Program change number

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio for iPad
Donny

Program change number

Post by Donny »

Hello to all,

i often work with midi files.
Where can i see the program change number for the instrument of a gm midi file ?

Many greetings,

Roland
uncle808us

Re: Program change number

Post by uncle808us »

Donny wrote:Hello to all,

i often work with midi files.
Where can i see the program change number for the instrument of a gm midi file ?

Many greetings,

Roland
I am curious about this as well. How would you switch from the clean electric guitar to the muted guitar during a midi track?
Example: 4 measures of Clean Electric guitar then 2 measures of muted electric guitar then back to 2 measures of clean electric.
Can this be done in one midi track?
Thank you.
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

I think this answers my question:
carnbot wrote:
Is there a way to automate program change messages to an IAA/virtual synth and external instruments on the ipad version?

No. Neither can the desktop version by the way.
You'll have to use separate tracks for each sound. This isn't possible with IAA because there can only be one instance of an app, so you'd have to use virtual MIDI instead.

You can have multiple tracks using an external instrument, all using the same MIDI channel. MTS will take care of sending all controllers when another track starts sending notes.
Giel Bremmers
Drdrdaddeo

Post by Drdrdaddeo »

This is a fairly serious limitation to using MTS for Midi Recording. Even my twenty year old Yamaha Qx5 sequencer allows program changes to be recorded on each track and sent out to various external MIDI devices for instantaneous sound changes during playback. Virtually every MIDI device and App on the market responds to such program changes, and thus the ability of MTS to input program changes throughout individual tracks seems vital to me. I was under the impression that program changes COULD be input into tracks using the CONTR feature available on each MIDI track. If not, I would strongly suggest to Giel that some means of effecting this should definitely be built into future version of MTS for iPad.

Drdrdaddeo
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Drdrdaddeo wrote:This is a fairly serious limitation to using MTS for Midi Recording. Even my twenty year old Yamaha Qx5 sequencer allows program changes to be recorded on each track and sent out to various external MIDI devices for instantaneous sound changes during playback. Virtually every MIDI device and App on the market responds to such program changes, and thus the ability of MTS to input program changes throughout individual tracks seems vital to me. I was under the impression that program changes COULD be input into tracks using the CONTR feature available on each MIDI track. If not, I would strongly suggest to Giel that some means of effecting this should definitely be built into future version of MTS for iPad.

Drdrdaddeo
For the Desktop version as well!
Support

Post by Support »

uncle808us wrote:How would you switch from the clean electric guitar to the muted guitar during a midi track?
Example: 4 measures of Clean Electric guitar then 2 measures of muted electric guitar then back to 2 measures of clean electric.
The 'articulations' feature introduced in the latest version does exactly that. On iPad it's available for External MIDI Instruments and AU plugins.

This pages talks about it (it's about the desktop version, there's no Multi Instrument on iPad): https://www.multitrackstudio.com/versio ... iculations

Giel Bremmers
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Support wrote:
uncle808us wrote:How would you switch from the clean electric guitar to the muted guitar during a midi track?
The 'articulations' feature introduced in the latest version does exactly that. On iPad it's available for External MIDI Instruments and AU plugins.

This pages talks about it (it's about the desktop version, there's no Multi Instrument on iPad): https://www.multitrackstudio.com/versio ... iculations

Giel Bremmers
OK I understand that this is only available with external instruments, too bad. I was hoping to be able to do this with MTS instruments no problem. And Thank you. By the way the Multi midi editor is great. Thanks again.
Colrik

Post by Colrik »

Hello,

The Articulations function is indeed a great idea, which works with some synths (like BS16 with sf2 files) but not with others... It would be an even greater idea to make it compatible with the internal soundfonts player.
Cheers.
Donny

Post by Donny »

Hello to all,

thank you for the answers.

I don't want to change everything.

I would like only to see the program change number, the instrument.
So i can use the instrument from my library.
After all the midi file sounds with the instruments which are programed for.

Roland