Editor sizing behavior

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
arthurcrd

Editor sizing behavior

Post by arthurcrd »

Is it currently possible to have the editors behave in a similar way to what they do on the iPad version (Minus the 12.9 inch, I suppose), where the size will always default to max when there aren’t other editors already open?

Most of my workflow consists in writing the notes with a pen and I find that the ideal layout for that is having the editor occupying the whole screen, but the current sizing behavior ends up being too inefficient for that, since requires dragging the editor window down to the end of the screen, scrolling so the current mixer section is on the top, and then dragging down again so it’s finally full screen. Besides that, adjusts have to the positioning need to be made every time the controller editor or the on screen keyboard are opened, since the editors won’t snap like they do on the iPad. And, as the tracks sizes aren’t stored unless they are open, this has to be done every session for every track. So, even thought it’s a minor inconvenience in an otherwise very streamlined workflow, in the end it adds up and eats up a lot of time on larger projects.

I haven’t found anything on the manual, but I decided to ask, as maybe there could be a hidden setting on a config file or at least another workaround that I’m unaware of.

Thanks!

Arthur Cordeiro
Support

Re: Editor sizing behavior

Post by Support »

arthurcrd wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:07 am Is it currently possible to have the editors behave in a similar way to what they do on the iPad version (Minus the 12.9 inch, I suppose), where the size will always default to max when there aren’t other editors already open?
No, that was designed for the iPad specifically.

Have you considered using the Multi MIDI Editor? That's what people tend to use for score, as you can see multiple systems in a single view.

See https://multitrackstudio.com/multimidieditor.php

Giel Bremmers
arthurcrd

Post by arthurcrd »

Hi Giel! Thank you so much for the answer and for the suggestion as well.

The Multi MIDI Editor, is indeed the best for having a global view of the composition and it’s what I use for structuring and sketching the initial ideias and, later on, for checking counterpoint and Ruth mix interactions between parts, throughout the project.

But, by far, the largest bulk of the time I spend working in MTS (which is probably also where I spend most of my time in general) is writing, programming and refining the individual parts. This process usually requires a fluid combination of writing down the actual notes, editing precise timing, velocity and controller data and tweaking parameters of the virtual instrument itself and its effect plugins. This way, I can treat the process of melodic writing as more than ‘just notes’ and quickly judge wether it makes sense it in the larger context of the piece I’m writing, and works for the tone and aesthetics I’m going for.

For that, having the piano roll view plus the controller editor on the fullscreen provides just the perfect layout. I can see the melodic contour in a symmetric disposition, edit very precise timings and embellishments without making notation illegible, have quick access to controller data and to the plugin editor, and I can quickly hop to the Multi MIDI Editor to check the larger context whenever I need. Basically, I see everything I need and nothing else.

Do you think It would be possible to incorporate such view as an option (probably under ‘custom’) in the PC version? If it isn’t, at least for now, I’d then ask you to consider implementing some kind of work around such as a shortcut for making the currently selected editor fullscreen, or letting the user define via text what is the default editor size. Either of those would be sufficient and make my workflow much more efficient.

Anyway, thank you so much. MTS is an excellent piece of software and has a design that makes sense, which I don’t think is something I can say about many other computer tools, especially on the music making department.

Cheers!

Arthur Cordeiro
Support

Post by Support »

arthurcrd wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:29 pm Do you think It would be possible to incorporate such view as an option (probably under ‘custom’) in the PC version? If it isn’t, at least for now, I’d then ask you to consider implementing some kind of work around such as a shortcut for making the currently selected editor fullscreen, or letting the user define via text what is the default editor size. Either of those would be sufficient and make my workflow much more efficient.
Will consider this. Thanks!

Giel Bremmers
arthurcrd

Post by arthurcrd »

Thank you so much!