Looping playback

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
michi_mak

Looping playback

Post by michi_mak »

Still no news on this issue ? ( it really keeps me from buying mts )
tmon

Post by tmon »

I have been told that it is being worked on and may be in the next release.
In fact, more than just looping playback, but loop recording/overdubbing.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I would love looping, but you can set a start point and replay it, plus if i have to loop, i do it in Acid Pro which excells at that anyway. I look at it this way, some softwares try to do everything and sometimes struggle to do them all well, example Sonar, a overall great title, but it has issues, maybe there is too much built in. What ever Geil decides to add, i hope it is always baby steps, not to much growth at one time. Because what he has right now is the most solid and productive software i own.
tmon

Post by tmon »

I agree about not adding so many features that the thing gets bloated and unstable, as that is a strength of MTS, but I used to use Cubase on a 1040Ste Atari back in the day, and the MIDI loop record function at that time (now called "Lanes" in some apps) was indispensable for a non-keyboardist such as myself trying to record MIDI, and if Geil could pull it off, I would be using MTS more than I do so now.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Now, adding LANES to MTS would be a GOOD THING!

Lanes are a comping man's wet dream.

"comping" -- for those who may not know, is the art and science of recording multiple takes of a singer or maybe an instrumentalist performing the song from front to back, and then sending them away while you, the mix engineer, audition every track listening for the sweetest performance parts on each and then proceed to slice and dice the multiple takes into one track that is all good performance.

"Compilation" technique, thus "comping" became its nick.

Having LANES capability makes the above a breeze to do.

--Mac
tmon

Post by tmon »

Being able to record takes repeatedly, as is implied, automatically over a pre-specified section would be the ultimate goal. I.e. to not have to stop and re-cue, then restart to record successive, subsequent takes. This was the beauty of what I used to do back on my 1040Ste. The music would never stop.

With a selection of, if I recall correctly, either the "C," "B" or "V" keys, while the selected bars were loop recording, I could record a new take overwriting a previous take, or overdub (add to a previous take), or delete the last take on the fly. However, I suppose the notion of recording several takes, then "compiling" the best of each together would be fine also. I just think that being able record successive takes over a particular section of the song without stopping is the most musical. To me, it's all about keeping the "flow" going.
Mac

Post by Mac »

LANES can usually be set to work like a punchin if that is what you desire.

You just get successive multiple tracks of the punchin area and then you can draw in the volume envelopes to only hear the one you want at that point in time.

Which means that you get the exact same set of circumstances as a punchin yields if you understand what's happening with LANES.

--Mac
tmon

Post by tmon »

"Loopin punchin."

Now, that sounds good to me.
Support

Post by Support »

There'll be "Cycle Recording" in the 4.3 release, which is planned for next month. It's more or less identical to recording "alternate takes", ie. the recorded files will appear on the track's File Options Menu (the small button below the file name box).

It also works for punch-in recording. In this case you can pick the best take using the track editor's Undo and Redo buttons.

I've inserted a paragraph from the 4.3 manual below.

Giel Bremmers

Cycle Transport
After right-clicking the Start button you can select "Start cycling", which will make the Transport cycle through a region until you stop the Transport. The cycle region starts at the current Transport position. The end of the region can be picked from a list that appears right after you click "Start cycling". This list contains the Markers and the end of the song (ie. the length of the longest track). If you're doing a punch-in recording the point two seconds after the end of the punch region appears in the list as well.
The cycle region is indicated on the Overview Bar while cycling.

Note: in cycle mode the Transport is actually stopped and started again when a new cycle starts, so there's a gap in the sound.
tmon

Post by tmon »

Fantastic!

Thanks for your hard work!
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

That type of a feature is great for punchin recording, but will you ever consider a true looping tool, where you set the markers and it loops over and over seamlessly, allowing you to adjust the markers until it sound like a chord played over and over then one could save or copy the looped region to a new trac, making a loop.

I know this is very acid like, but would be a unbelievable tool to make tracks where you are not proficient at a certain instrument and you can make several measures of a certain chord, then cut out a loop of the best ones.

Just a thought, as i do have Acid Pro that does this now.
tmon

Post by tmon »

Robo,

Can you help me understand how Giel's current efforts for the next release do not address what you are desiring?

My understanding that the new feature does allow for "multiple takes" over the same user-settable region.

Do you mean where you manipulate the looping playback region on the fly while recording/overdubbing that playback data?
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

The new upgrade should do just fine for overdubbing or for practicing a lead or something like that. I was more talking about the ability to build custom loops. In Acid Pro you can slide the looped markers to anypoint you want and fine tune them until it loops that section flawlessly.

Say you want a accoutic guitar track, that will need a strum pattern of the C, G, amd D chords. Rather than play it all the way thru and flub up two or three times you open a track, and strum the same chord for about 30 seconds, then set markers to make it loop over and over so one measure plays in time for ever, with Acid Pro you can set those markers and when it is just right there is a feature called render, which sends recorded media to a new trac, you have the option to just send the looped region.

This will then create a perfect measure of the chord to paste together as many times as you want, repeat with the other two chords and you can chain a full song in a few minutes mistake free.

I will say if MTS never does this i won't complain, cause i have Acid Pro 3.0, so I can builds looped tracks and export them as wave files and import into MTS, but it would be cool to do it all in one program.
Support

Post by Support »

Robomusic wrote:will you ever consider a true looping tool, where you set the markers and it loops over and over seamlessly, allowing you to adjust the markers until it sound like a chord played over and over then one could save or copy the looped region to a new trac, making a loop.
Sorry for being slow, must have overlooked this one :shock:

That would certainly be nice. It's on the list of "things that would be nice but aren't easy to fit in". That doesn't sound too promising, but a couple of things from this list have actually been done eventually (multiple CPU support, improved punch in/out, cycle recording), so who knows.......

Giel Bremmers
Geert

Post by Geert »

I discovered MultitrackStudio a few days ago. I played around with the Light Edition and the software looks very promising. However I don't understeand how it's possible it doesn't have a decent loop play (cycling) feauture. Every DAW I know allows for easy selecting of a region on a timelime (by draging, not by adding markers) and starting a play loop (not by rightclicking and go?ng through a process of selecting markers but by pressing the space bar or a cycle-button). The way cycling is implemented now is just way to complex and slow. For me this is a blocking issue.

Just my 2 cent.

Regards,

Geert