How do you get rid of finger noise?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
sinbad

How do you get rid of finger noise?

Post by sinbad »

How do you get rid of finger noise? Apart from learning how to play better that is. Is there a standard squeak frequency? How can I determine what frequencies to cut?
Pale Blue, a fine example of what sounds like a duet with a budgie or a canary in places. The mp3 conversion seems to have elliminated some of it, but that isn't the solution.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6359096
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

Hi sinbad,
I find finger squeaks are usually in the 10k and higher in the eq. Try bringing those down 1 at a time. YOu can also use a band effect then apply eq and clean compression to kill that sqeaky frequency, that works fine for me.
Hope this helps you.
Andre
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I bit of finger noise just proves it is a real guitar!
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Reminds me of that song, Every Breath You Take by The Police
tons of fingernoise in that song, but its' so rhythmic that it works with the song.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Yep there is a difference between just sloppy playing, and basic finger noise that adds realism to a song.
mixont70706

Post by mixont70706 »

Sinbad,

Here is some insight to some of the things I have ran into.

Look at the wave and find the loud sting noise, then run that section through a spectrum analyzer and get the loudest frequency usually 2034Hz to 2078Hz. Then you have a place to start with notch filer or set the EQ in MTS to notch the frequency. Don't go crazy with the notch a little string noise is tasteful and shows that it is real. Just knock off the shrill.

You didn't say if the guitar was going through a multieffect processor. If one was used it may be the EQ setting on the peddle that has that range boosted. I have had that problem myself. Also since the recording was of an acoustic guitar if it has a EQ\Exciter (as most do) it may be a simple adjustment at that point.

If you are still getting a lot of string noise you may want to EQ it out before recording the track, if you are using a mixing console before the sound card, roll off the unwanted string noise there. I have even ran the raw guitar signal through a 31 band eq before going to the soundcard just to get it out before recording.

Hope this helps
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

thanks for the input guys. I posted this over at audiominds and got some interesting tips :)
mixont70706

Post by mixont70706 »

Could you post the URL, I am interested in what they had to say.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

OOOOhhhh you said finger Noiise! I thought you said finger nose!

Just pull it out and it will stop