Jamstix and MTS ?s

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Robomusic

Jamstix and MTS ?s

Post by Robomusic »

I have MTS 4.31 and JS version 2.14, and when ever I open up an old song with JS1 in it, I can not replace it with JS2, the minute i try it cloes down MTS. I can add JS 2 into a new song with no issues. but never replace. Also when i open an old song that has JS1 in it the splash screen that opens and asks for the drum map setup flashes and goes away instantly. I was thinking of removing JS1 completely, but can i then still use the JS one patches or does the program have to stay as well?
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Forum?s a bit slow.
If I remeber rightly you have to have JS1 to use JS1 samples, something in the format I guess. I'm sure you'd get a better answer over at Rayzoon.
I?m still having issues with JS. Sometimes it just wipes out for no apparent reason. I tried using Reaper but it turns out to be a cpu hog on my machine. That's life. :cry:
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

It does crash occasionally, but I think that is JS not MTS. I tried Reaper, but it made no sense to me at all, everyone said it was simple, but i could not navigate around. I like the cakewalk family better if I was not using MTS i would use Sonar.
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

I also had trouble with Reaper. It just wouldn't run on my old computer and on my new computer it causes my backup program to fail. My backup program is the most important program on the computer, so Reaper has to go instead of it. Reaper claims to run on Windows 98 as well as Vista, but I just don't believe it. It failed on both of those systems for me. And I have tried multiple versions of it.

Just looking at the preferences/settings of Reaper is enough to turn me off. It's got way too much stuff to fiddle with/way too many settings to go wrong.
I have the same problem with Music Creator 4: too much stuff complicated stuff to deal with.

I'd rather be making music than learning how to run a complicated program. That's what keeps bringing me back to MultitrackStudio.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Robomusic,
nice to know I'm not the only one :D Can't grumble though, I got the free samplitude which is good for laying down js tracks, very stable. Unfortunately it doesn't allow more than 2 plugins per track in the free version otherwise I would use it more. Not that it matters though, my drum tracks are so crappy I'm seriously thinking of firing the drummer anyway :wink:
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

JS2 is running very nicely now, you just have to be patient, nd not rush things. MTS is so stable it is not funny
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I must admit, I do enjoy just letting JS get on with it and then jam along. It beats a click track anyday
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Has anyone taken JS2 and done a mulitple output setup in MTS? I did this the other night in Cakewalk MC3 i set JS2 to 8 outputs and it send each to a separate track in MC, i had to click the input on each track to connect, but it worked. If this is possible in MTS it would be cool.
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

Hi Robomusic,
JS2 multiple outputs works in MST also. Once you have setup JS2 for 8 outputs, on the right side of JS2's window click on output and all the level controls are automatically setup for each drum peaces. The only thing I find inconvenient, is that there's no level meters for each level control which makes it tricky to setup levels for the drums.

A level meter for each output in JS2 would be very useful for setting up the drums but I don't now if this is possible. If it is, maybe its something to ask for the future. But who do we ask? MTS or JS2?
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Okay you click on the output, but how do you get it to record into 8 separate tracks for processing?
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Maybe i am over thinking this beast, do I need it recorded, i just need to be able to add effects to the separate tracks for mix down.

One thing i notced is that JS outputs to 8 tracks, and MTS see 4 stereo tracks. Any thoughts on that?
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

ok about the 4 stereo outs, go into JS option, turn off stereo audio outputs. Note you will have to restart MTS for this to take affect. OK now you reopen your song, JS outputs will now have individual mono level control. From here I record 1 drum peace at a time into separate tracks by having the level turned up for the kick then start over for the snare and so on. It only way I could figure out. Yes it's a slow process but works. I'm open for a better way of doing this.
Hope this will help you out
Andre
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

The mono trick didn't work for me, no matter what I do I get 8 stereo channels. Although I must admit I don't know how I got so many. It started off as 4 stereo channels and at some stage when I restarted mts it just jumped up to 8. I guess if I'm patient it will eventually revert to 4, or even mono.
As far as recording the drums individually, have you tried just copying the midi output to a track and then copying each instrument into its own track. That way you can either use JS as a drum machine or the mts sampler and you have the mixer.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I did the mono trick and it added 8 channels to the 4 i already had, very strange!
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Rayzoon are bringing version 2.2 out in a couple of weeks, maybe it'll get fixed by that. Maybe its an MTS problem. Giel, you still there? :wink: