Release 8.1.1 (July 15, 2015):
- Pianoroll: notes that are too high/low to appear in the pianoroll appear dimmed above/below the pianoroll while scrolling vertically.
- Touchscreen (Windows): selected pianoroll notes which are long enough get resize grip to move start of note (in addition to the one at the end of the note).
- Now detects if the default audio output device changes (on Mac the default audio input device is monitored as well).
- External MIDI Instruments and VST/AU plugins Instruments: no pitch bend range messages are sent if the pitch bend range is set to zero. Can be useful if the instrument uses controllers 100/101 for something other than RPNs.
- Score editor: notes shorter than current grid can be added/moved accurately without having to change the grid first.
Various bug fixes.
Release 8.1 (June 15, 2015):
- Support for Microsoft Surface Pro 3: new 'Pen with touch scrolling' mode. This mode works with pen exclusively, so you can't tap something accidentally with the hand palm. You can still scroll editors and lists with touch. A button is available for switching between pen and touch mode quickly.
- Windows: Added '200 %' and '240 %' values to Size box in Preferences window, so the UI can be scaled large enough on high-DPI screens like the Surface Pro's. Also added 'Auto (VST, ugly)' option which makes the program not dpi-aware so Windows scales the UI (including VST plugins) in a blurry way.
- Touchscreen (Windows): semi-transparent 'Rewind' / 'To last start' hints appear on touching the transport counter box.
- Touchscreen (Windows): Time stretching in track editors.
- Touchscreen (Windows): Onscreen MIDI keyboard can be zoomed horizontally using two fingers on the bar at the top.
- Touchscreen (Windows): pianoroll, score and audio editors can be zoomed vertically using two fingers on the editor itself (requires Windows 8 or newer).
- Touchscreen (Windows): pianoroll: selected notes which are long enough get resize grip to move start of note (in addition to the one at the end of the note).
- Touchscreen (Windows): "Sticky add/draw modes (touch)" option in Preferences window.
- Improved transport cycling: overview bar remembers cycle region after transport stopped, transport menu features 'Set Cycle Start' and 'Set Cycle End' options which can also be invoked with the F7/F8 keys. Cycling can be started by clicking the start button while pressing the C key, or by pressing C+Space. With touchscreen (Windows) or pen you can press-and-hold the start button.
- "Section Practice Mode" and "Set Cycle Start" Remote Control actions.
- Punch-in recording: transport now automatically starts at least one bar before punch-in point (2 seconds if editor timescale isn't set to bars).
- Matrix Sampler now displays the note to which the current cell responds.
- Redesigned Tuner effect.
- Tempo editor shows mixed version of tracks in background.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: use up/down arrow keys to step through instruments. With touchscreen (Windows) you can swipe up or down over the instrument box. Also works with the SoundFont Player presets (OS X).
- MP3 importing: file samplerate will now be converted if it doesn't match the song's.
- MIDI editors: tweaked graphics to make it easier to see which mode the editor is in.
- Issue with sending volume controllers (#7) to External MIDI Instruments.
- Mac: SoundFont Player ignored note-offs with certain soundfonts. You'll have to re-import these soundfonts.
- Mac: SoundFont Player ignored pitch bend range setting.
- Matrix Sampler's Volume knob settings weren't stored and recalled correctly.
- Pitch bend range messages are no longer being sent to Garritan 'CFX Concert Grand' VSTi (it conflicts with the plugin's stretch tuning controller #100).
- Touchscreen (Windows): playing legato on the Chords onscreen keyboard was difficult.
Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 8 (March 5, 2015):
- Names changed: 'Pro Plus' edition is now called 'Pro', 'Professional' edition is now called 'Standard'.
- Standard edition now contains the Guitar Amp effect and it can open existing 24/32 bits audio files. It comes without the Multitrack Editor.
- Multiband Compressor effect (Pro edition only).
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: virtually all instruments sound better. Acoustic pianos respond to Soft pedal (controller #67). Bowed strings and many winds respond the Legato controller (#68). Synths have Filter and Resonance knobs (and no longer use EQ effects for filtering). Drums have Bass/Snare/Toms/Hihat/Ride/Crash level knobs.
- MIDI editors: added 'swing' options to quantize resolution box.
- Note velocity editor now has 'draw' mode.
- Importing MIDI files: files can optionally be adjusted to song tempo.
- Mixer sections can be moved vertically using trackpad/mousewheel 'anywhere' (no need to use the scroll bar).
- Tracks can be switched to Practice Mode by doubleclicking the track's Play button. Tracks can now be in Practice Mode regardless of instrument or effect windows being visible. Having multiple tracks in practice mode simultaneously is now possible.
- Soft-monitored audio tracks: level meter shows speaker symbol to indicate output clipping (the meter itself shows the input level).
- Importing audio/MIDI files: files are now copied to song folder. A track's 'Open' option still opens file without copying.
- 'Import Audio/MIDI file' dialog now remembers folder.
- New songs automatically have a Reverb effect in the first Effect Return section.
- Presets can be imported/exported (see Preferences window).
- Mac: 'Mix down to audio file' can now create .m4a file.
- Tempo editor: BPM lower limit lowered to 8 BPM, so there's more room for fermata.
- External MIDI Instruments: controllers are now being sent right from the start (it used to wait until a note was played).
- Mac: copying effect slot from track to Edit Control window wasn't possible.
- Windows: fixed possible crash after disconnecting audio device (using 'Windows' audio driver type).
- Stereo Imager wouldn't convert stereo input to pure mono (Width=0 didn't work).
Release 7.82, Mac only (October 18, 2014):
The Mac version has been updated to get rid of the "MultitrackStudio can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer." message which OS X Yosemite presented when trying to run MultitrackStudio for the first time.
Release 7.81 (October 14, 2014):
- Mac: Updated graphics to match OS X Yosemite.
- Mac: Some SoundFont Player issues are fixed.
- Windows: Improved LAME MP3 encoder compatibility.
- Windows: Fixed issue with playback /recording level controls using Windows audio driver type.
- Sampler: Improved sf2 file compatibility.
- Audio track input selector: level meters work smoother with some audio devices.
Release 7.8 (September 15, 2014):
- Matrix Sampler.
- New 'Matrix' and 'Chords' onscreen keyboards.
- Overview bar shows editor data while scrolling an editor. Works for all editors except the Song Editor and Multitrack Editor. Works with Mac trackpad (OS X 10.7 or newer) and touchscreens (Windows)
- Audio input level fader appears at top of the main window when it's needed (if the audio device supports level control). The Audio Input Control window has been removed along with the 'Automatically assign channels to tracks' option.
- MIDI tracks using External MIDI Instruments now support automation of volume fader/pan knob (works for playback only). (Pro Plus edition).
- Enable Mixer button is removed from Song Properties window. Any existing songs using this will be converted automatically.
- Track audio input selector shows level meters even if Rec button isn't engaged. These meters don't appear in the Lite edition.
- Audio track can now be in practice mode even while other tracks are recording audio.
- Audio devices can have up to 140 channels now (was 96).
- Mac: editors scroll smoother with trackpad.
- Mac: improved .aif file compatibility.
- Improved LAME MP3 encoder compatibility.
- Pseudo Stereo effect is renamed to Stereo Imager, and now processes stereo input signals as well.
- Compressor, Dynamics, Phaser and Saturator effects no longer use a lot of CPU power while automated knobs are moving (Pro Plus edition).
- Convolutor effect: Volume knob can now be automated (Pro Plus edition).
