iPad composing

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
André Giroux

iPad composing

Post by André Giroux »

Well I bit the bullet and got the iPad version with the pro extension. Let see what kind of mess I can create now!!!! :D
Probably will come back shortly with some newbie questions!!!! :mrgreen:
stubbsonic

Re: iPad composing

Post by stubbsonic »

How are you finding MTS for composition?

I'd be curious to know more about your workflow. Do you write first, play-in, edit? Or improvise then edit? Some other process?

I've got a wonderful DAW on my laptop and haven't really "taken to" using touch-screens, generally. But I give big props to MTS for giving composers more flexibility in all respects of the creative process.
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Do you write first, play-in, edit? Or improvise then edit? Some other process?
I use a combination of these sometimes writing first to the score editor,(rarely piano editor except changing the duration of chord notes I can't seem to do in the score editor why I don't know why.)
Sometimes I use live record or practice mode using the built in keyboard or sometimes using my (AKAI LPK25) controller.Then clean that up in the score editor.
I use both the desktop and the iOS versions, iOS usually in bed.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I sometimes use a "layer & repair" process that starts with a written progression, scratch (reference) tracks, then improvise several layers of counterpoint, then just edit, edit edit, until it sounds nice. It's more of a sculpting process which I enjoy. It lets my ears & tastes continue to operate as I refine.