The new way to place notes.

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Parry

Re: The new way to place notes.

Post by Parry »

I hope I've expressed my thoughts in the right way, cause my english isn't that good.

I strongly prefer a DAW that allows for a linear workflow. I think we have more than enough pattern-oriented music-production-tools on iOS but just a few with a real timeline in the tradition of many desktop DAW's.

I think MTS is clearly one of them and this is doubtlessly a good thing. But the way parts are implemented for example in Cubase, they allow for both - a loop oriented workflow, or just playing a whole track in at once with a guitar or whatever instrument one uses.

Sadly I'm not able to play my guitar straight into a track for several minutes without timing issues or other mistakes - mainly timing problems.

So I've gotten used to a more loop-oriented workflow but despite of this I want to have the freedom, which a traditional, timeline-oriented DAW offers.

I'm struggling to find a DAW on iOS, that gives me what I'm wishing for. Currently I'm mostly returning to Cubasis after trying other DAW's for some time, but am missing the strong editing-tools MTS offers, like "select right" or how the handles for events are implemented and many other nice options.

Sometimes I express my ideas in a user-forum in the hope to have a slight influence onto the direction a DAW evolves to - only one time I've succeeded in this attempt - but I think it is the only way a customer can make at least some of he's wishes come true, apart from that other people are doing it or just by chance.

edit: I think iOS attracted many people which are not "real" musicians and never would care for making music with the tools available 20 or 30 years ago, cause they aren't talented enough to record a song with a 4-track cassette recorder, or an oldschcool-like harddisk-recorder. But now - with all the great cheap apps, many people like me, are trying to express their feelings with music cause there are so many great, cheap synths and music-creation tools and they just love music.

That may be a curse in some way because of all the boring creations, not so talented persons like me can upload into soundcloud without really knowing what they do - at least in the begining.

Loop-recording makes it possible to create very static tracks in no time by simply repeating the first beat endlessly, and putting some filter-variation on top of that.

But some people are getting deeper into music-creation by this - putting more and more effort in refining each loop, introducing bridges and other stuff which are making their creations more musical and less robotic. IOS music-apps opened up a door, which was sealed for people like me and many others before and I hope, that in the future, I'm able to express my feelings with sequenced tracks in a better, somewhat more educated way - just by using the sequencer more and more, but of course also by learning and playing around more often with my guitar.

Perhaps MTS could get a much broader user-base by including such "loopers", like me somewhat better as it already does.:)

Kind regards!
stubbsonic wrote:Some of us (for example, coming from DP) prefer this linear-composition workflow, and don't need to think of musical phrases or loops as blocks-- at least not as the main way of working.

I do see the value of working with modular blocks of music-- and it can be tricky to bridge those two ways of working. I had posted a suggestion in another thread about a MIDI phrase palette (similar idea to a sample pad palette) where you could put short MIDI recordings on a multi-pad array, then trigger each pad from a sequencer track. There could be ways that the tempo is controlled either by sequence, or scaled, or keeping its own original tempo. The GUI could display each pads on/off duration as a block that can be dragged around.