- Echo effect: Mix knob now controls input of echo loop rather than output. This makes things like adding echoes to certain words only easier (using Automation).
- "Expand to Chord" menu plays the chord before clicking it.
- Onscreen keyboard's Keyboard layout has another octave of keyboard shortcuts.
- Audio editors could flicker while scrolling backwards.
- Exception error on trying to export empty song as .zip file.
- Windows: grid bar (above editors) didn't show cycle region if no markers were present.
Release 7.71 (June 30, 2014):
- Recording the master output to an audio track and the 'Mix down to audio file' feature didn't work if there were only MIDI tracks and no audio tracks.
Release 7.7 (June 23, 2014):
- Track editors ('part mode'), Multi MIDI Editor and Multitrack Editor: data moves visually while dragging/stretching/warping selected part.
- Drum editor: instruments can be re-ordered by dragging the names up or down.
- Drum editor no longer prematurely removes empty instruments.
- Dragging from audio to drum editor now always converts to beats rather than pitched notes.
- Pianoroll/score/drum editors: lassoed notes are now audible.
- Pianoroll/score: flattened/sharpened note is audible on clicking note using flatten/sharpen modifier key.
- Score Settings window no longer prematurely removes redundant key signature lines (from 'Edit changes' table).
- Audio editor Edit Control: Semitones and Cents boxes merged into a single box.
- Renamed 'Control Surface' to 'Remote Control'.
- Remote Control MIDI devices selection and Remote Control Bar visibility button moved to Remote Control window.
- Remote Control: effect knobs can be mapped from Remote Control Bar or via new 'Effect Control Map' action.
- Remote Control: mixer section or effect control can be unmapped by dragging it from Remote Control Bar to Garbage Bin.
- 'Stop playback at end of song' option in Preferences window.
- F8 key = Recycle (cycle last cycled part again).
- Click track: bar accents are more pronounced.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments and External MIDI Instrument windows: rightclick a control to make the corresponding controller editor visible.
- 'Export MIDI Tracks' can merge tracks using same MIDI channel, so file plays back corrrectly.
- (Windows) Touchscreen mode: editor 'Select All' button is now 'Sel', offers Select All/Select Right/Unselect Right/Play Cycling options.
- (Mac) Can install libmp3lame.dylib MP3 encoder by dropping it on main window.
- 'Record Master' is removed from recording options menu. An audio track's input selector now features a 'Master Out' option instead.
- 'Playback mixed down file' no longer switches off 'Enable Mixer' (in Song Properties window). The 'Enable Mixer' option will likely be removed in future releases.
- Audio Input Control window: 'Automatically assign channels to tracks' is now off by default. This option will likely be removed in future releases.
- DX/DXi plugin support is disabled by default but still available (32 bit Windows versions only).
- Various bug fixes.
Release 7.61 (March 24, 2014):
- Import/export zipped songs.
- Performance improvements in Guitar Amp (Pro Plus edition), Master Limiter, and EQ effects.
- MIDI input/output devices: tighter timing.
- Some touchscreen support improvements.
A couple of bugs have been fixed.
Release 7.6 (February 10, 2014):
- Show all effects in a mixer section simultaneously (keep 'M' key down while clicking slot).
- Mac: SoundFont Player (requires OS X 10.7 or newer).
- "Mix Down to Audio File" window: Channels box defaults to Mono if Master section's Mono button is engaged.
- MIDI controller / automation editor selector list items have subtle green dot if the editor contains any dots.
- Renamed Windows audio driver terms: Driverset, AsioSnd, VistaSound and WinSound are now 'Audio driver type', 'ASIO', 'Windows' and 'Windows XP'.
- Windows: MIDI / Control Surface devices settings no longer change if you change audio driver type.
- Mac: Select Devices window detects USB audio/MIDI devices which are plugged in/out.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: some sound improvements.
- Song editor: gridsnap now also works while there are no MIDI tracks.
- Some user interface improvements.
- Mac: MTC sync code wasn't sent correctly.
- Various bug fixes.
Release 7.5 (October 28, 2013):
- "MultitrackStudio Remote" iPad app.
- Mixer sections can optionally have 6 effect slots instead of 3.
- Half solo: doubleclick a solo button to dim other tracks.
- VST/AU output mixer has level meters.
- VST/AU output mixer supports multiple solo and half solo.
- Sampler supports Modulation controller (#1).
- VSTi plugins: drum editor can use text file with instrument names.
- VST/AU effect midi out data can be recorded to MIDI track.
- Level meter of recording audio track shows peak level since transport start (dimmed segment).
- Mac version takes advantage of Retina displays.
- Practice Mode now works with speed-only VariSpeed mode (Pro Plus edition).
- Support for Mackie Control and HUI control surface level meters and transport counter.
- Compatible with OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and Windows 8.1.
- Improved pen (stylus) support: easier scrolling and optional onscreen keyboards.
- 'Open same color MIDI tracks in Multi MIDI Editor' no longer opens track editors.
- Multi Midi Editor: redesigned track buttons, leaves a bit more space for editor.
- Multi Midi Editor remembers whether user wants it to cover the overview bar.
- Overview Bar now always shows all markers, even if it's passed the end of the song.
- Patchmap files can be unicode, so they can contain Asian characters etc.
- (Mac) Improved VST/AU compatibility.
- (Windows) Improved MIDI recording timing accuracy.
- MP3 'very high quality' could actually be 'high quality'.
- Various bug fixes.
- Mac: several more bug fixes.
Release 7.4 (April 29, 2013):
- Improved touchscreen support (Windows).
- 'To Song (Hi)' control surface action to make 'To Song' work with more than 128 songs.
- Automation Editor (Pro Plus) and Automated Fader windows can be resized vertically.
- Score editor has 'Split in equal parts' option, just like pianoroll.
- 'Size' setting in Preferences window to scale user interface independently from Windows DPI setting (Windows).
- Better DPI scaling for DPI value just above 96 (Windows).
- Tempo editor: tempo line is now updated while moving it vertically.
- Editor Edit/Delete and Undo/Redo buttons have been swapped.
- Score editor: '1'..'6' and dot buttons are replaced with a single dropdown list next to the '+' button.
- Score/pianoroll editor: 'Merge Notes', 'Expand to Chord' and 'Split in equal parts' now appear in 'More...' button list.
- Drag-and-drop: an image is visible while dragging an effect slot or mixer section etc.
- Pianoroll editor allowed for making note duration zero. This could cause problems, especially with cycling playback.
Release 7.31 (March 19, 2013):
- Gapless cycling: VSTi plugins which use transport information (Jamstix etc.) wouldn't cycle.
- Unmuting a stereo track which contains an Echo effect could cause crash.
- Audio track editing: crash when editing a new file, clicking undo, starting transport and then clicking redo.
- Songs having exactly one group section wouldn't open correctly (Lite and Professional edition).
- Score editor: issue with adding notes using the '1'..'5' mouse modifier keys.
Release 7.3 (February 27, 2013):
- Audio and MIDI tracks can now be edited while they're playing back.
- Web Browser control surfaces (use phone or tablet as simple remote control via WIFI).
- Tracks can be routed to audio device channels directly, just like Groups and Effect Returns (Pro Plus edition).
- Pianoroll editor can now change duration of multiple notes simultaneously.
- Patchmap files can now specify 'initialization sysex'.
- Control surfaces: new ToSection and ToMarker actions.
- VistaSound (Windows) and CoreSound (Mac) driversets: Audio Input/Output Control windows now have level fader if the audio device supports this.
