crackling over hdmi audio

Discuss working with MultitrackStudio.
Rocket88

crackling over hdmi audio

Post by Rocket88 »

I have a windows 10 system. I am hearing quite a bit of crackling noise when I play back any audio through MTS.

There is no crackling when I output sound to my usb microphone's headphone jack. It's a samson q2u.

I've since noticed that other audio to this hdmi output has some crackling, but none when I playback movies or youtube videos, etc. But with MTS, or even mp3's that it generates, it is pronounced. So, it's pretty clear that something that MTS does and other programs too can overload the hdmi audio channel.

Is this a known issue with hdmi audio? Is there anything that can be done to alleviate it?

I'm using an amd gpu (rx460) that sends output to a tv (passing through an hdmi switcher).
uncle808us

Re: crackling over hdmi audio

Post by uncle808us »

I have a similar experience. audio recording starts out fine but after switching off and on the montior button The audio starts cracklining. Fine on play back but annoying while recording. I suspect some bug in the monitoring button.
Support

Post by Support »

Please send a report to support@multitrackstudio.com, so I can see your settings.

https://www.multitrackstudio.com/contact.php explains how to do that.

Giel Bremmers
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Next time it happens. I will send a report.
Rocket88

Post by Rocket88 »

Support wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:48 am Please send a report to support@multitrackstudio.com, so I can see your settings.

https://www.multitrackstudio.com/contact.php explains how to do that.

Giel Bremmers
Ok, I have the report. Am sending it in.

(excuse my sending twice, i got email glitches with the text attachment it seems)

A couple of items.

Of the 3 tracks in the demo1 only the bass track (solo) gets any crackle.

I installed MTS on my other computer, and it's output is a realtek audio device, part of the MB. I have no problems with it there at all. The other difference is the machine with a problem is the newer intel cpu, an i7-12700k with an asrock extreme MB.

The other difference is the system with the crackling, I even get a bit of a crackle when I just go to the speaker icon in the tray, and tweak the volume up/down a bit and they play a short fanfare. So, I'm beginning to think that it's my hardware. I tried a new hdmi cable and bypassed my hdmi-switcher. No difference. I also have a 2nd monitor, also hdmi, but through a display port to hdmi adapter, but coming from the same video card, and it too has the crackle. And as mentioned, if output is over the usb to the mic's mini-plug to headphones, no problem there either.

I haven't yet tried using the mb's built-in audio, as I have that disabled in the bios.

Anyway, bottom line here is it seems to be the cpu/mb/gpu/hdmi combination. If there's no solution to get around the problem, I can just live with it, since I can just use my older machine.
Support

Post by Support »

Thanks for the info.
Rocket88 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:57 pmOf the 3 tracks in the demo1 only the bass track (solo) gets any crackle.
I think all tracks are affected. The crackles probably aren't easily noticeable in the other tracks.

You can try this in the Studio-->Devices window:
- switch off "Shared Mode"
- try a larger Latency setting.

If Shared Mode is used the latency is pretty much fixed by Windows, so switching it off gives you more room to play with.

Since you seem to be rather computer savvy you might want to try this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... cy-issues/

Giel Bremmers
Rocket88

Post by Rocket88 »

Support wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:36 am
You can try this in the Studio-->Devices window:
- switch off "Shared Mode"
- try a larger Latency setting.
It had no effect that I could tell.

That article you referenced tells me it's almost certainly a driver issue since when I use the usb headphone jack on the mic there's no crackle, and usb uses a different driver.

So, the solution was staring me in the face. I was thinking I didn't want to use headphones all the time, but then I remembered my sound system has another input so a 3.5 stereo headphone jack to l/r rca jacks cable is working perfectly now.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm good to go now.