What is it like installing and using SoundFonts in MTS?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
NystagmusE

What is it like installing and using SoundFonts in MTS?

Post by NystagmusE »

I just ordered a sample CD in the postal mail and it has some audio stored as drum kit soundfonts. There are 30 drum kits that all together store 500 sounds. This adds up to about 17 sounds per drum kit. Incidentally, the same sounds are available as plain old .WAV files just in folders. I have never used soundfonts before.

Questions:
1) What is it like installing and using soundfonts in MultitrackStudio?
2) What issues can I expect to be dealing with?
3) What are the advantages and disadvantages of using soundfonts in MTS?
Mac

Re: What is it like installing and using SoundFonts in MTS?

Post by Mac »

MrHope wrote: 1) What is it like installing and using soundfonts in MultitrackStudio?
A breeze if you use the MTS samplet and conversion that MTS supplies.

Don't use an external VSTi soundfont player for this in MTS, the MTS sampler blows it away IMO.
2) What issues can I expect to be dealing with?
None that I know of, except for a small learning curve about the controls in the MTS sampler. You can leave them at default to get started, which is a good idea.

Read the MTS manual .pdf, search for the sampler and all should be as easy as anything else is to do in MTS.
3) What are the advantages and disadvantages of using soundfonts in MTS?
Lots of available sounds, lots of 'em free for the download on the web, many GM soundfont banks for use in playing back standard midi files.

The MTS sampler is simply a gas. I can convert not only Soundfonts, but gigasamples and a few other formats and mix and match 'em in the one applet, how cool and easy is that? Well, you wouldn't know if you never had to fool around with a Soundfont player at the same time as gigastudio at the same time as a hardware sampler, but take my word for it, the MTS sampler ROCKS.

It will need disk space to store the converted fonts the first time, not a biggie.

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Well, I installed the SoundFonts today. It worked like a charm. Thanks.
Mac

Post by Mac »

MrHope wrote:Well, I installed the SoundFonts today. It worked like a charm. Thanks.
Isn't MTS amazing?

8)

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

:D yep! :wink:
tmon

Post by tmon »

The sampler is one of the main reasons why I use MTS. It's fantastic how easy to use it is.

This program just doesn't get enough props in the desktop/digital audio world.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

No this does not get the props it deserves, if half the folks over at cakewalk would give this program a proper shake down they would switch.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Half the folks at Cakewalk don't deserve a program like this one.

:twisted:

Just sayin'

--Mac
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I just stumbled in on this one. I've been using the sfz player since my ntrack days, and never got involved in the mts sampler. It works like a charm, thanks for the tip Mac. 8)
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I did an in depth analysis of the difference using MSt sampler and Sfz and Jeskola SF players and the sampler won hands down every stinking time i heard more portions of the sample clearly. What a great tool.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

What I noticed is when I loaded my nskit I got a message that informed me that although nskit has 21 velocity layers the sampler can only process 16 (or 17). :shock: I can't say whether it sounds worse or not because I don't have a comparison. What exactly does that mean?
Mac

Post by Mac »

sinbad wrote:What I noticed is when I loaded my nskit I got a message that informed me that although nskit has 21 velocity layers the sampler can only process 16 (or 17). :shock: I can't say whether it sounds worse or not because I don't have a comparison. What exactly does that mean?
More Velocity layers translates to more resolution on the hits you hear vs the Velocity data entered for that note.

When a sample is recorded, the Velocity Layers are made by the sampler, more layers is considered more useful, of course, in many cases when you hit a Midi key softly or enter a low Velocity number, the sample may actually pick a completely different sample for that particular note and instrument, that was recorded that way. In other cases, the sampling engineer might be using amplitude manipulation to create more layers from less actual samples.

I don't think its a big kill here, after all, the differential between the total count of 21 and what MTS can handle is only like maybe 5 layers.

Very likely that nobody could hear that difference when all is said and done.

Consider this, many soundfonts have only three or less velocity layers to them. Soft, Medium and Hard.

Gigasamples usually contain a lot of Velocity layers, though.

I can certainly tell the difference when using Piano soundfonts vs gigasampler soundfonts, the keyboard responds to very light touches with very soft sounds when using the gigas, with the soundfonts, the softest touch still only delivers a rather mundane piano hit of medium loudness.

--Mac