Assign audio tracks to discrete Practice Mode Tracks?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Littlewoodg

Assign audio tracks to discrete Practice Mode Tracks?

Post by Littlewoodg »

Hi Mr Bremmers!
Is it a bad thing that your latest kickass update makes me think of new features?

What I'm asking for this time :D is way to assign distinct Practice mode midi tracks (from a set of up to 8 Practice mode midi tracks) to distinct audio tracks. What I'm hoping to do is simultaneously multi-track record a multi-audio-out clip launching application, (that's an IAA source). This would allow me to use a clip launch app as a "page" of MTS, to feed audio into MTS's timeline recording "page"

The clip launch app has up to 8 separate IAA audio out channels, and at present each of these outs can be selected for 8 separate MTS midi tracks, these midi tracks can be set up as Practice Mode tracks, and can run simultaneously, but MTS audio tracks don't listen to each of the 8 inputs discretely, and because MTS tracks can't "listen" to discrete Practice mode tracks, all 8 tracks are mixed down to a single audio track...

Another, probably bigger feature update, would be to create your own MTS midi and audio clip launcher page, to flow into MTS's midi and audio timeline editors. This would of course kick the ass of every other iOS DAW that's out there. :D

Here is a separate question: I gathered from reading the manual for the desktop version of MTS (which I own and love as a touch application on Surface Pro) that audio edits include micro fades to prevent pops...and I've noticed that my iPad MTS edits are also pop-free...is this accomplished with similar micro-fades as in your desktop software, or is it a snap-to zero crossing algorithm?
Support

Re: Assign audio tracks to discrete Practice Mode Tracks?

Post by Support »

Littlewoodg wrote:What I'm asking for this time :D is way to assign distinct Practice mode midi tracks (from a set of up to 8 Practice mode midi tracks) to distinct audio tracks. What I'm hoping to do is simultaneously multi-track record a multi-audio-out clip launching application, (that's an IAA source). This would allow me to use a clip launch app as a "page" of MTS, to feed audio into MTS's timeline recording "page"

The clip launch app has up to 8 separate IAA audio out channels, and at present each of these outs can be selected for 8 separate MTS midi tracks, these midi tracks can be set up as Practice Mode tracks, and can run simultaneously, but MTS audio tracks don't listen to each of the 8 inputs discretely, and because MTS tracks can't "listen" to discrete Practice mode tracks, all 8 tracks are mixed down to a single audio track...
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look into that to see what it would take to do that.
Littlewoodg wrote:Another, probably bigger feature update, would be to create your own MTS midi and audio clip launcher page, to flow into MTS's midi and audio timeline editors. This would of course kick the ass of every other iOS DAW that's out there. :D
Not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you mean something like the desktop version's 'clip shelf'? See the Audio/MIDI Clips paragraph at http://www.multitrackstudio.com/trackediting.php. The manual isn't up to date actually: you need to use the Studio menu's "Show Clip Shelf" option to make it visible.
Littlewoodg wrote:Here is a separate question: I gathered from reading the manual for the desktop version of MTS (which I own and love as a touch application on Surface Pro) that audio edits include micro fades to prevent pops...and I've noticed that my iPad MTS edits are also pop-free...is this accomplished with similar micro-fades as in your desktop software, or is it a snap-to zero crossing algorithm?
The iPad version uses exactly the same micro-fades.

Giel Bremmers
Littlewoodg

Re: Assign audio tracks to discrete Practice Mode Tracks?

Post by Littlewoodg »

Thanks for the reply Mr B.!
What I meant by adding a "clip launch" page or capability to MTS is a pretty big addition: adding something like what's called "Session" view in Ableton, which is very much like the GUI and functionality of the iOS app Modstep. Modstep hosts IAA and AU instruments and midi sequences them multitrack "clip launch" style, each clip, loop-able, and chainable with follow actions etc. in iOS this functionality exists only in Modstep, and to a limited extent GarageBand.

I'm using Modstep currently to compose/perform on the iPad, by launching midi clips then recording the performance inapp, in discrete audio stems, then importing those clips into MTS for further development and refinement.

My first update request was to help me skip a step, and use Modstep to record the multi track clip launch performance live, directly into MTS (an update to your practice mode track system that would allow me to assign and record several IAA audio "ins" into several discrete MTS audio tracks). I'd assign 8 MTS audio tracks to the the 8 IAA audio outs that Modstep can send, press record in MTS, then launch flips at will on Modsteps gui, recording the performance of these midi clips live into MTS (rather than recording in Modstep and sending the files one by one into MTS.)

The bigger update request was to have you create a Session view in MTS itself, in which separate IAA, AU or inapp instruments would be midi sequenceable in a clip launch gui alongside the timeline gui, clips of selectable bar lengths, that loop, and chain with follow actions, and could record or render into the audio and midi timeline editors that exist now. My 2 app (Modstep and MTS) 2 styles of production (clip launch and timeline) workflow would then happen in a single app (MTS)

Not much to ask, right :D