A nice freeware VST

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
NystagmusE

A nice freeware VST

Post by NystagmusE »

http://www.geocities.com/fender686/ (TLs Maximizer)

By the way, if you find it's using too much CPU, turn off the "automatic" feature in the top section of the limiter. It will still work as a limiter. I'm not really sure what the "automatic" setting does. Perhaps it's a look-ahead buffer, etc. But it's not needed for the limiter to still work.
Saz

Post by Saz »

Tin Brooke Tales(Daniel Lind) developed some nice plugins.

Check out the TLs Pocket Limiter also... http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/

More stuff here... http://www.tinbrooketales.com/archive/archive.htm
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Pocket Limiter is nice. I used to use that one. However, there was a bug in it that resulted in it slowly fading out the audio. I did some research on the web and it turned out that other people had the same problem. The bug had been reported and was supposed to have been fixed, but the bug still remained. Because of that, I quit using Pocket Limiter. If they have fixed the bug now, then I agree it's a good plugin. But if you do use it, be SURE to check your mixes after the fact to make sure that they haven't had their amplitude faded down.
Saz

Post by Saz »

I hadn't noticed that behavior with the version I use - 1.2

I'll keep an ear out just the same. :wink:

Thanks for the headsup!
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

hey Saz, what other plugins do you like to use?

I use these (freewares):

- STS-26 (pad synth)
- ReZ (analog synth)
- Classic Master Limiter (I use this at the -6 dB setting destructively on pads and basses to thicken them up; I don't use this as a plugin or master limiter).

- HighLife (sampler with nice filters and a few effects)
- Celox Filter (BPM-synced filter)
- Breakdown Filter
- AnalogX Audio Arpeggiator (the only DirectX plugin I use)
- Linear Phase Graphic EQ ( http://www.geocities.jp/webmaster_of_ss ... tml#lpgeq2 )

I haven't tried that new version of the Linear Phase Graphic EQ, but it looks really cool. The older version only had something like 10 bands, but works really well too.

I just recently thought again of using EnergyXT as a plugin vehicle to load up multiple VST synths into the same VSTi slot for stacking sounds. I can't wait to use this!
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I have just about every one of those, and a total butt load more, and i am down to using only the MTS effects now, i get better results, and less hassle with them
NystagmusE

Joys of Music

Post by NystagmusE »

Robo, that is cool that you are able to reduce your VST appetite :D :D :D.
With me, I'm addicted to VST(i)'s. I do delete some boring or problematic or redundant ones every once in a while, but it's really really nice having a big variety of plugins to deal with.

I pretty much steer clear of DirectX plugins. I don't like how they have to be registered with the registry for installation or removal or how they show up in other programs. Also, I've heard that they aren't typically delay-compensated.

I also tend to avoid VST(i)'s that can't be installed by simply dragging them to the VSTplugins folder. VST's are designed to be used as simply as that. When they can't be used like that, I know that the designer is messing around with the registry or copy protection schemes or additional .DLL dependencies or .NET framework or other nonsense.

I also tend to avoid VSTi's that are HUGE. Any VSTi that needs to install more than about 3 MB seems like trouble. I have a few big VSTi's but I'm kinda scared of the VSTi's that come on DVD as gigabytes of data!
:shock:

It is true that some VST's can be a hassle. There is a wide range of quality issues with them. But I do like how they are modular and pretty much harmless to deal with most of the time. I also like how both old and new VST's still pretty much run the same.

MultitrackStudio's built-in effects are pretty cool though. The vibrato is nice and exotic and does wonders for some synth sounds. The noise gate is so practical it kinda makes me wish that I had some noisy hardware to put through it :D . Probably my favorite "effects" are the stereo effect and multieffect, and band effect just because they multiply the amount of plugins I can use in creative ways.

Well, I'm rambling again. Take care :)
Saz

Post by Saz »

MrHope wrote:hey Saz, what other plugins do you like to use?
I like the SSS line of EQ's and some of the Classic plugins too.

Like Robo, I find the MTS effects fill most of my needs. Beyond that(not counting guitar-specific plugs), here's some other freeware plugins I like and use on occasion...

Audjoo_Helix.dll
AutoPan.dll
BLOCKFISH.dll
GlaceVerb.dll
dfx Monomaker.dll
Electri-Q.dll
Flux BitterSweetII.dll
MyMag.dll
ParisEQ.dll
Rescue.dll
RoomMachine844.dll
Synth1 VST.dll
TAL-Chorus-60.dll
TAL-Tube.dll
TerVoxSyn V2.dll
TLs-Pocket_Limiter.dll
NystagmusE

Saturation

Post by NystagmusE »

Saz, those are some fancy VST's!

thanks for sharing.
i noticed there are some other goodies at VSTplanet.
you must be getting a very full sound with all those saturators and tube effects :)