Transferring CD tracks - newbie

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
shinerxl

Transferring CD tracks - newbie

Post by shinerxl »

HI, I am new to this forum and it must be said there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here. Sorry if this is an old question but I hope someone can help anyway.
A friend of mine is making an album and he wants me to play some stuff on it. I have a cd of the tracks he wants played on and I want to put them onto MTStudio so I can lay stuff on and run it by him/practice etc. So, (finally getting to the point!) How do I put a cd track onto a track on MTStudio? Assume nothing, I am totaly new to this piece of software but I like it already. Thanks in advance for your time folks.
Best wishes, Mark - Orkney islands, Scotland.
Mac

Post by Mac »

CD Audio must first be converted to .wav format.

Use of any one of a number of "CD Ripper" softwares can accomplish this, websearch (google or the like) there are plenty available, freebies, etc.

And the Windows Media Player can do this also

Once you have .wav files of each track, just use the Open command on the track in MTS to bring it in.

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

If you use Windows Media Player to extract the CD audio, make sure that you set it's output settings to .WAV and not to .WMA or .MP3.

.WAV is higher quality than the others.

Although it is really complicated to set up, I use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) for extracting CD audio tracks to .WAV files. It's designed so that if the CD disc is scratched or damaged, it can still usually read it with fewer audible errors.
It's a free program.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
shinerxl

Post by shinerxl »

:D
Thanks very much for the advice and info. I have Windows Media Player so I will try that first but will keep the other link for when I am more confident. Thanks for taking the time!
Cheers, Mark. Orkney.