Jamstix and MTS ?s

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I had a crash last night i was adjusting the compressor section in JS and it shut MTS down.
Support

Post by Support »

Sinbad: yes, send the jamstix report please.

Why haven't I received any MultitrackStudio error reports concerning Jamstix for a couple of months? Does it always disappear without warning these days (in that case there's no error report to be sent)?
SleggTheSockpuppet

Post by SleggTheSockpuppet »

sinbad may be joking, but i really would like to be able to load samples into the mts drum editor; this thread has done nothing to make me want to buy jamstix
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Where would I find the MTS error reports?
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Slegg, don't let this discourage you with Jamstix, it works flawlessly in MTS, the only problem for me is trying to do to much on the fly, and i must say crashes are few and far between, and Jamstix is a complicated program that does a lot so it is hard on all DAWs. I have not figured out how to do 8 outputs yet, but as one output each drum can be panned and it sounds great.

One other point, midi drums many times as we all know sound robotic, jamstix with it's limb technology sound as real as any drum module i have ever heard.
SleggTheSockpuppet

thanks rob, that is reassuring, & noted for future reference

however, the ability to load whatever .wa, .mp3, .aiff, etc. file into the mts would save me getting an external one; i can't really bothered with lots of new toys at present - "humanise", & the existing editing stuff in mts would do me fine if only the range of noises could be opened up

i want to play with stupid sound sources (eg my metal footpedal kitchen waste bin), & i think the prejudice against 5-limbed drummers is a little conservative; civil rights for mutants, i say)
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I agree with Robomusic. Jamstix is a brilliant software with so many possibilities. The occasional crash is definitely coupled with fiddling too much on the fly. Also, on my system I forget to turn off the wifi, the antivirus :roll: you name it. Being a laptop doesn't help either. To be fair, jamstix is pretty stable, and for a non drummer and complete midiot like myself it is the only decent sounding drum system at a reasonable price. Once you have your basic groove set up you just let it do its thing and you don't have any problems. If you really need to play safe, you either freeze the track or copy the track as a midi track and use Jamstix as a drum machine, or the mts sampler with some samples. In mts you can click on the individual drum and copy it to its own track thus giving you complete control over your drum kit. Well, theoretically anyway.
The main problem with jamstix is that it makes you want to fiddle with things on the fly...
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

Release Candidate 1 for JAMSTIX 2.2 has just been released. Lets give this a try and see if any of us get errors so we can send reports before the actual 2.2 is released.

I find that if you're patient and don't rush js2 it works pretty smoothly. I do get the odd crash but its getting better as the fixes are uptaded..

Hi Giel,
As far as for sending error reports, the few crashes that I've had well they where good ones where I had to reboot and there was no evidence of what had happen.
I use the audioM8 plugin 99.9% of the time, also use the jam modes with audio.

Most crashes occur while toggling between groove, accent and fills.

I've had 3 crashes where I had the output window open and I was trying to setup the effects for each drum peace with multiple outs. I now use a work arround which is better for adding effects. "record each peace to their own track in mts and apply effects in mts mixer instead".
Support

Post by Support »

SleggTheSockpuppet wrote:but i really would like to be able to load samples into the mts drum editor
You can load your audio files in a Sampler, then you can use the drum editor to play them.

You can even simply drag your waste bin recording from Windows Explorer to a MIDI track's synth slot. A sampler patch will be created automatically and you can edit waste bin hits right away. :D
Support

Post by Support »

sinbad wrote:Where would I find the MTS error reports?

It's a file named "MtStudioLog.txt" in the Windows "Temp" folder. On XP this is something like:

"C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Local Settings\Temp\MtStudioLog.txt"

MultitrackStudio will show a message asking to send a report automatically. If the program disappears instantly there's probably no error information logged, but you can send it anyway. You never know :wink:
Support

Post by Support »

Andr? Giroux wrote:I use the audioM8 plugin 99.9% of the time, also use the jam modes with audio.
What do you guys typically use audioM8 for? Does it sense existing tracks which are playing back, or does it sense tracks which are being recorded using Tape Type Monitoring?

Giel Bremmers
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

In my case audioM8 is being used for both, sense the track which is being recorded using Tape Type Monitoring and afterwards in an existing track which is playing back.
Saz

Post by Saz »

SleggTheSockpuppet wrote: i really would like to be able to load samples into the mts drum editor
Check out some drum samplers here...

http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=re ... t=1&rpp=15

I'm just getting back into this stuff again after a 3 year distraction, but I was using the free Fxpansion DR-005(my favorite at the time) with MTS to create drum tracks using my own samples with an Oxygen8 midi keyboard and it worked quite well.

I'm checking out the new, free SuperDrumFX at present(shows promise) and I'll be checking out some other samplers on that page in the days ahead.
SleggTheSockpuppet

... working bakwards from the present...

thanks saz, i've downloaded some of those; i'll see if they're simple enough for me to cope with

& thanks giels - of course any snippet of .Wav file droppd onto the mts sampler would give me midi-editing speed & the advantage the "humanise" button, but for some reason i hadn't thought of that till you suggested it (i've been copy&pasting audioclips in the .wav editor like a fool - - when i thought about the mts sample i (stupidly) just dismissed it coz it doesn't give multiple instrumements like the onboard drumfacility: but actually if i'm working with "found noises" it's best to have them on separate tracks for tweaking anyway

ta