- Audio Input Control windows and track input channel selectors have per-channel level meters if at least one audio track rec button is engaged.
- Windows 8 tablet support: several improvements. Most notably score editors can zoom vertically, and track editors open 'full size' when running on a small screen.
- Chords editor improvements: automatic capitalization, can type '\' instead of '|', unrecognized chords underlined in red, now supports '|C F|' instead of '|C - C - F - F|'.
- Chord track (generated from chords) improvements: user programmable patterns, several styles, tracks update automatically if chords change.
- Chords/Lyrics editors: type Tab/Shift+Tab to go to next/previous bar.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: acoustic pianos sound better, and sustain pedal sympathetic resonance is more realistic.
- (Mac) Custom patchmap files can now be placed in the user's Library/Application Support/MultitrackStudio/PatchMaps folder.
- Edited audio track files can be saved to file with original file name (for example: Piano.aem can be saved as Piano.wav).
- MIDI instrument selectors now show actual device names for external instruments rather than just 'External MIDI Instrument 1'.
- (Mac) Editors can zoom (using trackpad) while transport is running.
- (Windows) AsioSnd driverset: audio input channel assignments can be changed while recording.
- Audio Input/Output Control windows (except for AsioSnd Audio Output Control): changes are effected immediately (no need to click OK).
- Added keyboard shortcuts for transport cycling: Ctrl+F7 (Windows)/Command-F7 (Mac) sets cycle end marker, F7 starts cycling to cycle end marker.
- MP3 tag editor is now embedded in track file properties window.
- Pianoroll/Score/Drum editors can copy/past single notes.
- Song Editor didn't properly update display if there where no MIDI tracks.
- Fader and Pan tooltips could show wrong value after undoing automation (Pro Plus edition).
- Some VSTi plugins (Machine II) wouldn't work 'bridged'.
- There were ways to import an audio file without seeing samplerate conversion options dialog.
Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 7.21 (October 16, 2012):
Release 7.2 (October 4, 2012):
- Transport cycling: stereo audio files could cause program crash.
- Cycle recording: after a couple of cycles the Overview Bar no longer showed part after cycle region.
- Drum editor: Redo could cause exception error in certain situations.
- Song Properties-->Clean Up: deleting a .aem file could in rare cases cause crash when editing this track again.
- Control Surface: track Play/Rec buttons could be toggled when this shouldn't be possible.
- (Windows) Improved touchscreen support, now works with 10-inch Windows 8 tablets.
- There can now be multiple columns of mixer sections, so all the space of a large monitor can be used.
- Transport cycling now works without audible gap.
- Automation editors (Pro Plus edition), Automated Fader effect and Vocal Tuner key editor can now be used while the transport is running.
- Vocal Tuner now also updates pitch curves while transport isn't running, so you can see the result of tweaking settings immediately.
- Lyrics prompter (can show chords as well).
- Score editor supports transposing instruments (Bb clarinets etc.).
- "Ultra Dark" color theme. On Windows the Light theme is replaced with a new High Contrast theme.
- "To Song" control surface action, intended for playing backing tracks during live shows.
- "Start Playback" and "Start Recording" control surface actions.
- "Full Screen" button in bottom right corner (not on Mac OS X 10.7 or newer).
- Improved VST/AU plugin compatibility (Melodyne).
- Various user interface improvements (redesigned transport counter and group selectors etc.).
- BPM tappers are now embedded in windows like Add Click Track, so you don't have to click the Tap button first.
- A Control Surface can now have up to 64 channels (was 8).
- (Windows) full screen mode now fills all monitors which where covered by the main window.
- Narrow vertical strips next to the mixer sections are removed, this makes the vertical scrollbar easier to use. The Clip Shelf can now be made visible using the Studio menu.
- Transport position indicator and overview bar now show bars automatically if there are any MIDI tracks. Can be switched off in Preferences window.
- Editor and transport units (bars or seconds) are now stored in song files.
- Removed "Large Meters" setting from Preferences window. Meters now become large automatically if there's room for them.
- EQ effect: 1/3 octave and critical bands spectra now show vertical bars rather than lines.
- Phaser effect uses significantly less CPU power if there's no audio signal present.
- (Windows) Editor needles move smoother when playing back with AsioSnd driverset.
- (Windows) VST plugin causing exception error will automatically run bridged next time.
- (Mac) VST plugins can have Cocoa GUI (supports "hasCockosViewAsConfig").
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: Vibrato was broken in 32 bit Windows and OS X versions.
Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 7.14 (June 25, 2012):
Note: only available for the 64 bit Windows Pro Plus edition and all Mac editions.
Release 7.13 (May 18, 2012):
- (Mac) Graphics issue when resizing main window while scroll bars are visible.
- (Mac) Fixed some memory leaks.
- (Windows 64 bit) Issue with 24 bit .gjm/.gjs files. (Pro Plus edition)
Release 7.12 (April 24, 2012):
- Resource leak which could cause crash after running MultitrackStudio for a long time.
- Some minor issues.
Release 7.11 (April 12, 2012):
- "Mixdown to audio file" always wrote song's samplerate value to audio file even if you mixed down to a different samplerate (broken since 7.1).
- (Mac) Audio device couldn't be used if its name ended with a space character.
- (Mac) Improved AU compatibility.
Release 7.1 (March 7, 2012):
- (Windows) WinSound driverset "EMU10K1 44.1 kHz Sync Correction" option caused error.
- EQ: displaying "Output" or "Master Out" spectrum used a lot of CPU power.
- Importing .gig sampler patches: loop info sometimes missing.
- Audio track scrubbing could cause error if you pressed Delete while scrubbing.
- Some minor issues.
- Vocal Tuner effect.
- Transposer effect.
- Automatic effect delay compensation.
- VariSpeed can now be adjusted while transport is running (but not while recording). (Pro Plus edition)
- New "Speed Only" VariSpeed mode changes speed 50..150% without changing pitch. Doesn't work while recording. (Pro Plus edition)
- Effects in Group/Effect Return/Master sections can use tracks and group busses as sidechain source. (Pro Plus edition)
- Track sidechains can now be stereo. (Pro Plus edition)
- VSTi/AUi with multiple outputs: Up to 30 outputs can now be sidechain source (was 15). (Pro Plus edition)
- Can drag effects from mixer sections to track editor's Audio Edit Control.
- Grid bars (above editors): double clicking thumb starts transport, clicking anywhere on grid bar stops it.
- Overview Bar: double clicking thumb starts transport, clicking thumb again stops it.
- Redesigned "Mix down to audio file" window, it can now optionally remember the destination folder.
- "Record Master" is no longer limited to two audio channels (Pro Plus edition).
- "To Next Song" control surface action added.
- Faders and rotary knobs let you type value after Ctrl+click (Windows) / Cmd-click (Mac).
- Clean Up tool (Song Properties window) now lists unused alternate/partial takes as well.
- Effect/Instrument selectors show format (VST/AU/DX) if the effect is available in multiple formats.
- EQ spectrum display updates faster. Averaged "Output" or "Master Out" spectrum reflects changes immediately after turning knobs.
Release 7.01 (February 13, 2012):
- (Mac) Some AU instruments, like step sequencers, couldn't sync their transport to MultitrackStudio transport.
- (Mac) EQ spectrum display graphics issue.
- A couple of other fixes.
Release 7 (December 15, 2011):
- Changing fade type in multitrack editor caused error.
- Some exception errors caused more problems than necessary.
