Using the sample rate converter

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
shinerxl

Post by shinerxl »

OK, I have probably missed somthing really obvious here but how do you use the Sample Rate Converter?
I have a WAV file I ripped from a CD which I want to convert to 48000. I open the Converter, use browse to put the file into the "input file" box and then wonder what to put into the "Output file" box. I try the same file, and get a message saying it can't copy a file onto itself - seems reasonable. So I just give the output file a made up name, trying to create a new file. No, it cant open that, because of course I just made it up. Fair enough. I feel a bit of a muppet and I am sure the anwers are very obvious but I think I am approaching this from the wrong angle. So, in short, how do I convert a saved Wav file, ripped from a CD from 41100 to 48000? I just know I am going to kick myself when I find out.
Otherwise I am really getting into this piece of kit. If only I had had it when I was 17... (1986!) Cheers all, Mark.
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

Hey Mark,
1. use browse to put the original file into the "input file" box and then
2. open the browse output file and give a new name and select where you want it to be saved. example: /document/songs.
3. click ok in the sample rate convertor and choose which quality of bit you want and then click ok and voila, your new file is in the folder where you saved it in.
Hope this helps you out.
Andre
shinerxl

Post by shinerxl »

Thanks Andr?. Sadly, I am no further forward. In order to use MTS I need to set all songs to 48000 before I do anything else. Imported WAV files from CDs always then play much too fast with raised pitch so I thought using the sample rate coverter would help here. I can't get it to work. Input file is always set at 48000 while output is at 41100. If you change one parameter it reverts back when you try to change the other. This is why I reckon I am probably not using the sample rate converter to do the right job anyway. Leastways, I cannot get it to do my bidding. I shall take the easy (and longer) option of simply recording the CD tracks in real time through a cable.
C'est la vie!
Merci.
Mark, Orkney.
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

Hi Mark,
In the sample rate convertor window input area bring in the original file, enter the sample rate of your original file manually. Clic on sample rate so it highlights, enter the sample rate of your original file and press enter on your keyboard. Now do the same for the output file, highlight and enter 48000 sample rate and press enter on keyboard also don't forget to clic on browse to name and save your new file to the location desired. Press ok in the sample convertor window and select the bit depth desired.
Sample convertor works great for me, I use it all the time. Its got to be something small were missing here.

Hope this helps you this time.
Andre
shinerxl

Post by shinerxl »

Andr?,
Thanks for taking me through that in detail. It worked! Simple when you know how. I'm just glad you know how.
I think that the problem was that I was inputing the desired rates but (don't laugh) not pressing enter! It was just defaulting back again. Very frustrating.
Many thanks for taking the time. Cheers, Mark. Orkney.
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

Hey Mark,
I'm glad I was able to help you out. :)

The one thing you should do if you haven't already, is print out MTS manual and go through it completely a few times. This will save you some headackes and flustrasions trying to figure out things. There's lots of details and shortcuts available in the manual that will save you alot of time.

Have a great time trackin'
Andre
Mac

Post by Mac »

I just keep a .pdf of the manual on my desktop. Well, actually a shortcut to it.

Open it up while MTS is running, use the FIND feature in Adobe to quickly get to things by keywords.

--Mac
Saz

Post by Saz »

From the MTS manual...
MultitrackStudio features a context-sensitive help system: pressing the F1 key will show help on the item the mouse points to.
Try the F1 key for help in other programs too - some work, some don't.
shinerxl

Post by shinerxl »

I have the manual on my desktop too. There's nothing wrong with it but it somtimes assumes a level of knowledge a fraction above my own. The sample rate converter problem was a minor case in point. I got confused about how to use it partly because I thought "input" and "output" related to the channels of the MTS rather then in input and output of the converter itself. Then there was the simple probem of not pressing enter when I set the rate as on other windows programs you do not need to. Both easily sorted by asking around (thanks) but the manual does not give a step by step guide, it is one step removed from this. Now, don't get me wrong, the manual is a huge undertaking alone, never mind writing this excellent piece of software so its not a critisism. Also the manual would be about three times the size. I am a musician and luthier, rather than a computer user but its all good. All good.
Thanks again for the help so far. I am just embarking on a commission for my local Health Authority to produce a CD of relaxation music for their Chronic Anxiety therapy group. I'll be posting extracts of these 20 minute pieces with not a keyboard in sight. Be about 8 weeks! Cheers, Mark.
Mac

Re: Using the sample rate converter

Post by Mac »

shinerxl wrote:I am just embarking on a commission for my local Health Authority to produce a CD of relaxation music for their Chronic Anxiety therapy group.
Sounds like a good candidate for my new genre.

Disco Gospel

But the lead guitar will be a nice soothing Death Metal/Thrash/Shred break played by this 17 year old.

Good Luthiers don't make mistakes.

They just convince the client that its new and innovative and totally custom, just for YOU.

--Mac
shinerxl

Post by shinerxl »

Hey Mac, did I make you an instrument at some point?
Mac

Post by Mac »

No, I toyed around with a bit of Luthiery myself in the past, though, at another guy's shop with his name on it, learned the important tricks of the trade, like the one mentioned above...