Hey Giel - whatcha workin' on ? :)

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

I'll give this a "Third" . . .

Some are more attracted to the "eye candy" more than to the functionality. I can say this with my background as a programmer and network engineer. Windows is a perfect example . . . My attraction to MTS was the functionality (although I think the "looks" is very simplistic) over the "eye candy" of the other recorders. I really don't think 5.0 will change the user interface too much . . . maybe simpler.

:!:

Mike /..
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I have given this much though, pondered many times. Let me paint a picture of this topic.

I have spent countless hours over at Cakewalks Music Creator forum, trying to help others to setup and learn Cakewalk. There frustrations are as follows:

1. The software is far from intuitive on setup, it defaults to WDM drivers which for the newbie has not internal synth so of the bat the tutorials with midi do not play, it struggles to find the audio driver on setup so the audio does not work.

2. Once setup to use a softsynth you have to open a tool called synthrack, this will open both a midi and an audio track, placing the VSTi in one track and outputting to the other. That is a lot of routing for a newb, when in MTS all one has to do is open the VSTi in the slot in the midi track, and it acts like an audio track.

3. The buss setup does not allow effects to be placed on the midi tracks, except the midi effects. so if one sends more than one midi track to a VSTi the following effects is processed on every track that goes that way.

I have spoken privately with several over there when they have been ready to pull out there hair, and only one came over here and gave it a serious shake down. They would rather wrestle that program than use this one. Obviously intemidated by the simplicity. One bloke over there said to me, "but there is more support over at cakewalk" I relpied "thats cause you don't need it with MTS, it works!!!"
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

I can relate to that very much.

I bought Music Creator 4 (by Cakewalk) to compliment MultitrackStudio in the MIDI department. Music Creator 4 is considered by some to be a stripped down version of Sonar.

It's true that MC4 is not as intuitive as MultitrackStudio. I did all of the tutorial lessons and it's just way too densely packed with functions that aren't really needed. The overall effect is that it's difficult to use unless you've completely mastered it over a long period of time.

Also, the screen layout in MultitrackStudio is much less cluttered. With MC4, I really need a bigger monitor than 17" in order to get at everything.

In recent months I completely ignored MC4 and went back to using MultitrackStudio. If Giel fixes one particular MIDI quantize issue with MTS (I need a MIDI quantize that doesn't quantize note durations and noteoffs), then I'll upgrade again and completely ditch MC4 and probably remove it.

MultitrackStudio (Pro Plus) is my main workhorse program. And it was the easiest program to install on Vista.
ravenmusic

Post by ravenmusic »

Some years ago I had MC 2 and the main issue I had with it was that it often freezed, crashed and suffered the annoying pops and clicks. Admittedly a better processor on my computer would have helped. But I kept going with it for about a year or so. It was Robo who introduced me to MTS and I havent looked back sinse then. Even on my old computer with the inadequate processor MTS did not crash or freeze.

This is a great programme, its difficult to imagine how it can be improved.
meveridge

Post by meveridge »

. . . and now the answer for the "yellow snow" question and what does it have to do with MTS 5.0. Yellow snow has a "different" look . . . "eye candy" . . . but the "taste" is quite different. To me, the other software is the yellow snow . . . don't eat it . . .

Most of the post that I've seen are related to issues mostly concerning plugins. Some are not. But, not the critical, "How do you install MTS" type. That speaks well with the engineering background. The simplicity of usability speaks well of the design. Either the designer was a user or someone in good communication with one. Most software is built by software developers for software developers. Doesn't seem to be the case here. Giel has something here . . .

Good to see we've gotten back on track . . .
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I came to MTS from n-track because it just kept crashing. The functionality to proceration was right so I went for the pro version and never regretted it. I must admit I liked the inuitive approach of n-track, although the cut and splice was a bit irrational at times. One thing I miss is the mix down to track function and the equaliser for doing sweeps. In MTS there was an issue with Jamstix at first, but that is largely solved now.
Giel, just keep making things simpler and keep it stable, leave the gimics to the rest of the field. :D
Mac

Post by Mac »

What is, "proceration"?
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

it's better than amatureceration! :shock:
Mac

Post by Mac »

I really hope you meant, "Amateur" there...

:lol:
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

See mac, i am what is called an unlimited speller! :oops:
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

relates to procurement 8) I didn't make it up, just thought it sounded good :D
Mac

Post by Mac »

Um, wouldn't that then be, "procuration"?

sure.

:twisted:
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

Or .......... procurity or the state therein!
Mac

Post by Mac »

Seems to be a proclivity!
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

If you stick to it, you have a proclivnastity