My Tune Quits With Jamstix 2.1, But Not With 2.0

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
pugetsound

My Tune Quits With Jamstix 2.1, But Not With 2.0

Post by pugetsound »

Greetings Everyone! I'm new and this is my first post. I have a demo with several tracks worked-up on MTS. I used Jamstix 2.0 and everything worked fine. However, when I swapped-out 2.0 for the new 2.1, I got the buffer-under-run message and everything quit. Has this happened to any one else?
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Different people get different results from Jamstix and MTS. This means that it is probably very system/configuration dependent. I tried every version between 2 and 2.1 with mixed results, sometimes with an improvement, other times not. At the moment it seems to be working ok.
Make sure that you have nothing running in the background ie. virus progs, firewall etc. The standard tweaks for audio use can also help. Send your log files to Ralph at Rayzoon for analysis, that helps to pinpoint errors. I noticed that the Jamstix window is sometimes a cpu hog, leading to overload. Try using the simple version. Check your latency settings,and apart from that, just fool around until you get it to stabilise.
If you were happy with the version 2, then go back to that. "Don't fix what ain't broke" You can copy the extra drum sounds and mappings into your data folder.
HTH
pugetsound

Post by pugetsound »

Thanks for the reply. That all makes sense. With latency, my understanding is that MTS runs plugins which are in playback mode at a 4096 buffersize. If they're recording they use the ASIO buffer size. So, JS being a player, I don't think there is any tweaking I could possibly do, there.

I have been quite happy with JS in general and Ralph's always quick to help with issues. I'm lookin' to stick with it, no pun intended...
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

As I understand it, if you are using asio latency is set by your soundcard and not mts, so any tweaking has to be done there. I noticed on my system that me being lazy and badly organised, that I sometimes have things running in the background. So if I get a crash, it is probably my fault. If you consider the fact that true multitasking doesn't exist on a standard pc, and that everything has to wait its turn. It is a wonder that it works as well as it does. I also noticed that with jamstix sometimes an improvement was worse than before. So maybe it could be worth going back to version 2.
pugetsound

Post by pugetsound »

"...Words of wisdom, Lloyd--words of wisdom..."

--The Shining
pugetsound

Post by pugetsound »

Hey, I forgot to say thanks! Hasta Luego...