DAW work flow comparision

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Robomusic

DAW work flow comparision

Post by Robomusic »

DAW basic work comparison:

I recently decided to do a basic comparison of three DAW programs I own. I chose not to do an in depth process that involved heavy features, but rather to just do a basic project and see how each handled the tasks. The test consisted of, 1. Importing a midi file. 2. Adding instruments and samples. 3. Adding effects. And 4. Mixing. The DAWS used were MultitrackStudio, Reaper, and Cakewalk?s MC3. Each used VSTi instruments, or samples, Two effects in busses (compression, and reverb), and a master limited on the main buss. For the most part the same instruments were used with maybe one or two differences in each DAW due to compatibility, and the effects were the host own effects. The midi file was the same in each, an old premade midi of the Eagles song ?Already Gone? it contains seven tracks. Drums, bass, two guitar tracks, piano, sax, and trombone.

Importing the file: In MTS the process for getting the file into the program was simple. Open the program, right click on the one track that is in the template and assign it as a .mid file, the right click again and open the midi file from it?s folder. Right click again and hit split streams. In Reaper all one has to do is to open the program open the folder and drag the file to the tracks view side of the screen, then click off the area and a box has the options, open in one track or separate tracks. In MC3 just right click in one of the midi tracks in the opening template, and open the midi file from the folder. Here no program had a clear advantage, all three were easy to load and setup.

Adding instruments and samples: In MTS to add the instruments and samples required that on each midi track you click on the midi port slot, and chose from a list the instrument you want to add a VSti you need to click VSTi and find the instrument, for three tracks I chose the built in sampler. This meant I had to then import from a list the sound font I wanted. In Reaper, you have to open a new track for each instrument you want to use, and add it to the FX box of that new track. Then you have to right click over the tracks I/O button and chose from a list under add receives to tell it to receive the signal from those chosen track. Slightly more complicated, but very flexible. In MC3 you must open the synth rack, and add each instrument to a list, then go to each track and tell it to output to the correct Instrument. In all three the appropriate patches must be placed in the instruments and adjustments must be made to the VSTis at times. All three were easy to handle these chores on, MTS was just a tad easier to setup due to the one screen display it uses. And the fact that it does not place the VSTi instruments in a much larger box that covers the screen up when opened.

Adding effects: MTS opens with one effect channel in the start up template, just drag another to the screen from the rack, and right click each and add the effect from a list, same with the master channel for the master limiter. Reaper required you to open two more new tracks and add the effects to the fx box of the tracks, and the master limiter to the main buss. Adding was a snap, adjusting and routing was a bit confusing, to send one has to open the I/O of the midi tracks, or the effect tracks and either setup a send or a receive. This is done with a pop up box that contains the send with a volume adjustment, not a effect slider. Another problem I encountered was that when you did that, the effect added was monumental, it took a lot of adjustment to make the effect subtle. While the routing is very flexible and the options unlimited, it is also more confusing. MC3 was different yet, like Reaper you had to add two stereo busses, and add effects to them, easy enough until you try to dial them in for the tracks, unlike Reaper and MTS you need to add sends to the VSTi tracks rather than the midi tracks, so if you are using on e instrument for say three midi tracks, the amount of effect is the same on each track, if that instrument is playing the acoustic guitar, piano, and bass, this can cause problems. Here MTS came out a clear winner, and Reaper a good second, MC3 while not harder, was not as flexible.

Mixing: In MTS the mixing is a breeze, all the adjustments are right there in front due to it?s one screen GUI, panning, effect sending, volume, in seconds it is done. No opening of screens and boxes to accomplish basic tasks. Reaper was fairly easy as well, but required you to open multiple screens and boxes to dial in the sends and receives, as the amount o effects is defaulted to a very high level and must be turned way down to start with. The effects were much harder to adjust to happy levels. MC3 was similar, open the console view helped dial in the effects, MC3 was also the only DAW in which I used Third party effects to match the qualtity I got from the other two, but it is also the cheapest DAW tested. This is true even though Reaper is free to use and download to own it cost $50. So for mixing is where MTS really shines. It was easier, to mix in and gave a mastered product with ease, Reaper was powerful and far more flexible, but took considerable more work to get a polished end result, MC3 is a great entry level software, it could use a bit more flexible buss architecture. But still all three are useable, and stable. Both MC3 and Reaper had more pops and crackles while mixing and adjusting on the fly, MTS won?t usually pop and crackle, it rather if overloaded during mixing it just pops up a screen and tell you it is overloaded requiring you to click the okay button and hit the play button again.