question.

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
KenHardy

Vocal stereo panning question.

Post by KenHardy »

I am trying to redo an old composition that was originally studio-recorded using multi-track analog tape technology. The lead vocal was in two part harmony and had a very unique sound derived from panning one dry lead vocal line hard to the left while that same lead vocal's effects output were hard panned to the right. Related, the top lead harmony line was dry panned hard to the right, while it wet output was panned hard to the left. There were also two falsetto backup singers who were mixed virtually the same way (except in opposite directions). The final stereo output of the four vocal lines sounds like eight unison harmony tracks widely separated, and it is downright ethereal. I am trying to recapitulate that same vocal mix using MTS for iPad, but don't know how to accomplish cross-track stereo panning of dry versus wet vocal audio. Could anyone guide me on this?

Ken Hardy
KenHardy

Re: Vocal stereo panning question.

Post by KenHardy »

No reply from anyone, but I think I've worked out the solution myself:

1. Record a solo lead vocal in mono to track 1.
2. Copy the entire audio from track 1 and paste it to a second track (2).
3. Leave track 1 without effects (dry) and pan the vocal completely to the left.
4. Send the vocal from track 2 into whatever effects are desired, at whatever level is desired, and pan the output of that (wet) track 2 completely to the right.
5. Record a mono high harmony to the lead vocal on track 3, leave it dry and pan it full right.
6. Copy track three to track four, add full effects and pan the wet high harmony output full left.

The two part harmony lead now has full stereo panned reverse effects, giving it a truly unique sound. Do the same thing for background vocalists, reversing wet and dry tracks each time. Four total vocal lines will require eight tracts to get the full stereo panned vocal effect.....but wait till you hear it. This works best with even numbered vocal tracks, each variably panned opposite one another, and is easy to do using MTS for IPAD, even without any dedicated stereo vocal panning processor. The human ear won't be able to tell exactly what's going on, but it won't forget the experience.

Ken Hardy (DrDrDaddeo)