Sample Rate Conversion 96kHz --> 44.1kHz Artifacts

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
NystagmusE

Sample Rate Conversion 96kHz --> 44.1kHz Artifacts

Post by NystagmusE »

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

This is highly technical kind of comparison test and I don't pretend to understand it completely, but it is interesting. The webpage offers a technical comparison of the effects of different types of Sample Rate Conversion algorithms on control test signals.

Of interest are the Weiss Saracon 1.0 and the iZotope RX Advanced 1.05 (High Steepness) sample rate conversion algorithms.

I wish I could hear what those sound like.

Also, it looks like GoldWave or Wavosaur are not good choices for sample rate conversion.

Giel, what is your opinion on all of this?
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

It looks like the R8brain freebie from Voxengo is among the best :D
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Yeah that is ironic about the r8brain. :)
evon

Post by evon »

What about Sound Forge's Converter?
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

From what I could tell from one of the charts, SoundForge has a lot of aliasing noise during the frequency sweep. It's not a good thing. It's essentially tonal noises added to the original sound content...frequencies that aren't supposed to be there.
evon

Post by evon »

But what about the antialiasing features?
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Even the anti-aliasing converter for SoundForge 9.0 Anti-Aliasing seems to have quite a bit of aliasing according to the chart on that test website.

It does have less aliasing than the SoundForge 9.0 Non-Anti-Aliasing converter, but not less than a converter such as the Weiss Saracon 1.0

http://src.infinitewave.ca/help.html <-- this explains a little bit
evon

Post by evon »

Thanks for the link, this explains a little more indepth than the original link at the top of the post. I am not able to read all of it now as I am currently at work.