mixdown to mp3 ??

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
sinbad

mixdown to mp3 ??

Post by sinbad »

Anybody know how it's done? It's been so long since I did it that I cannot remember. I thought that it was just mixdown file to.. , or save file as...and then specifiy mp3. I keep getting wav files so I am obviously doing something wrong. I looked in the help file but couldn't find anything.
I have Lame Enc installed so that can't be the problem. Any ideas?
Mac

Post by Mac »

When you perform the Mixdown command, at the SaveAs window, STOP.

Take a look at the bottom dropdown in that Explorer window and choose "MPEG" as file type first. Default is .wav

--Mac
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Hi Mac,
I figured it out. I was doing it right except that I wanted to use the same file name in the mp3 file. If I give it a different name it works. I don't remember having this difficulty before though. With all the convertors I have used it just changes the file type and keeps the name which is nice for archiving.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Mine will name an mp3 file the same name as an existing .wav file in the same folder.

You may have inadvertently already had an mp3 extension of the same name in there, but mine will prompt about "Do you want to replace existing file" of same name. Because this is windows explorer at work at that point.

--Mac
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Strange, when I do that I get a message that I can't copy a file onto itself.
:?
Mac

Post by Mac »

Try a new folder. Maybe.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

When I do that I get a wav file :shock:
I think I'll ask Giel.
Support

Post by Support »

The Save As dialog sometimes does things like this, except when someone tries to fix it :?

After using the browse button, and closing the Save As dialog watch the File box (in the mixdown window). If it doesn't read .mp3 you can click it and change .wav to .mp3. Then press Enter to accept the new value.
Mac

Post by Mac »

I've never had the problem, but then I'm not fast on the trigger finger either.

That dropdown is important to scrutinize before hitting the Enter key...

--Mac
Support

Post by Support »

Mac wrote:I've never had the problem
Does your Windows Explorer show all file extensions (and not hide the known ones)? That could make the difference here.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

OK my file box didn't show any file extension so I typed in .mp3 and bingo. The only gripe I have now is that when I tried to abort the action by pressing the top right hand X, I got an mp3 file anyway. It may be an idea to implement a cancel function :wink:
Thanks Giel
Theun

Post by Theun »

Mac, you triggered my brain :idea: with the remark
Mac wrote: Because this is windows explorer at work at that point.
--Mac
..... because as a result of that the behavior of MtStudio will change when the behavior of windows explorer changes!

Well, for a few days I am running MtStudio under Vista here, and I also noticed the change in behavior Sinbad describes. (as well as xtra questions asked upon leaving MtStudio without saving files).

So using different versions of windows (Vista vs XP) may cause these differences.

Of course I'll have to drop this theory if Sinbad isn't running Vista yet. :)
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I wouldn't touch vista with a ten foot bargepole! :twisted:
Mac

Post by Mac »

Man, there are so many settings inside XP (and likely more in Vista) that tracking down why you don't see the extensions and I always do could just lead to insanity.

I keep mine set up for basic "vintage" views, low processor usage, low video, etc. Don't know if that makes a diff or not. So many tweaks, I can't even remember the half of 'em by now.

To answer the question from our honorable Support, YES. I've always seen the full list of filetypes as far as I can remember. Just checked to be sure and I still see them there in the Explorer dropdown in that Save window. I hope you haven't jinxed me now... but who's superstitious? :shock:

--Mac
SleggTheSockpuppet

Post by SleggTheSockpuppet »

(this has worked in every XP i've had;
i do it every time i start using an XP machine)

try :

open any folder
click on "tools" in the main menu at the top
click on "folder options"
click on the "view" tab at the top of the "folder options" window
you should get a list of options with tick-boxes: under "files and folders" you'll hopefully find "hide extensions for known types": click on the tick box to uncheck it