Removing DX Plugins

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
lgreen

Removing DX Plugins

Post by lgreen »

Anyone know how to remove DX plugins from MTS? I can't contact MTS 'cause the e-mail is being blocked again.
Robomusic

Post by Robomusic »

I an unsure what you want to do, do you want to remove the plug in from the slot? or from the system altogether? If from the slot, just reopen the slot and chose none, if from the system just go to control panel and remove software and remove the plug in, but i can't imagine why.
lgreen

Removing DX Plugins

Post by lgreen »

I want to remove DX plugins from MTS. They are not on my computer anymore (MTS says it can't load them) but still show up in MTS. This was causing a problem with the new V 5.0. Hopefully V 5.0.1 will solve that. I would still like to get rid of the DX plugins that I do not use.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:27 am Post subject: Version 5.01 is available for download

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new version can be downloaded now. It fixes a bug some people where suffering from: the effect/instrument selector would crash if there where more DX plugins than VST plugins on your computer.

By the way: this bug was found in 17 seconds thanks to a user sending an error report. I have the impression some people don't send reports for some reason, but you really should. If you don't send reports your problems won't be fixed.

Giel Bremmers
Bremmers Audio Design

You are aware that DX plugins, unlike VST plugins, INSTALL and thus write to the Windows Registry?

Check Add/Remove programs in Control Panel to see if you can still remove DX plugin there.

If you simply trashed the DX file, you got registry problems. There may be pointers to DX that are no longer there then. Dunno what to do with that other than deep registry cleaning.

VST plugins are .dll files, dynamic link libraries, safe to just move or delete them because .dll do not write to the registry.

But DX plugs are like .exe programs and write deep to the registry, should be installed and uninstalled like "regular" programs.

--Mac
NystagmusE

Un-registering DirectX plugins.

Post by NystagmusE »

How do I (un)-register DirectX plugins with Windows Vista (or perhaps XP)?
OK, I figured out the solution:

Follow these steps to register (DirectX) DLLs (or OCX's):
* On the Taskbar, select Start > Run.
* In the Open field, type regsvr32 "<path>\NameOfFile.extension", where <path> is the directory where the file is located on your computer and NameOfFile.extension is the name of the file.
For example: regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System32\ReverbDirectX.dll"
* Press Enter.

* To un-register/remove a DirectX DLL, type regsvr32 /u "<path>\NameOfFile.extension"

For example: regsvr32 /u "C:\Windows\System32\ReverbDirectX.dll"

Last resort:
This program might work to get rid of your DirectX plugin listings: http://www.analogx.com/contents/downloa ... /dxman.htm

The problem is that it is a really old program. It was designed to run on Windows 98 SE I think. I couldn't get it to work on Vista even in compatibility mode for Windows 98 SE. If your operating system is XP perhaps it will work. I'm not sure.

The way this DXman program works is you drag a DX plugin file to it's window and then respond to the message that comes up. Or you can select a listed file and press a button.

Both of these techniques don't delete the DX plugin, they just remove it from the Registry. It might work with other types of files besides DLL and OCX too.
Good luck
Theun

Post by Theun »

dxman runs here even on vista! Rightclick the downloaded file dxmani.exe and choose "run as administrator", and it installs. Seems to run without problems here. This tool can at least be of some help in locating the files that you want to remove.
There are some other tools still out there at the net, but most of them do not work at higher windows versions than win2k.

An alternative option for changing the register values by hand as suggested by mrHope is to download CCleaner [dl link here:
http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup211.exe ] .
This free program is able to find and resolve many registerproblems. It will let you make a copy of the registry before. Of course there are lots of other programs that can do the same.
Editing the registry by hand is risky, unless you know exactly what you're doing.
Mac

Post by Mac »

I second the report on the good and old dxman.

Good clean coding, easy to use, just like we enjoy with MTS.

--Mac
lgreen

Removing DX Plugins

Post by lgreen »

Thanks all for your help..........I asked Mr Google and he came up with:

Managing DirectX plug-ins

DirectX plug-ins are registered and have specific path locations written to the registry. For this reason, you should manage DirectX plug-ins using a third-party plug-in manager application. Use one of the plug-in managers listed below to turn off DirectX plug-ins which fail to initialize, or which cause Adobe Audition to freeze at startup. For detailed instructions on how to use the plug-in manager refer to the website listed below and the program's user guide.

Third-party plug-in management software

DXMan (DirectX plug-in manager)

www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/dxman.htm

VB Plugman (DirectX plug-in manager)

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/vb-audio/us/res ... lugman.htm

I was able to remove all except the Media Object plugins which Giel says are part of windows. Hey, but we have MTS V5.01 now so it's academic!