- Some VST plugins would crash if song recorded in Mac version was opened in Windows version or vice versa.
- Error if Outputs setting in Song Properties window exceeded 48 (Pro Plus edition).
- "Show tooltips" setting was always on again after restarting the program.
- Wizard is more robust.
- (Windows) Fixed 'Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window' error.
- (Windows) The settings file sometimes couldn't be written to.
- (Windows) VistaSound driverset better handles unplugging USB audio devices.
- (Windows 64 bit) Error if Compressor's Ratio and Knee knobs were turned up all the way (vintage programs).
- (Mac) Outputs of AU Instrument having multiple outputs couldn't be used as sidechain sources (Pro Plus edition).
- (Mac) Error occured if audio recording and playback devices didn't have any supported samplerates in common.
- (Mac) Control Surface Settings window "Info" button didn't work with most presets.
- (Mac) Numerical keypad Enter key didn't work.
- (Mac) Some cosmetic issues.
- A couple of other fixes.
- New Standard color theme.
- Better DPI scaling.
- All versions now support .aif files (was Pro Plus only)
- Onscreen MIDI keyboard now works while MIDI Keyboard Splitter window is visible.
- Mousewheel on small strips on left/right side now scrolls mixer sections vertically.
Release 6.5 (November 7, 2011):
- "Bridged" VST plugins received incorrect tempo information.
- Master Limiter's RMS meter didn't work at 192 kHz samplerate.
- A couple of other fixes.
- 64 bit version.
- Both 32 and 64 bit versions support 32 and 64 bit VST plugins.
- RMS level meter added to Master Limiter.
- Dirac Pro pitch shifting/time stretching is now twice as fast.
- Pianoroll: more vertical zoom levels.
- The "Insert" button is now called "Ripple".
- Easier error reporting: "Send Now" sends the report over the internet without requiring an email program like Outlook.
- "Export tracks as audio files" crashed if MIDI track selected.
- VST plugins didn't respond to multi-touch screens.
- A couple of other fixes.
Release 6.41 (June 7, 2011):
- "Add Click Track" produced MIDI file with wrong tempo information.
- Creating track from chords produced MIDI file with wrong tempo information.
- Score editor: double dotted notes could lead to rests being optimized out too agressively.
Release 6.4 (May 23, 2011):
- MIDI Note Velocity editor.
- Track audio/MIDI data appears in automation editors (Pro Plus edition), Automated Fader effect and Song Editor.
- "Export tracks as audio files" tool.
- VST window: F5 key reloads plugin, settings are preserved.
- VST folder customization using MtStudioLinks.txt files (include/exclude folders or plugins).
- Scrubbing in automation editors (Pro Plus edition), Automated Fader effect and MIDI controller editors.
- ACIDized wav files dropped on audio editor now match song tempo.
- Onscreen Keyboard: string instruments can be capoed.
- Input button can optionally open audio device control panel (if available).
- Last transport start position appears on Overview Bar as "dynamic marker".
- Last recording start/stop positions are available from Transport Options menu.
- MIDI editors: Piano/Score/Drum tabs instead of the small P/N/D buttons. "Wave" editor is removed but can be enabled again in Preferences window.
- Automation editors (Pro Plus edition) and MIDI controller editors appear tabbed.
- A couple of editor buttons (Repeat, Export etc.) have been merged into a new "More" button. The Preferences window can make them all visible again.
- Audio files dropped on audio editor are now converted to song samplerate.
- Transport start and stop buttons are merged into a single button.
- Onscreen keyboard and BPM tapper: improved timing accuracy.
- Stereo Merger and Sample Rate Converter can now be cancelled.
- Touchscreen support: various improvements in order to enhance usability.
- .aiff files can be opened without renaming to *.aif (Pro Plus edition).
- Convolutor detects file samplerate on loading IR file.
- Click track and chord tracks are updated when time signature changes.
- Click Track uses MIDI channel 10 by default again.
- Clicking Master's Mono button makes song "modified" and therefor saveable.
Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 6.32 (January 24, 2011):
Release 6.31 (December 21, 2010):
- Some VST plugin windows were too small in version 6.31 (Albino 3 for example).
- The Pitch Bend Range setting, introduced in version 6.3, now has no effect on Waldorf VST plugins because Largo uses the MIDI RPN controllers for other purposes.
- VST windows better support plugins that change size.
- VST GUIs get scrollbars if they're too big for the window/screen so they're still useable.
- VST windows: SideChain boxes are now on the right rather than on the left. Looks better and saves space. (Pro Plus edition).
- Lite edition: Added fade in/out to MultitrackStudio Instruments "demo" noise bursts. Hopefully this stops people thinking it's a bug.
Release 6.3 (October 25, 2010):
- Sampler: keys had wrong pitch if pitch bend range not equal to 2 semitones.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: loading preset that includes track effects could cause error.
- Multi MIDI editor: drum instrument selector could cause error.
- Cosmetic issue in Contact window method selector.
- VST output mixer wouldn't close with escape key.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: built-in General MIDI sounds.
- MIDI pitch bend range can be adjusted.
- Undoing "tweakable edits" now undoes the last tweak only, rather than all tweaks.
- Some effects use significantly less CPU power if there's no audio signal present.
Release 6.21 (May 24, 2010):
- Could not create medium-quality mp3 files using Lame_enc.dll.
- Score editor: 8va setting wasn't read from song file.
- mp3 files starting with corrupted frames now open.
- A couple of other bugs.
- MP3 encoding: a "lame_enc.dll" file in the "Program Files\MtStudio" folder can now be used for MP3 encoding. This feature was added because ACM codecs may not work properly in 64 bit Windows.
- Some small fonts looked bad with Windows DPI settings between 96 and 112.
- Song files (.hdr) had issues with some Asian Windows versions.
- Audio/MIDI devices settings couldn't be saved on a (very) small number of computers.
- Chord and Lyrics windows: the Keybrd button was present even if not in touchscreen mode.
- Clicking overlapping markers has been improved.
Release 6.2 (April 20, 2010):
- Mid/Side Effect (Pro Plus edition only).
- Vocal Removal effect preset.
- MIDI "Key Aftertouch" support.
- "Bass" MIDI instrument, which offers fingered and picked bass guitar sounds.
- The Guitar Amp effect sounds much better and is significantly more CPU-efficient.
- The Saturator effect has been redesigned.
- The Electric Piano instrument sounds better and features a new "Sticky Hammers" instrument.
- Better soundfont compatibility.
- "File Save" dialogs now use the file type you think it does.
- VST output mixer gets scrollbar if the channels don't fit the screen.
A couple of bugs have been fixed.
Release 6.1 (March 9, 2010):
- Vocal Pitch Correction (in audio track editors).
- Track editors can stretch or 'warp' parts. Both audio and MIDI.
- Audio pitch shifting (in audio track editors).
- Tempo editor can optionally change tempo of audio tracks.
- Audio/MIDI editors can reverse selected part.
- VSTi plugins can run 'bridged' (out-of-process). This can be used to utilise more than 2 GB of RAM on 64 bit systems.
Audio pitch shifting, time stretching and Vocal Pitch Correction are powered by DSP Dimension's Dirac Pro technology.
- .aem files: you can now browse for any missing edit files.
- Audio scrubbing tries to keep original pitch.
- MIDI: improved handling of overlapped unison notes (in MIDI files and while playing back)
- Pianoroll: "Join Previous Notes" is now "Merge Notes", and can merge more than two notes.
A couple of bugs have been fixed.
The lower editions now have some features which used to be Pro Plus only. Most notably, scrubbing is now in all versions, and the Professional edition now comes with the Wheel Organ and Electric Piano.
Release 6.01 (December 22, 2009):
- Sidechaining VSTi outputs to tracks sometimes didn't work (Pro Plus edition).
- Multitouch screens: scrolling the main window vertically could change the track order.
- .lst files (made with version 4 or older) could be deleted when undoing the first edit.
- Dragging a MultitrackStudio effect over a Jamstix VSTi window would lead to errors.
Release 6.0 (October 22, 2009):
- Touchscreen support. Multi-touch on Windows 7, single-touch on older Windows versions.
- Onscreen MIDI keyboard, works with (multi)touch or computer keyboard.
- Manual audio input channel assignment (optional)
- VistaSound driverset can optionally work in "pull mode". This works better when CPU usage is high. Not all drivers will support this correctly.
- Half-speed recording: VariSpeed now can not only be set to -200..+200 cents, but to -1400..-1000 cents as well. (Pro Plus edition only)
- Notation Settings window has 8va/Normal/8va bassa switch.
- All text fields support Unicode, so all international characters can be used in track names etc. Song files are still compatible with older versions.
- Automation editors can now add 4 dots in one go, to quickly attenuate or amplify a part. Similarly, MIDI controller editors can add 2 dots.
- Automation / MIDI controller editors show value of dot under mouse pointer.
- Automation / MIDI controller editors: you can now type a new value of the selected dot.
- Automation / MIDI controller editors: dots can be 'amplified', changing the vertical distance between the dots.
- Automation editors now show the actual parameter values rather than 0..100. VST plugins need to supply their own GUI and implement part of the Cockos VST Extensions for this to work. (Pro Plus edition only)
- Editors support Ctrl key + mouse wheel to zoom in/out. The left hand part of pianoroll and audio editors zooms vertically.
- Tooltips appear while dragging mixer sections to make it more clear where the section will go.
- Resizing track editors: screen is updated on-the-fly now
- Resizable windows have a dotted triangle in the bottom-right corner.
- Guitar Amp effect is more CPU efficient when used "live", to make it more usable on slower machines. Less oversampling is used. (Pro Plus edition only)
- Track faders and controller/automation editors are larger at high DPI settings (these were the only things not scaling yet).
- Audio devices can have up to 96 channels now (was 64).
- Add Audio Track window: "Number of tracks" box appears if audio in device has at least 4 channels (was 8). (Pro Plus edition only)
- Other improvements and somes fixes.
Note: Version 6 no longer works with Windows 95/98/ME.
Release 5.21 (May 25, 2009):
- Setting "Send sync code" in the "MIDI Out Device Option" window to "MIDI Clock" caused exception errors when starting the transport or closing MultitrackStudio.
- Drum editor: couldn't select note by clicking if not scrolled up all the way.
Release 5.2 (May 18, 2009):
- Major improvements in notation editor (better horizontal note spacing, multiple buttons to add now notes, keysignature changes, more tuplets etc.).
- MIDI event editors now have 3 modes: Select Part, Select Notes and Add Notes.
- MIDI controller and automation editors now have 3 modes: Select, Add and Draw.
- Multi MIDI Editor now features notation and drum editors.
- Practice mode to use software instrument, guitar amps etc. without recording them.
- Pianoroll/notation editors: lasso shows name of lassoed chord, if any.
- Dragging audio/MIDI between tracks now snaps to the original position if you're close.
- "Export MIDI Tracks" can optionally include lyrics and/or markers in the MIDI file.
- Number of first bar can be -9..1, allowing for various numbers of count-in bars.
- Audio and Pianoroll editors can zoom vertically.
- Editors: mouse pointer behaves more in line with Windows standards (when dragging etc.).
- Editors can do standard Windows style "click at start, Shift-click at end" selecting.
- Effects can be bypassed quickly by clicking the slot while keeping the B key down.
- Tuner effect redesigned for better visibility from a distance. New per-note offsets let you create custom tunings.
- Tested on Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bits).
- Add Click Track: "Accent on Beat One" is now "Bar Accents", and does a bit more to make the click track sound more pleasing.
- Time signatures can be typed instead of using the up/down buttons.
- "Extract temp from track": beats can represent 3/8, 7/8 etc. (not just 1/8, 1/4 etc.).
- Drum editor: notes appear like diamond shapes.
- Drum editor: "select similar notes" can now work on selected notes only.
- Multi MIDI Editor (pianoroll): notes of active track appear in front, this makes editing overlapping notes easier.
- Multi MIDI Editor: up/down arrows scroll the editor vertically.
- "Delay before recording" window remembers time value.
- "BPM Tapper" now works with mouse.
- Clicking an empty effect slot pops up selector (even if you didn't click the down arrow).
- Various other minor improvements.
- MIDI editor scrubber works better when zoomed out by a large amount (Pro Plus edition only).
- "Revert to Version" is more robust.
- A couple of other fixes.
Release 5.12 (March 26, 2009):
- Improved VST compatibility (EMU Proteus / Emulator).
- Song Editor: pasting could lead to incorrect Chords and Lyrics.
- VistaSound driverset: fixed crash-waiting-to-happen with multichannel audio playback devices.
- Patch Editor no longer creates superfluous empty backup copies.
- A couple of other fixes.
Release 5.11 (February 11, 2009):
- MIDI Quantize: problem with "Keep Note Off" quantization type.
- Import audio/MIDI file: optional samplerate conversion worked with .wav files only.
- Improved VST compatibility (DFH, D16 plugins).
- Multiple monitors: mousewheel didn't work on all monitors with some setups.
- Multiple monitors: position of window is now correctly remembered, even if it's maximized.
- A couple of other fixes.
Release 5.1 (October 31, 2008):
- The outputs of multiple output VSTi plugins (the ones having an Output Mixer), can now be sidechain sources. You can use this to route the outputs of a drum plugin to multiple mixer tracks. (Pro Plus edition only)
- VST effects having more than 2 inputs now get a Side Chain box just like the Dynamics/Compressor/NoiseGate effects. The second input pair receives the sidechain signal.
- VST instruments having audio inputs also get a Side Chain box. You can now, for example, use vocal pitch correction plugins in an Instrument Slot and use the track's pianoroll to enter the correct notes. (Pro Plus edition only)
- Some VST plugins come with a proprietary "sidechain input" plugin. The latter can now be loaded in the effect's "Sidechain Input" box to ensure correct behaviour on multiple-CPU machines. (Pro Plus edition only)
- Effects loaded in an effect's Side Chain box can now use side chains as well. (Pro Plus edition only)
- Effects in a multiple output VSTi's output mixer can now use side chains (Pro Plus edition only).
- The Effect/Instrument Selectors hide VST plugins which can't be used as effect/instrument respectively. They learn automatically.
- DX plugins which aren't an instrument now appear in the Effect Selector only, and not in the Instrument Selector.
- "DMO" (DirectX Media Objects) effects are no longer supported because they cause too much trouble (version 5.0 dropped support on Vista already).
- New cycle transport option: "Cycle selected part of focused track".
- Drum editor: Select All button is now enabled even while individual notes are selected.
- Search boxes now have 'clear' button.
- VistaSound driverset (for WASAPI drivers) now supports multichannel recording, and compatibility has been improved significantly.
- AsioSnd driverset can optionally use MMCSS (on Vista).
- Voxengo Elephant VST plugin crashed.
- Transport failed to start under certain (rare) sidechaining conditions on multiple-CPU machines (Pro Plus edition only).
- Some older VST plugins which don't provide a GUI of themselves failed to update the knobs on loading a preset.
- Song Templates: tracks could end up in wrong folder (Pro Plus edition only).
- Level meters on effect windows could stop working while using Soft Monitoring when soundcard buffersize is low.
- A track's "Alternate Take in new track" option now disengages the track's Play button.
- A couple of other fixes.
Release 5.02 (September 11, 2008):
- The Wizard's track recording options crash if there are no tracks in the song.
- The Sampler makes stereo 24 bit samples sound as mono if it's not playing at the root note (Pro Plus only).
- Saving MIDI tracks as audio ("freezing software instruments") doesn't work correctly if it's a stereo audio file.
- Some help file/manual corrections.
Release 5.01 (September 4, 2008):
- The effect/instrument selectors would crash if the number of DX plugins on your computer exceeds the number of VST plugins.
Release 5.0 (September 2, 2008):
- Carefully redesigned to make it easier and faster to use.
- Color themes: 3 new ones, and 2 classic ones.
- Song Editor (insert or remove parts affecting "everything": tracks, markers, tempo / time signature, chords, lyrics, automation)
- Multiple notes can be selected simultaneously in MIDI editors using either Ctrl key or new lasso.
- Multi MIDI editor: work with multiple tracks in a single pianoroll.
- The new .aem file format allows for much faster audio editing than the .lst files did. Existing .lst files can still be read.
- MIDI controller editors appear in track instead of separate window.
- Mouse wheel can scroll editors vertically if mouse is over editor.
- Files are no longer truncated at the point where recording starts (ie. if you record over the first minute of a two minute track the second minute will still be there). You can no longer inadvertently lose audio recordings this way.
- Sound on Sound Recording: recording without erasing what's already there.
- Song templates (Pro Plus edition only)
- Multiple Solo: multiple tracks can be soloed simultaneously.
- New effect / instrument selectors.
- Main window remembers position/size and whether it's maximized or not.
- All effect and instrument windows have a "Presets" button. The presets no longer appear on the Shelf.
- Effect and instrument slots have down arrow which pops up newly designed selector. Effect and instrument no longer appear on the Shelf.
- Add Track menu replaces all mixer section related Shelf features.
- Groups and Effect Returns can be added, removed and re-ordered while the transport is running.
- Level Meters can optionally be twice as big.
- Disabled ("grayed out") items show tooltip explaining why they're disabled.
- Native Vista File Open/Save dialogs are now used on Windows Vista, instead of the old-style windows dialogs.
- VST Output Mixer improvements: Solo and Mute buttons, Volume faders and Pan knobs can be automated (Pro Plus edition), Channel numbers equal the plugin's numbers.
- "Expand related sections only": expand all mixer sections contributing to the sound of a track or group, and collapse all other sections.
- Master Limiter gain reduction is shown in effect slot itself.
- An imported audio file's samplerate can optionally be converted if it doesn't match the song's samplerate.
- Markers in imported .wav files can optionally be imported.
- Songlist bar now has Play All button: can be turned off to avoid going to the next song inadvertently.
- Songlist Properties window no longer opens all songs in order to read its properties.
- VSTi automation timing resolution is now 4 times as accurate.
- The Autodetect Keyboard feature now automatically detects you're recording two tracks using two MIDI keyboards and will let you do so without you having to turn it off.
Many other improvements, fixes and performance enhancements.
- Audio punch-in recording related bug.
- Some DXi plugins weren't recognized.
Release 4.31 (December 5, 2007):
- Support for Frontier Design's AlphaTrack control surface.
- Multiple Core CPU support: all instances of some "bad" VSTi plugins are now run on a single processor to work around their flaws.
- Hardware Control Surface still works if another program is active.
- Convolutor's Mix button wouldn't mix mono input to the right stereo channel if a stereo IR was used.
- Multiple Core CPU support: effect sidechaining could lead to buffer-underrun messages if softsynth tracks where involved (Pro Plus edition).
- The "Mix down to file" option caused an error message if the Punch button was on.
- Random noise when using VSTi plugins which expect audio input.
- A couple of other fixes.
Release 4.3 (April 30, 2007):
- Cycle Recording: recording multiple takes automatically. Works for both normal and punch-in recording.
- Improved punch-in recording: you now can hear the existing parts before and after the punch-in region while recording. The recorded signal can be monitored all the time or in the punch-in region only. (Works for audio and softsynths, not for external MIDI synths).
- Pro Plus edition: Compressor, Dynamics and Noisegate effects in tracks can now use other tracks as sidechain trigger.
- Pro Plus edition: Guitar Amp has been overhauled for more realistic, less brittle, sounds. There are now three mic positions to choose from.
- Doubler now models tape based artificial doubletracking. Also allows for sixties style phasing/flanging.
- Some effects now use significantly less CPU power if there's no audio signal present. This includes the Guitar Amp and the Convolutor effect, which are the most cpu hungry ones by far.
- Loading a Multi Effect in a slot now loads the effect that was present in the slot in the Multi Effect.
- Dragging a Mixer Section to the Effect Presets shelf section creates a Multi Effect preset containing all the mixer section's effects.
- Unified Effects Selector: all effects appear in one list which can be text-searched. This includes the native MultitrackStudio effects,VST and DX plugins, Convolutor impulse responses and effect presets.
- New "Electric Piano" synth (Pro Plus edition only).
- Wheel Organ sounds more realistic (Pro Plus edition only).
- Create simple sampler patches easily: you can now drag a part from an audio track editor, an audio clip from the shelf, or an audio file from Windows Explorer to a Synth Slot. A sampler patch will be created from the audio part automatically.
- Sampler can import sfz files (OGG compressed audio files not supported).
- Dragging a Track to the Synth Presets shelf section creates a Synth preset with the track's effects included.
- Unified Synths Selector: all synths appear in one list which can be text-searched. This includes the native MultitrackStudio synths,VSTi and DXi plugins, sampler patches and synth presets.
- Audio and MIDI files can be dropped on track editors. This is very useful for plugins like EZdrummer.
- Audio edits can be removed from .lst file in a track's properties window.
- Mixdowns are now compensated for the delay which may be introduced by effects in the Master section (like the Master Limiter), so any track bounces are in perfect sync.
- The VistaSound driverset (for WaveRT drivers) now supports multichannel playback (not recording) in the Pro Plus edition. It's now included in the MultitrackStudio installer and it's the default driverset on Vista.
- 32 bit floating point .aif files and AIFC-type fixed point .aif files supported (Pro Plus edition only).
- Audio engine can now use up to 8 CPUs.
Various other improvements and fixes.
- 32 bit .wav files didn't properly clip overloaded signals.
- CPU usage indicator now works in Vista even if not running as administrator.
Release 4.21 (January 30, 2007):
- Deleting a punch-in recording immediately after recording it could cause an error later on.
- VST plugins which pop up a "demo expired" message instead of loading caused an error.
- Audio track editors didn't always automatically paint waveform.
- Fixed incorrect effect send assignment in UC33 control surface preset.
- Pressing the space bar ("start/stop") while keeping the arrow left/right key ("rewind/fast forward") down caused an error.
- An audio effect could sometimes be removed from the mixer section when creating a preset.
- Dragging an effect which is inside a Multi Effect to the slot which contains the Multi Effect caused an error.
A couple of other minor fixes.
