iPad Pro Pack - Multi MIDI Editor & Other Features

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
StormJH1

iPad Pro Pack - Multi MIDI Editor & Other Features

Post by StormJH1 »

I just purchased an iPad Pro 12.9", and it is a great device for DAW's like MultiTrackStudio. The improved processing power has renewed my interest in iOS music generally, and MTS is still my preferred tool for putting together multi-track compositions (albeit very unprofessionally :P )

Thought I would start a thread to discuss the features specific to the iPad Pro Pack, which has been available for some time, but I didn't see a thread for it. For some people, upgrading to 64 tracks may be a big thing, but I was more interested in the additional effects slots and especially the Multi MIDI Editor:

I'll have to look to see if there's a video tutorial somewhere on how people use this. Does anyone here have the Pro Pack and use multi MIDI? Why might you prefer to work in multi-MIDI versus viewing one track at a time?

I'm wondering how "note preview" works in a multi MIDI setup. So, here are the three different MIDI editing modes (copied from the manual):

Select Part (square): works just like an audio editor, ie. the mouse doesn't "see" the notes at all.
Select Notes (dashed square): clicking a note selects it, pressing the mouse in "empty space" and moving it lassoes notes. Selected notes can be moved.
Add Notes (+ symbol): clicking in "empty space" adds a note, clicking a note selects it. Moving the selected note(s) is possible as well.

You pick which instrument/track to edit data for using the colored check boxes along the bottom of the screen. But I feel like sometimes MTS was previewing notes for instruments other than what I was editing. In other words, if I was trying to edit a "string" part, sometimes a bass note would play, or vice versa.

Finally, is there any "note preview" feature for the "Add Notes" (+) setting? Or do you have to either touch the piano roll or attempt to move notes (using "Select Notes") to hear the pitch of the notes you are editing.

Thanks!
Support

Re: iPad Pro Pack - Multi MIDI Editor & Other Features

Post by Support »

StormJH1 wrote:You pick which instrument/track to edit data for using the colored check boxes along the bottom of the screen.
Not quite. These boxes are about newly added notes. If it's 'bass' a new note will be 'bass'. But if you move an existing piano note it will still be a piano note.

Giel Bremmers
djjuniorpops

Re: iPad Pro Pack - Multi MIDI Editor & Other Features

Post by djjuniorpops »

I would of really like to see a more DAW like editor/ timeline where you are able to see all midi and audio tracks and edit as you like.