Feature Request: Pattern Player Palette

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
stubbsonic

Feature Request: Pattern Player Palette

Post by stubbsonic »

I don't know how this would fit into the UI and flow, but I can imagine assigning short MIDI phrases to a panel of buttons. The buttons themselves could be triggerable via external MIDI.

A bit of background. My Kurzweil K2xxx series workstations had a powerful built in sequencer with an ARRANGE mode. With this, you could assemble sequences to play in a song (like the usual pattern/song structure), but they added the ability to trigger individual sequence (patterns) with keys on the keyboard- AND you could scale their volume with velocity, set them to loop, latch, or normal. I used it all the time.

With MTS, I was thinking that a person could either import a SMF or take MIDI from the copy/paste clipboard and assign it to a button. Each track could have a button panel for that MIDI channel and/or VI with different little MIDI patterns (one-shot or loop) that play when that button is pressed. There could be global ones that play all 16 channels (per the track assignments).

If it seems like this is too much to cram into MTS, perhaps this could be worked out as a separate product. There would be a global tempo & time signature, but each pattern could either use the global setting or over-ride as it is set up- with a global setting, then some patterns could over-lap if engineered correctly. Though Genome offers some of the functionality, it is limited to 16 patterns, and there are more limits on meter & tuplets (if I understand correctly). With a MTS-type app, there could be more flexibility.
Support

Re: Feature Request: Pattern Player Palette

Post by Support »

Interesting idea, I'll add it to the list of things to consider.

Giel Bremmers