Archive question

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
ravenmusic

Archive question

Post by ravenmusic »

I wish to archive files and burn them to CD or DVD, to free up some disc space and reduce the piles of files in MTS.

I?ve just had a look on the forum threads relating to archiving and the issue has been explained very well, but I have a question.

Is there a preferred format for saving complete files. Am I right in thinking that saving files as data files saves everything within a file. Can data files burned to DVD be opened or imported back into MTS without loosing the settings or recorded material.

I?ve looked at some of those backup software programmes but they never seem user friendly when it comes to saving just a few files.

Just want to be sure on this, don?t want to loose any files. Thanks
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

I don't know much about DVD's but I know a little bit about CD's.

Save your files onto a Joliet CD-ROM and you will be able to use the files later. If the program has the option, allow longer file names to be saved. Using longer file names might make the disk unreadable in DOS, but it will assure that the file names are preserved in Windows.

Burn the disc at 4x speed and not higher. Errors can occur with higher speed disc burning. It's possible that slightly higher speeds could work, but I have found that 4x speed guarantees no errors due to speed burning.

As long as the burn speed was 4x, the CD-ROM isn't scratched, you used Joliet format, and long names, your files should be ok. The only inconvenience is that after you copy files from CD-ROM to hard drive, you have to unset their read-only property.

A really simple program to use is Cool CD Burner. A more complex and versatile program is Nero.
Mac

Post by Mac »

DVD data disk can do the same job.

Just remember that when you go to re-import a project from CD or DVD data disk to the hard drive, you must first highlight all files, rightclick and select Properties and change them from "Read Only" to "Archive" before attempting to open them in MTS and work with them again.

--Mac
ravenmusic

Post by ravenmusic »

I experimented with saving to a DVD data disc and importing back into MTS this morning, it worked fine. The CD option will be good for small files.

A while back using a different programme I lost several files through not saving to disc correctly, just wanted to make sure this nightmare didn?t happen again.

Thanks