Release 4.2 (November 6, 2006)
- Effect windows no longer disappear when you click the transport buttons / overview bar / mixer faders etc. There can still be only one effect visible at a time.
- Optional light background theme for editors.
- Tracks: File name boxes can have different colors for better overview. The track's editor will use this color as well.
- "Paste" now uses the needle position (which equals the transport position) instead of the start of the selected part.
- Copy/Paste buttons on controller editors, automation editors en Automated Fader effects. Data can be exchanged between these editors.
- You can now doubleclick MIDI notes and patterns to edit them (instead of using the EDIT button). Doubleclick Markers and Labels to rename them.
- Groups and Effect Returns can be re-ordered using drag-and-drop, just like Tracks. Works only if transport is stopped.
- Tempo editor: Automated Faders, automation data and markers are updated if the tempo is edited.
- Tempo and Time Signature editors have Copy, Paste, Repeat, Delete and Cut buttons.
- Markers and Lyrics from MIDI files can be imported.
- Mouse scrollwheel can scroll selector lists and vertical scrollbars.
- MIDI File Merger tool, merges all MIDI tracks in one MIDI file. This is intended for moving the MIDI tracks to a notation program.
- Shelf can stay folded out (click the "screw holes").
- Presets of mixer sections (including Tracks).
- Triplet of 8th and 16th items in shelf's Midi Notes section (to add triplets easily).
- "Select Left" and "Select Right" options on editor popup menus.
- Truncate File option on audio track editor's popup menu (truncates file destructively).
- Drum editor: toggle between single-instrument and all-instruments by clicking instrument name.
- Exception errors caused by VST plugins can do less harm.
- WinSound driverset: better audio recording/playback synchronization.
- Windows Vista (RC2) compatibility.
- MultitrackStudio can be used by "limited account" Windows users. Multiple users on a computer now have their own preferences and song folders etc.
- Better "High DPI" behaviour: almost all user interface elements enlarge if you increase the Windows DPI setting.
- Audio to MIDI conversion: note length is more accurate.
- RMID (RIFF MIDI) type MIDI files can be opened.
- BWAV (Broadcast Wav) .wav files can be opened.
- Several speed improvements (GUI painting, MP3 files appear in track editor faster etc.)
- VST windows can grow bigger than the initial size (for Albino 3 VST plugin).
- Pro Plus: Automation editor: parameters appear in a list instead of in the menu if there are more than 16 parameters. This makes plugins with many parameters easier to use.
- Pro Plus: the sidechain menu of Compressor etc. detects adding/removing Effect Returns again (was broken in 4.1).
- Patterns are saved in .mpt files again (was broken in 4.1).
Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 4.1 (May 29, 2006)
- Hardware control surface support.
- Mixer sections can be collapsed to save space.
- Level meters of recording audio tracks: righthand segment flashes if overload occurred. Rightclicking resets it.
- 24 bit losslessly compressed .gjm and .gjs audio files (Pro Plus Edition only).
- Chords and Lyrics. Can be displayed in almost any editor
- Pianoroll: While selecting a part: if the selected notes make a chord the chord's name is displayed.
- Pianoroll: added big size view
- Click Track Generator and Tempo Editor: tempo values can be entered by tapping on the space bar.
- The intensity (brightness) of the green displays and editors is adjustable.
- 'Mouse Modifiers' to edit individual notes quickly (volume, duration etc., or even 'expand to chord').
- Drum Editor: delete, drag or change volume of similar notes in similar bars simultaneously.
- Audio engine takes advantage of dual core CPU.
- Toggle Play, Rec, Mute or Edit buttons of all tracks simultaneously (use Ctrl key)
- VST/DX windows: click the 'metal' to return keyboard focus to MultitrackStudio (if plugin has taken it).
- New improved help system.
- Yellow hint balloons appear at more convenient locations.
- Selector windows (the VST plugin selector etc.) can be resized.
- Convolutor effect works faster when used 'live', or when using an Intel CPU (it was fast on AMD already).
- Notation Editor: better 'cleaning up' of non-quantized notes.
- Notation Editor: added Tenor and Alto clefs.
- MIDI file resolution doubled.
- Improved VST plugin compatibility (Jamstix).
- Various other improvements and minor fixes.
Release 4.02 (December 20, 2005)
- Normalizing a silent part caused an error.
- Notation editor: clicking an extremely short note (like 1/256) hangs the program.
- Some DirectX plugins weren't recognized.
- Saving MIDI tracks as audio: MIDI controllers at the start of the file were ignored sometimes.
- “Multiple stream” MIDI files: the track editor sometimes showed old data.
- Sampler used more memory than necessary.
- Pro Plus edition only: rare but nasty error that bothered some SoundBlaster Live! users (but could happen with any soundcard in theory).
- A couple of other minor fixes.
Release 4.01 (October 25, 2005)
- A lot of VSTi / DXi plugins had timing problems or missed notes in playback mode.
Release 4.0 (October 18, 2005)
New (Pro Plus edition only):
- Mix down to master 'offline' rather than in real-time.
- Playback the mixed down file easily.
- Most selector windows (like VST plugin selector) now have a 'search' box.
- 'Filling' of audio editors no longer blocks the user interface: you can continue your work while audio data is being read from disk.
- Edit operations can be canceled while they are being performed.
- A new folder is created for each new song automatically (you can specify a "base' folder in the Preferences window).
- Closing a new song without saving it optionally invokes the Find Unused Files tool, so you can delete your experiments.
- Overview Bar shows playback/editor position graphically. It also displays the markers.
- An editor's position indicator can now be moved using the mouse. The editors scroll horizontally automatically if necessary.
- Editors scroll horizontally (and vertically if it's a MIDI editor) automatically in response to mouse movements when dragging or resizing.
- Stick labels to mixer sections ('Reverb' to Effect Return etc.).
- Disk space indicator shows max. audio recording time left.
- Move data between track editors using drag-and-drop.
- Level meters are now stereo (if the audio signal is stereo). Clicking a meter pops up a much larger meter in a new window.
- Audio track editors show stereo channels separately (they can't be edited individually).
- Balloon hints (can be turned off in Preferences window).
- Use mouse wheel to control knobs, faders and up/down buttons.
- Keyboard Splitter and ASIO audio input/output control support presets.
- New "Tuner" effect to tune guitars etc.
- The Multitrack Editor shows individual tracks separately.
- MIDI controller editors support "free hand drawing".
- Tempo editor can import tempo from both audio and MIDI tracks. Now you can, for example, record handclaps along with your acoustic guitar track and extract the "beats" from the handclaps track.
- Audio can be converted to MIDI and vice versa. Just drag-and-drop or copy-and-paste between audio and MIDI tracks. (Audio to MIDI conversion works for monophonic signals only, MIDI to audio requires a softsynth.)
- MIDI tracks using a softsynth can be saved as audio. This can be used to 'freeze' the soft synth in order to reduce CPU usage.
- The sampler now supports sustain and release samples. The max. number of layers has been increased to 16. Legato and Brightness controllers are supported. Better handling of very large patches.
- Pieces of audio or MIDI data ('Clips') can be stored on the Shelf.
- "live" softsynth performances that weren't actually recorded appear on the Shelf, so you can recover them.
- New "Parallel Effect".
- "Center" rotary knobs by clicking them while keeping Shift key down.
- Windows DMO effects are available as DirectX effects.
- Automation of mixer (faders and knobs), effects (knobs) and VST/DX plugins.
- New "Guitar Amp" effect, emulates three vintage guitar amps.
