Question about transferring MTS files over the internet

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
firefly

Question about transferring MTS files over the internet

Post by firefly »

Is it possible to transfer files (WAV for example) over the internet from one person with MTS to another person with MTS? In other words, could someone record a bass part, send it to me on line, and I plug that bass part into a song I'm working on? Of course this is assuming a song/file at the same tempo, etc....

Also, if this is possible, can an earlier version of MTS transfer files to the most recent version?

Thanks for any information
Mac

Post by Mac »

I do online collaborations all the time. We don't care which program was used at either end or from multiple submissions because we simply export one track at a time as a wav track. If online transfer is required, use one of those big file sharing sites and it also helps to use a lossless compression program like Monkey's Audio on them to make the files smaller for the internet hop.

You must highlight or otherwise select the entire track from timeline 0:00:00 to the end so when the other guy opens it up in his software things will line up appropriately.

This method has worked successfully using one track from ProTools, one from Sonar, another from Reaper and mine from MTS. I think that MTS does the better job of mixing it all down, personally. But this is like childbirth, as Bill Cosby used to say, "it is the responsibility of the person who had it last" as he peered at his wife...

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Yes, the newer version of MTS (v5.xx) can read the older MTS versions.

A lot of people use the .RAR archive format for sharing audio files. It gets slightly better compression ratios than .ZIP

You might also want to try the .7z (7-zip) archive format which is quickly becoming about as popular as .ZIP files. .7z archives are designed to be able to contain large amounts of files and bigger files as opposed to .ZIP. The .7z format also has a better compression ratio than .ZIP, possibly better than .RAR too. It has other features too.

Check out PeaZip and 7zip: (PeaZip can use 7z files)

http://peazip.sourceforge.net/index.html
http://www.7-zip.org/

Of course for audio-specific compression, Monkey's Audio (like Mac mentioned) or FLAC would probably be OK.

One thing to bear in mind is that MTS's .GJS and .GJM proprietary file formats are already compressed. So you could try those too if you know for sure that the other person is using MTS also. Those could be emailed directly.

Bear in mind that compressed files, don't typically compress into an archive very well because they've already been shrunk down.
Mac

Post by Mac »

A word of caution.

While it may seem nice at first to be able to trade the entire mix file and everybody involved use the compatible (meaning the same) recording software, in real life this doesn't always work very well.

*If one guy is using a plugin that the other guy doesn't have installed, problems can arise quickly. Sometimes these are only indicated by strange error messages when attempting to load someone else's file into your copy of the program.

*Attempts to compress the entire project can be met with frustration. There are several different file formats involved. Also, the compression algo used for .wav audio should be designed for use with .wav audio.

There are other reasons as well, those of us who have been dealing with online collaboration recording a long time generally prefer the method I outlined to you above. Because we've tried all else and it works.

--Mac
NystagmusE

Post by NystagmusE »

Those are really good points, Mac. Well said.