transfering old 4 & 8 track tapes

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
noisyplanet

transfering old 4 & 8 track tapes

Post by noisyplanet »

I'm currently trying to transfer old 4 & 8 track cassette tapes to mts track by track for re-editing and re-recording of some parts etc.
The problem i'm having is that once all the individual parts are recorded onto mts i have to spend hours dragging dropping cutting and pasting to synch the music into time (probably due to tape wow and flutter).
Anyone know an easier way to do this? Ideally recording all 8 or 4 tracks at once but onto individual mts tracks?
I'm currently using a creative live drive (with front interface) soundcard.
Can this be resolved, i have hundreds of old songs i want to bring back to life. Helppppp
:D
cidbil

Post by cidbil »

Hi, I'm not sure if it's possible unless you have a multi-input sound card.
I've got a delta 1010lt. I've been able take old songs from my tascam 488 and get them into mts that way :D

Bill
Mac

Post by Mac »

Multiple-Input soundcard plus Multiple-Output tapedeck is one way to at least get the parts to line up in one pass.

Problem with tape cassettes is that they do not spin at the same speed when at the beginning because of the amount of tape on the reels changes the torque as the tape travels through. This means that cassettes are really only close to the published tape speed somewhere in the middle of travel.

That can also be a problem if you are attempting to add more instruments to the tracks because the notes will be flat at the beginning, sort of dead on somewhere near the middle of the tape, and because the takeup reel gets larger than the feedreel towards the end of tape travel, the notes will get sharper in pitch.

So multiple inputs at least capture all tracks at the same varying speeds at once.

--Mac
noisyplanet

Post by noisyplanet »

i think i'll invest in the delta 1010lt, looks like the right solution, (around ?130 in the uk).
i'm assuming you create all 8 tracks in mts before recording? and how does the card assign each channel to the corresponding mts channels?
Sorry for asking but i need to be sure before spending money on more equipment :oops:
noisyplanet

Post by noisyplanet »

just to add, my 8 track stuff is on tascam 488 which only has 4 'group outs' whereas the 424 has individual outs for all 4 channels.
cidbil

Post by cidbil »

just to add, my 8 track stuff is on tascam 488 which only has 4 'group outs' whereas the 424 has individual outs for all 4 channels
Here's a link that shows how to get all 8 tracks from the 488 into MTS
http://homerecording.com/tas488tips.html

Keep in mind that the inputs on the delta card are 2 xlr and 6 rca, so you'll probably have to get some adapters.
i'm assuming you create all 8 tracks in mts before recording?
Yep. Just set up MTS with 8 tracks with wav's and arm 'em to record.
and how does the card assign each channel to the corresponding mts channels?
Once you get your card installed and set up, fire up MTS, go to Recording > Audio Input Control, and you'll see all your inputs. They default 1-8, you can move them around if you like too.

Bill
noisyplanet

Post by noisyplanet »

Thanks Bill, i'll post an update when i get my delta, what a star! :lol:
noisyplanet

Post by noisyplanet »

Update........bought myself an old (2002?) rackmount edirol da-2496 from ebay ?70!, just the job.
Only problem now is getting 8 individual outputs from my tascam 488 (thanks for the link re this, but it refers to the 488mkII, i have the older version) Busy shifting the 4 track stuff as we speak, or type.
Thanks again for all the help re this subject.
cidbil

Post by cidbil »

I have the 488 also. I just used the link as a guide. It will work though. You might have to experiment a little.
Bill
noisyplanet

Post by noisyplanet »

i'll give it a whirl, in all honesty i can afford to lose some tracks as its just me warbling badly :lol: