Soundfont limitation

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
stubbsonic

Soundfont limitation

Post by stubbsonic »

I built a special soundfont with special custom clicks, 808, Chromaphone samples, and voice counts. My plan is to use them in MultiTrack Studio to create some advanced metronome functions.

The first snag I ran into is that Soundfonts appear to have a minimum attack time that is NOT zero, and some of my click sounds are VERY short . So some clicks won't play at all, and some just lose the very beginning of the sound. None of my batch audio editors will add silence to the fronts of samples (not ideal, but would at least make them work).

In the soundfont editors I have (polyphontics and polyphone) the lowest possible setting for delay and attack time is .001 sec. And this is NOT zero. There is a ramp of at last a few ms so the attack does get ramped.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?
stubbsonic

Re: Soundfont limitation

Post by stubbsonic »

I ended up using ThumbJam and apart from a little aliasing on the triangle samples it works well.
stubbsonic

Re: Soundfont limitation

Post by stubbsonic »

Though I think I could have made ThumbJam work, it turns out that using the built in Matrix Sampler is the way to go for this particular thing.

If/when I finish this, I can results here.

Basically, a set of metronome "songs" with different meters, groupings, metric modulation, and polyrhythms-- a la metronomics, but with human counting, jathis, gatis, and very precise click tones. Should be pretty cool. Though I won't have some of the quantize values I need, I think I can use my DAW or some other trickery to make it work properly.