Live effects

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
sinbad

Live effects

Post by sinbad »

Hi,
is there any way I can monitor effects in the effect returns while playing? I can monitor the effects in the track ok, but the ones in the effect return evade me. I'm using a emu 1616m soundcard. It's a bit of a pain having to play the track back before I know what it sounds like.
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

Hi sinbad,
This is what the manual says for live recording.

Monitoring
Monitoring means: hearing the track you're recording. The best way to achieve this is in hardware, as this doesn't introduce a delay.

Set up up monitoring using the WinSound driverset
If you're using the WinSound driverset you can access the soundcard's internal mixer using the Studio menu's Audio Output Control option. Turn up the Mic or Line input (the one you're using) so you can hear it. Note that more faders can be made visible using the Options menu's Properties window. Cheap or onboard soundcards typically support this.

Set up up monitoring using the AsioSound driverset
If you're using the AsioSound driverset then you can use the soundcard's control panel (if available) to set up monitoring. Some soundcard have hardware knob to do this. Not all soundcards have monitoring features, in this case an analog mixer can be used if available.
Using Tape Type Monitoring
Note: this option works with the AsioSound or VistaSound driversets only.

If this option is activated recording audio tracks will send the signal they're recording to the Audio Out Device after having applied any effects. This way effects (like Guitar Amp or Reverb) can be played "live".

It is not recommended to use this feature as a means of monitoring the signal you're recording, as there is an inherent latency between the input and the output signal. Using a low latency will increase the risk of glitches in the recordings. All these problems can be avoided by using the monitoring options mentioned above.

"I did use tape type monitoring with asiosound when I had creative soundcard setup. It was a little tricky as you have to be carefull not to have the buffering set to low. But it works, if your carefull not get any glitches. read in the manual it explains how to setup for tape type monitoring. If you need a step by step on how I did it let me know I try my best to have it in detail."

Andre
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Andre,
thanks for your very detailed reply. I'm doing just about all you said, and I get the effects in the track windows without any problems. The problem I'm having is that the effect returns are switched off when I press record. There doesn't appear to be any way round that. I am trying to establish a nice blues electric guitar sound using plugins. I guess it means I'll have to pack everything into the track effect using MULTI slots.
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

I see what your trying to do now. MTS remove`s the effect return nobs as you press rec. while using tape type monitoring. Its something that would be nice if we could use effect returns for the track being recorded but that`s not the case for now, so your right about using a multi effect plug for the sound you want while recording. You can save that multi effect on the shelf preset once you have it tuned up for other projects.
Hope this is any help
Andre
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

That's a good tip, I keep forgetting that one.