Track Merge Function

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Drdrdaddeo

Track Merge Function

Post by Drdrdaddeo »

I love, love MTS for ipad, but I can't live without a track merge function. Especially with the exellent MTS with pro-extension, large numbers of unmerged track numbers can build up very quickly. This is especially important for technically limited players likebmyself who must use multiple tracks to record separate parts of the same instrument in order to match their technical skills to their creative skills. A single complex keyboard passage or vocal harmony sometimes requires 5-6 different tracks for me to get all the the parts nailed. The 9" screen of my ipad pro soon overflows with unmerged tracks making navigation and subsequent multitrack recording very cumbersome. Currently to my knowledge NO track merge function exists in MTS for iPad, yet it does in virtually all other DAW's...an inexcuseable deficiency in a $120 iOS pro recording App. Please update me if I'm wrong, but to merge tracts in MTS for ipad, one has to specifically enable only the tracks to be merged, then export the entire song to Pasteboard as a .wav file, then reimport the merged .wav file into the old song as a new track (which must be renamed). Then all the old Unmerged tracks must be removed one by one. And there is no medhanism at all to highlight a passage within one track and merge it with specific areas of a different track. I hate GARAGEBAND with a passion, but I still have to use it to easily merge tracks, create drum loops at any tempo, change tempo on certain live .wav drumloops (Drum Loops HD), and upload songs to facebook.....and its free! I find myself copying from GARAGEBAND (a kindergarten recording app) to MTS FOR IPAD (a Pro-level App). What am I missing here?
Drdrdaddeo
André Giroux

Re: Track Merge Function

Post by André Giroux »

Hi,
wouldn't punch in the same track work rather than recording on another?
Drdrdaddeo

Re: Track Merge Function

Post by Drdrdaddeo »

Yeah, punch-in works great for inserting passages into a track when recording live (and can even be used to merge live using sound-on-sound). But for post-production work where intense editing of notes is needed prior to merging specific passages and/or whole tracts, it seems a dedicated merge function would be invaluable (and is included in virtually every other DAW). Its not undoable in MTS using mix export, general pasteboard and track import as described above, but its overly cumbersome and somewhat limiting. Perhaps its just something I don't yet understand or am doing incorrectly. Hopefully Giel will comment and set me straight.