Still struggling - a bit.

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
shinerxl

Post by shinerxl »

Hello again. Thanks for the advice on importing cd tracks, it worked a treat.
HOWEVER, I have the dreaded sync problems. I switched to ASIO but lost all in and outputs so toggled that back again. I cannot find where to check or uncheck the EMU box and cerainly have no idea where to find Windows "Auto Insert Notification" so I can switch it off, if that is the problem. Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.
Mark. Orkney.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Need more specific info in order to help if we can, that is.

"EMU box" ? Which one, what model, what OS, etc.

"sync probs" ? In what fashion. Be specific.

--Mac
shinerxl

Post by shinerxl »

Hi, thanks Mac. Well I have imported a CD track as a wav file and have attempted to record another track beside it. On playback the new track has a very slight but increasing lag behind the first (ex-CD, now WAV) track. I am on a very new laptop but with Windows XP and no ASIO on a Realtek full duplex soundcard. The "EMU" i refer to is the 'Apply EMU10k1 44.1 kHz Audio Sync Correction' referred to in the FAQ's. I cannot find it. I have had a reply from Giel today with advice to set the song sample rate to 48000. I will have to re-import the CD track as otherwise it plays back very fast.
I think what I really should do is just, initially, try a conventional multi-track recording without an imported ex-CD WAV and see if it is OK. If so then it may just be an issue with the imported track.
I am perhaps running before I can walk.
Thanks, Mark, Orkney.
Mac

Post by Mac »

You are in contact with THE MAN himself, take his advice and stay in contact should that not do the trick.

That EMU thing is ONLY for certain Creative soundcards like the old Soundblaster Live! -- don't even try that for your builtin RealTek.

You couldn't record any ASIO likely because you don't have any ASIO drivers for a built in soundcard, they don't do ASIO as shipped.

However, you could google up ASIO4ALL.exe and use that to wrap WDM Realtek to ASIO if you like.

However, I don't think your problem is due to driver choice, the Windows drivers can sync and run perfectly well once things are tweaked into place. The laptop disk may be the culprit, if it is a lowly 4200 rpm drive, minimum I recommend for this kind of work is 5400rpm with an 8mb buffer. Also, RAM can come into play, not enough ram can sometimes cause audio dropouts, but not typical to cause sync problems, which are usually caused by clock. It may be that your RealTek is using the system clock, which can get interrupted by background programs, virus scanner, or the like and cause the newly recorded track to wander against the already recorded track.

--Mac
shinerxl

Post by shinerxl »

Hi Mac. You are right, he's THE MAN and no mistake. All fine and dandy now. But thankyou for taking the time to help. Its appreciated.
Cheers, Mark. Orkney.