MIDI clock Sync To/From External Device?

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
shkgrad

MIDI clock Sync To/From External Device?

Post by shkgrad »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to send or receive a MIDI clock with MTS?

I'm old (fool) school where I program a drum track (start to finish) into a drum machine then want to record it into MTS.

How can I keep MTS and the drum Machine to in sync? :shock:

I read the manual and didn't see anything about external sync... did I just mis it? :oops:

Thanks,
Mac

Post by Mac »

MTS can SEND sync messages.

Because MTS deals with audio files as well as midi, the manual says that trying to sync MTS to an external midi clock is problematic because if you change the rate from the external device, MTS cannot change the audio files accordingly in realtime. Makes sense if you stop and think about that.

Page 55 of the manual, "Midi Output Control":
The External Sync section specifies the type of sync messages sent over the MIDI Out Device. This way hardware or
software sequencers can be synchronized with MultitrackStudio.

So MTS can OUTput sync and that sounds like the way to go here.

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Go to the Studio Menu (upper right) and select "MIDI output control" I think it is. (Or perhaps "Devices" and then select "MIDI output control"... I can't quite remember). In the right side column, select "MIDI clock" (It's the second or third option down). Then make sure on the drum machine, that it's set to receive external sync clock.

Now when you start and stop MTS, the drum machine should start and stop and play at the same BPM. I just did this recently with a few songs so I know it works.

I hope I explained this correctly, as I am not near my music computer.

Also, if you wish to control your drum machine using a keyboard (as a sound module), make sure that your drum machine is set up to recieve on the same MIDI channel that the keyboard is sending from.

http://multitrackstudio.com/midioutcontrol.php

The way I have my drum machine set up is like this:

[Computer MIDI out]-->[Keyboard MIDI in]
[Keyboard MIDI out]-->[Computer MIDI in]
[Keyboard MIDI thru]-->[Drum Machine MIDI in]

My keyboard is a synthesizer and a controller.
The drum machine doesn't have a MIDI out nor a MIDI thru.