Recording Jamstix2 midi out

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

On the song list of jamstix make sure to set your INTRO part to start at the same bar as MTS. Next to the part name there's bars and reps. Click right on the number to set the intro bar # with co-responding bar for the start of your song in MTS. Hope this helps
Andr
tmon

Post by tmon »

I just tried the "13.2 MIDI Drag-&-Drop" maneuver, dragging the "SONG label" onto the track with snap to grid. Worked fine. Nice to see all those midi events on the piano roll view!

Wow, this is starting to look cool. Now I have to get into song structuring/arranging and all with Jamstix 2 within MTS, but this is all very encouraging.

(Thanks for that tip about setting the INTRO part, Andre).

Sinbad, is this all working for you?
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Hi, back on line.
tmon, you are ahead of me on this one. What is meant by SONG Label? is it the mts track name or what?
Mac that's a good idea moving the rest of the song to match up with mts, if Mohammed won't go to the mountain then the mountain must go to Mohammed. I am one beat out, just enough to screw everything up. I see there is a 2.0.12, I'll load that and give it a whirl.
Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Edit: Duh I found it :oops:
tmon

Post by tmon »

I'm just glad to see ANY discussion of MTS, even if it is about Jamstix2.....

Look at the numbers of "views" on the Rayzoon Support board...MTS has a ways to go...

http://rayzoon.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewforum.php?f=2
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

It works like a charm :D I just let js do its thing and copied the song thing into a midi track then I loaded my natural studios free kit soundfonts into the sampler and let it rip. Needs a bit of work but it's fun. I couldn't get to grips with js1 at all, but this is a different animal altogether.
Its the first time I have worked with midi in mts. I seem to remember in ntrack (Giel are you listening?) that you could right click a note on the lefthand piano keys and highlight all the notes on that line so that you could increase the velocity globally. I couldn't figure out how to do that in mts, but I suppose there must be a way :roll: Anyway at last I'm having fun with drums, Whoo hoo!
Support

Post by Support »

sinbad wrote:...highlight all the notes on that line so that you could increase the velocity globally...
The Drum editor can do that. You can click an instrument name on the left (this actually toggles between "select this instrument only" and "select all instruments"). Then click Select All. Then click the editor's EDIT button (on the left). Now you can use the slider to turn up or down all notes.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Thanks for the info, but how do I invoke the drum editor? :?
I have a standard midi track with drum notes and a piano on the left hand side, but I can't figure out how to make a drum track out of it. I tried looking in the help file but didn't get anywhere.
Support

Post by Support »

sinbad wrote:Thanks for the info, but how do I invoke the drum editor?
If you're looking at the piano roll there are 4 small button in the bottom-right corner of the editor. They're labeled W, P, N and D, which stands for Wave, Pianoroll, Notation and Drums.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Brilliant Giel, this certainly beats reading the manual. As Mac would say:"it never ceases to amaze me what is in this program" (or something like that.
Thanks for the feedback. :D
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I used JS1 extensively here in MTS, and was getting a tad frustrated with it while it did nicely, it never played right completely, it was over busy and a bit unnatural. But with one sitting with the JS2 demo it is incredible.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Robomusic wrote:I used JS1 extensively here in MTS, and was getting a tad frustrated with it while it did nicely it never palyed right completely, it was over busy and a bit unnatural. But with one sitting with the JS2 demo it is incredible.
That's the report I was waiting to hear.

Thanks so much!

Looks like I need Mo' Money once again... :roll:

Will be givin' the demo a shakedown soon.

--Mac
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

What i liked Mac was the fact, (hey that kinda rhymed) anyway it seemed have better intros and endings much more natural, and it jammed with the midi in a far more controlled fashion. The ability to give it a personality was a great touch. the fills and stuff are very real sounding.
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

After going through jamstix 2 manual a few times and reading the post at its forum I'm starting to get familiarized with it. Its working pretty smooth with MTS even though there's still a few bugs but nothing to panic about. Just got to remember to save song often or you might get a surprise at sometime or another. I learned that pretty quick. :roll: Rayzoon is working hard to fix them and its much better now after the 17th fix from the first release of jamstix 2.
There only one thing that I've been busting my head for, is how to output the drum so that I can add EQ, Compressors and reverb to each individual drum peaces. Jamtix2 has a pretty good sound as is but if I could apply MTS effect processors for each individual drum peaces to it existing sound, then it would be smokin'. I hope it can be done somehow.

For those who are looking for good drummers to jam and compose music within MTS, I think jamstix is a good investment. Its a bit of a learning curve at first but once you get the hang of it, its fun to jam with real drummers. :)
Andr
Mac

Post by Mac »

How does the auto jamming work with Jamstix and MTS now?

Can I simply play a part and will the auto drummer accompany?

Have they added JAZZ drummer to the fray yet?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd prefer getting info form users at this point...

TIA,

--Mac
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

Hello Mac,
Jamstix follow the velocity very well for dynamics. As far as free jam its not quite like the previous version.
There a bit of setting up to do before you start jamming. IE: intro, song parts, ending, styles, and the drummer you want to use but its very minimal and then you let the drummer do its thing.
The results blows jamstix 1 away no doubt.

It has a brush player which does a great job with the jazz style and of course flatpicking and bluegrass

Its very versatile, but to take jamstix 2 to its fullest you will need the XL drumpack which includes brush pack, snare pack and so on

As I said in my previous post, I need to figure out how to output the drum so that I can add EQ, Compressors and reverb to each individual drum peaces. Jamtix2 has a pretty good sound as is but if I could apply MTS effect processors for each individual drum peaces to it existing sound, then it would be smokin'. I think I've figure it. I'll let you know tomorrow

Andr