dragging tracks

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
richardsmith

dragging tracks

Post by richardsmith »

Hi all,

SOrry if this is a stupid question. Can anyone tell me how to drag an audio track horizontally, to change its alignment with other tracks? For instance, I want to take snare track and move it forward by a few milliseconds. I think its crtl-click-drag in Cubase.....

Cheers,
Richard
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Hi,
just mark the track you want to move in EDIT with SEL ALL. Select the marked area with your left mouse switch and while still holding down your left mouse switch, pull to the right or the left until it is where you want it.
That's how I do it anyway.
Mac

Post by Mac »

This is also a VERY powerful feature of MTS.

You know those songs that start with a sticktap, like, 1,2,1,2,3,4 countoff, necessary if you want to dub in more tracks from the very beginning and be ready to play or sing?

Most other softwares will require you to do a destructive edit of the countin bars before exporting your song to stereo mixdown.

In MTS, just highlight each track by selecting ALL in the edit window, then grab 'em and slide them backwards (to the left) on the timeline until bar 3 is at the very beginning. The countin will still be there, but nothing that is in front of the first bar of the visible window will sound when you hit Play or mixdown.

If you ever have to go back and dub in more tracks, you can slide 'em back to where they were -- and there's your countin bars again!

This sliding method is also very handy for making separated mixdown tracks of an on location recording where you might have an hour or more of music recorded in one songfile, too. Just keep sliding backwards from song to song as you go, be sure to find the end of each song and type that into the mixdown window as where to stop and you are done. Original complete file remains intact.

Enjoy,

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

You can also highlight just that part to move and slide it without moving the rest of the track.
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Another way is to turn off snap to grid, turn on insert, and select the first few milliseconds of the track you want to make come in earlier. Press delete. Use undo if it isn't correct. You'll probably want to turn off insert after that for future edits during the session.