- Improved live multitrack recording: you can now toggle all Rec buttons at once, add multiple tracks at once, and create a new instance of the current song.
- Now includes the Wheel Organ add-on.
- Improved editor layout: the score editor's clefs now appear on the left hand side.
- Score editor recognizes triplets.
- Added normalize function to audio track editors.
- Wheel Organ's Rotor effect has been improved.
- Editor mouse operations have a more 'relaxed' feel to them.
- Fixed rare bug where the program "forgot" to play audio edits, even though they where visible in the editor.
- Better mp3 acm codec compatibility.
- Many more improvements and fixes.
Release 3.11 (December 2, 2004)
- Fixed bug in audio track scrubber (Pro Plus edition only)
- Improved VST plugin compatibility. Waves plugins can now be used as VST plugins.
- Trying to merge stereo files crashed Stereo Merger tool.
- Some other fixes.
Release 3.1 (May 3, 2004)
New (Pro Plus edition only):
- Default-named audio/MIDI files or tracks can be created easily (from within a track or using the Recording menu).
- Tracks, Songs and Songlists can be renamed.
- MIDI file splitter (loads streams in separate tracks).
- All MIDI controllers are supported (except data entry and RPN).
- Knobs can be controlled by rotary or vertical mouse movements.
- MIDI editors: notes that are being added, selected or moved are audible.
- Manual compensation for soundcard driver with sync problems.
- Track editors: mouse operations are audible ("scrubbing"). Works on both audio and MIDI tracks.
- 176.4 and 192 kHz samplerates are supported.
- .aif files are supported.
- "Vintage Reverbs" impulse response files for Convolutor effect.
- Reverb effect: the four programs sound significantly better.
- Exciter effect: new oversampled algorithm for smoother sound.
- Master Limiter: sounds better (release time is program dependant).
- Convolutor effect: can now be used 'live', changing IR file no longer requires transport restart, added some controls.
- EQ effect: per-section bypass buttons, improved Low Mid and High Mid algorithms no longer affect treble frequencies.
- Tremolo effect: Stereo and Vintage buttons added.
- Saturation effect: improved tube and tape distortion modelling.
- Doubler, Phaser and Echo effect have been improved.
- Sampler: Pitch Wheel and Detune knob now affect playing notes.
- Samplerate Converter tool: better sound quality.
- Moving effect knobs produces less clicking noise.
- .wav files can now be up to 4 GB.
- Drum editor: dragging a note no longer changes its duration.
- Improved .gig file import, ASIO compatibility and DirextX plugin compatibility.
- Better graphics.
- MIDI punch-in recording works again (was broken in 3.0 version).
- Pasting stereo audio in mono track now works.
- Various other fixes and improvements.
Release 3.0 (October 22, 2003)
New (Pro Plus edition only):
- MIDI note editors now appear in Track editor instead of separate window.
- Notation editor.
- MIDI pattern editing.
- Dynamics effect (combined expander/compressor/limiter).
- Phaser effect.
- Sidechain effects on Noisegate and Compressor
- Graph on EQ.
- Tape type monitoring (play audio effects live, ASIO only).
- Multiple MIDI Out Devices (Professional: 2, Pro Plus: 4).
- In case of an error an error report will be generated that can be sent via email.
- The support email link now attaches a status report in order to improve support.
- Statistics display on limiter, compressor, dynamics and noisegate.
- Group and Effect Return sections can be routed to soundcard outputs.
- Track effect sends can be routed to sidechain inputs of Noisegate, Compressor and Dynamics effects in Group, Effect Return and Master sections to make ducking etc. possible.
- EQ features spectrum analyser.
- Built-in MIDI merger.
- Bars count from '0' (instead of '1'). Using the first bar for count-in the music will now start at bar '1'.
- Noisegate: fixed 'leak-through' when closed.
- Pseudo Stereo: comb mode works again (defect since version 2.0).
- Clicktrack Generator: can now override current tempo / time signature.
- Automated Fader: new events now added with single-click instead of double-click.
- Pianoroll and Drum Editor: easier operation.
- Better ASIO compatibility.
- Triplets added to Quantize function.
- Audio/MIDI editors: Dragging with CTRL button works as copy, dragging without CTRL works as move.
- Effects can be copied using Ctrl button
- Sampler: exclusive groups added, samples can be panned individually, so drum patches can be more realistic.
- Many more enhancements and optimizations.
Release 2.12 (January 15, 2003)
- MIDI Port and track editor no longer ignore MIDI controller 7/10 events at zero tick.
- Certain MIDI files ('format 0') no longer load with an unnecessary empty stream.
- Improved sf2 file compatibility.
- Trying to record more audio channels than available no longer leads to unpredictable behaviour.
Release 2.11 (October 14, 2002)
- MIDI files containing RPN values other than 0 or 1 could not be loaded properly.
- The Tempo Correction option caused problems with some MIDI editing actions.
Release 2.1 (July 31, 2002)
- Includes wizard that helps new users.
- Supports VST plugins having multiple outputs.
- Pro Plus edition: Track's Save As and Export functions now work properly regardless of the file's bitdepth.
- VSTi/DXi plugins respond to all MIDI streams in the track.
Release 2.01 (July 3, 2002)
Fixed Windows 2000/XP soundcard driver problems (glitches in recordings / computer reset on program start).
Release 2.0 (July 1, 2002)
- ASIO driver support.
- External MIDI sync (MIDI clock / MTC).
- Compensates for SoundBlaster Live! 44.1 kHz full-duplex problem.
- MIDI Port and Sampler have additional controls (DeTune, Reverb etc.).
- MIDI Port and Sampler patches can be selected using categories.
- Editors have Merge function.
- VST plugins read all fxb/fxp banks and presets (including 'chunks').
- DX plugins expose their static presets.
The new Pro Plus edition features:
- Song files can exceed 64 kB.
- Wav files now have correct samplerate tag.
- All 16384 MIDI banks can be used (was 128).
- Better MIDI and SF2 file compatibility.
- Better VST and DX plugin compatibility.
- Various other improvements and fixes.
- 24/32 bit .wav file support.
- 88.2/96 kHz samplerate support.
- Multichannel recording (using ASIO driver).
- VariSpeed control.
Release 1.2 (February 21, 2002)
- Master Limiter
- Easy access to Windows Record Control
- DXi (softsynth plugin) support
- MP3 support (Professional edition only)
- Better help and manual.
- Band effect can now have 2 or 3 bands and allows mono to stereo conversion.
- Values can be typed instead of using up/down buttons.
- Sampler: volume/expression affect playing notes, and their curves follow the MIDI specs (existing tracks using these controllers may need some adjustments).
- VST plugins can read .fxb preset files ('chunk' files not supported)
- Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 1.1.1 (February 14, 2002)
Lite edition only. Appeared on Computer Music issue 44 cover-CD. Identical to release 1.1, but with samples added.
Release 1.1 (December 5, 2001)
- Drum Editor shows instrument names instead of notes.
- Enhanced click track generator.
- Program hangup on loading particular VST Instruments (Dynamo, Sample Tank, SR-202).
- Occasional program hangup on loading large sampler patches.
- Occasional program hangup on starting/stopping sampler (win 2000/XP).
- Tempo Editor (occasional unexpected behaviour).
- Note Display in Flanger, Doubler, Tremolo, Echo, Chorus and Vibrato effect.
- Some SF2 drum patches loaded incorrectly (instruments left out).
Initial release (November 9, 2001)